bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tombs that opened  (Read 5262 times)

lorrie

Tombs that opened
« on: May 24, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »

I have been reading  matthew27-52,53 'And tombs opened,and many godly men and women who had died came back to life again.After Jesus' resurrection they left the cemetary and went to jerusalem and appeared to many people there.'
It does not read like a parable nor a metaphore.So i am concluding that this actually happened.And i am thinking these men and women were/are the first fruit,elect of the jews.
Any thoughts?

chav

Re: Tombs that opened
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »

Hi
I think if you look on the spurious scriptures link you would see the following phrases within the scriptures you mention ,may not be scriptural.

Matt. 27:52
 and the graves were opened*

Matt. 27: 53
 and went*

I don't think they would have been the first fruit elect as you suggest , because at that time Christ had not yet risen.There is no evidence to suggest they had obtained immortality either ,and no doubt would have died later.
It's a puzzling story however and I wonder why it isn't mentioned in other accounts.

Dave

lorrie

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 06:46:36 PM »

HI Dave-Yes It is a curious passage, however it does say ;'AFTER Jesus' resurrection['t.l.b.] then they went into jerusalem.I have wondered why it is only in matthew too.
Perhapes it was taken out of the other gospels to give folks the impression that we truly leave this earth as immortal souls?

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »

If the passage is authentic it doesn't contradict anything taught here.

God simply brought back to life those whom had died as another miracle of Christ's to give those who doubted the ressurection of the dead a means of hope and belief.

We know live through faith, we know in our hearts that Christ is raised and that the dead shall indeed live again so we no longer need these miracles, the miracle is God in our hearts changing us from beast to saint!

Those that were ressurected died again after they lived the time God has ordained them to live and await the ressurection of the dead unto judgement as all the others whom sleep in the grave.

Furthermore, i do not have any personal reason to believe they represent the elect in any way. If someone can show they do, than i will gladly reconsider my opinion. Atm though, i see no reason to believe they do.

God bless,

Alex

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »

I know this question has been answered before on the forum.
Maybe in one of Rays emails.
I think this verse only confirms the resurrection of the dead.
The dead will be raised to live again.
But then they assuredly died again as did Lazarus.
I think this is another type and shadow of things to come.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking. :)

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »

Hi Jaguar,

Here is an email question similar to yours with Ray's reply.

Antaiwan, your answer was right on the mark.

René

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ray,

I have somewhat at an end and can not explain the following verse:
MATTHEW 27:51-53
51At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Critic says: This verse proves the start of those who died after their life here on earth  has ended gone up to paradise.

I know that on the second coming those who died in Christ are the first who will be resurrected. But somehow what does these Mat. 27:51-53 means and implies? Does Jesus preach in hell as many believes is there a verse on this?

Hope you find time for me on this.

Thanking you in advance, I shall be waiting for your reponse. May the good Lord Jesus bless you.

Cesar

Dear Cesar:

Those resurrected at the time of Christ's crucifixion were saints well-known in Jerusalem. Jesus had publically stated that He is the resurrection. The resurrection of these saints was proof of His statement.

These saints were resurrected physically, so that they could be seen by those who knew them and who knew that they had died. They were not given immortal bodies at that time, and hence, just like Lazarus, died again. In the resurrection to eonian life, the saints are given SPIRITUAL bodies and immortality, not physical life (I Cor.15: 44).

God be with you,

Ray

lorrie

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:38:39 PM »

Thanks for the information now i know the answer..I would like to say though personally, i dont think i would be a happy camper if i knew i was going to die again!Haw Haw.

jerreye

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 02:40:41 PM »

I think a passage from Paul clears up any confusion on this:

2 Timothy 2:18 "...Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some [with such a lie]."

Little Joe

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »

God simply brought back to life those whom had died as another miracle of Christ's to give those who doubted the ressurection of the dead a means of hope and belief.

I've often wondered about this passage also, and I think Alex's explanation is the most reasonable.

Blessings,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 24 queries.