bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost in Translation  (Read 4329 times)

kweli

Lost in Translation
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:42:23 AM »

2 Peter 1:20

knowing this first: that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation (King James Version)
[I think this says no prophecy of the scripture is interpreted privately. Maybe in one's own privacy or in private. Not sure.]

this first knowing, that no prophecy of the Writing doth come of private exposition, (Young's Literal Translation)
[This could mean no prophecy of the writings in the bible comes from a private explanation. Possibly so.]

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. (New International Version)
[Here it could mean no prophecy of the scriptures can be based on what the prophet understood it to mean, or something like that.]

But you need to realize that no one alone can understand any of the prophecies in the Scriptures (Contemporary English Version)
[This sounds simple enough. No one alone can understand any of the prophecies in the scriptures. No one alone. So maybe if we are more we'll be able to understand the prophecies. Wait, there's a verse that says something about a testimony being established in two or three witnesses. Maybe that what this verse means]

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy in Scriptures ever came from the prophets themselves (New Living Translation)
[Clear enough. No prophecy ever came from the prophets themselves. They came from somewhere. Hopefully from God. I understand that, I think.]

with this most clearly understood, that no prophetic Scripture can be explained by one's unaided mental powers (International Inductive Study New Testament)
[I think this one is saying no prophetic scripture can be explained by one's mental powers, unless he is aided by something, hopefully the Holy Spirit. But it doesn’t say so maybe I'm guilty of adding to the Word.]

We definitely need Spiritual discerning of God's Word.  ;)

May His Spirit guide us

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Re: Lost in Translation
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »

Hey kweli
They seem to say all the same thing :)

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

joyful1

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »

:D Hi guys!
This is from Ray's teaching:

http://bible-truths.com/lake5.html

THE KEYS TO SPIRITUAL INTERPRETATION

We will consider four guiding Scriptures:

1. "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation" (II Pet. 1:20).

The KJV is not the best translation of this verse—it is neither by far the worst. The word "private" tends to fog the understanding of this Scripture. If no Scripture is to be of a "private" interpretation, are we to look for a "PUBLIC" interpretation? That sounds silly.

This is a profoundly important verse when it comes to interpreting Scripture. Yet, I doubt that there are many who understand this verse.

The Greek word translated "private" in the KJV is the word idios, and although it can mean private or separate, more specifically it has reference to "one’s OWN" or "his OWN" or "their OWN" or "your OWN" or "OWN." In this case, it would mean "ITS own" as a prophecy is non-personal and inanimate. See Strong’s Greek Dictionary p. 119. ...

...I go to all these extra efforts of showing you the Greek so that you can be convinced yourself and not just believe that this is "my interpretation" of how a verse can or cannot be "interpreted."
===============

(* BOLD is added by me)
Joyce :)

kweli

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »

Thanks for bringing that to light Joyce

Hello Antaiwan

Let me put it to you like this. Please also bear in mind that English is not everybody's first language. It's actually my third language.

If someone owns a CEV for instance, and reads that verse, they would think it is saying "But you need to realize that no one alone can understand any of the prophecies in the Scriptures". If someone else is reading from a IISNT (I used to love this version and was stuck to it until I came to understand translations) they would think this verse is saying "with this most clearly understood, that no prophetic Scripture can be explained by one's unaided mental powers". Two versions. Two different translations. Therefore, in some way, the message gets lost in translation. Because the person with a CEV will believe that they ALONE cant understand ANY of the prophecies in the Scriptures, while the person with a IISNT would believe that one needs some kind of mental power to explain a prophetic scripture. Division with a capital D (for deceit).

Hope you get where I was trying to go with this.

We are blessed to have Greek/Hebrew dictionaries. But discernment is key.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:13:35 AM by kweli »

musicman

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:44:24 AM »

It is my understanding that this verse is stating that no prophesy can be understood in and of itself.  By this I mean that prophesy and any scripture must be interpreted through the understanding of other scriptures that have some relationship to it.  For instance, type and shadow speaks of things physically happening which later have a spiritual application.  Physical examples of precious metals having impurities burned out would be a type (or shadow, I confuse the two) of God's purifying fire (how bout that Lake of Fire, Churchians?)

So basically, this scripture tells us that we can't just look at one scripture to prove a point. 

mharrell08

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »

Hello guys,

I think you guys are missing Kweli's point. He knows what this scripture means, he is only saying that without spiritual discernment, the average person (especially one who's first language is not English) would be unable to understand this verse because of all the different translations.

I get what your are saying Kweli...

Marques

joyful1

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »

Thank you Marques, for bringing that up....I hope that I didn't sound rude in my reply above...I didn't mean it to "sound" that way, SORRY!
Joyce :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.