bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swearing: I cannot understand it  (Read 5242 times)

rtashpulatov

Swearing: I cannot understand it
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:15:46 AM »

Hi guys,

I have several questions about swearing. In the New Testament Jesus told us that we should not swear at all which was contrary to Moses Law. However, we can read that God Himself sworn by His Name.

So as Christians are we now prohibited to swear (I don't mean curse). For instance, I am going to go for my citizenship interview and an Oath of Citizenship. I will have to pronounce

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

Did Ray write anything about the subject of swearing for a New Testament Christian? If we cannot swear when we take an Oath then does anyone know a way to get around it?

Thank you.

Rustam

musicman

Re: Swearing: I cannot understand it
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:04:34 AM »

I think the reason that God said not to swear is because one never knows what situations may arise that cause him/her to break the oath.  If I say to someone "I swear that I will be there ontime", I am pretending that I actually know the future (such as traffic that might destroy my conviction) when I don't.  Basically, don't swear anything when you don't know 100% that you can follow through with your oath.  Now, when swearing to observe laws does this mean that one must follow them all to the letter?  I sure hope that observing the speed limit doesn't require one to always obey it.  And to bear allegiance to people?  You might be in a bind with the whole "I swear" thing.  It's good and right to follow the laws of a land but God must come first.  If you feel that you can take this oath honestly, then take it.  My only other suggestion would be to say it only in word and not from the heart.   

stephen

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:22 AM »

Hi, we have been set free from the law and as such "my word is my bond". I do not believe Christ forbids you making an Oath. Paul made an oath to the Corinthians (2Co 1:23) It would appear that the Jews of the day made it common practise to swear idle oaths. As Christians we have a higher standard and must be taken at face value. I once read that someone said that "the worse men are, the less they are bound by oaths; the better they are, the less there is need for them". For a Christian it not be necessary to make anything he says more convincing by swearing an oath.

I do not believe that God sees it as a sin when you are by law required to make a judicial oath, especially if you are honest and upright in your declaration.

Regards

Steve

cherokee

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 09:23:48 AM »

Hey Rustam,
These verses may help. As Musicman pointed out God comes first so if one has to take a oath, to me the best way to handle it would be to add in it some where "If the Lord wills".

Jas 4:14  Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
Jas 4:15  For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Suzie

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »

Hi guys,

I have several questions about swearing. In the New Testament Jesus told us that we should not swear at all which was contrary to Moses Law. However, we can read that God Himself sworn by His Name.

So as Christians are we now prohibited to swear (I don't mean curse). For instance, I am going to go for my citizenship interview and an Oath of Citizenship. I will have to pronounce

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

Did Ray write anything about the subject of swearing for a New Testament Christian? If we cannot swear when we take an Oath then does anyone know a way to get around it?

Thank you.

Rustam

Hello Rustam,

I was just re-reading Ray's teaching on the Sermon on the Mount and here's a section that specifically addresses this issue:

[4] "Again you have heard that it has been said by them of old time, You shall not forswear yourself, but shall perform unto the Lord your oaths"  (Matt. 5:33). Now this one I thought for sure was doing away with the old and contradicting the old, when Jesus said, "But I say unto you, Swear NOT AT ALL... but let your communication be, Yea, yea: and Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these comes of evil"  (Vers 34-37).

Under Moses Israel was allowed to swear by God's name only: "You shall fear the LORD thy God; him shall thou serve, and to him shall thou cleave, and swear by His name" (Deut. 10:20).

They could not swear in the name of any other gods: "...neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them" (Jos. 23:7).

One could swear only by the Name of God, and never falsely: "And ye shall not swear by My name falsely, neither shall thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD" (Lev. 19:12).

Pay attention to the words. The first "you have heard" statement has absolutely nothing to do with whether one should swear or not swear. It has to do with lying to God. Let's read it again: "You shall not forswear [Gk; opiorkeo-'swear falsely or commit perjury' ], but shall perform [Gk: apodidomi 'deliver, pay, render' ], unto the Lord your oaths." Moses said that anyone who swore, had to perform what they swore, and not lie or perjure themselves: "That which is gone out of your lips you shall keep and perform..." (Deut. 23:23).

Again, "And you shall not swear by My name falsely..." (Lev.19:12).

And again: "If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth" (Num. 30:2). But notice the word "IF." It was not a commandment that all men and all women MUST SWEAR. Even an unconditional vow IS an oath (swearing), see Vine's Concise Dictionary of Bible Words. But, notice that swearing oaths are not requirements of God for all to do:

"When you shall vow a vow unto the Lord your God, you shall not slack to PAY IT... But if you shall forbear [abstain] to vow, it shall be NO SIN IN YOU" (Deut. 23:21-22).

Failing to uphold one's oath or vow was the very sin that Ananias and Sepphira committed before Peter. They "said" that they would give the price of a parcel of land to the Apostles. But after they sold it they "kept back part of the price." They did NOT "perform unto the lord their oath." And for this God killed them-their "whole body shall be cast into hell [Gehenna]" in the day of Judgment, because of this sin of "lying to the Holy Spirit." (Acts 5:1-11). They didn't need to vow in the first place. Had they simple sold their property (without first making a great swelling gesture of benevolence before the apostles), and given part of the proceeds to the apostles, nothing more would have happened.

Here is a perfect example of how "But I say unto you, 'Swear not at all'" would have saved their lives.

Notice what Peter told Ananias:

"While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own power? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? [why did you make an oath?] you have not lied unto men, but unto God" (Verse 4).

In other words, If you had not sworn before men that you will give this gift to God, you would not be held accountable for that oath. Now you are accountable. Now they shall die for lying to God. So, "don't swear at all," and you will not perjure yourself, should you not be able to deliver on your promise.

Why did Jesus instruct them to not swear by "heaven, earth, Jerusalem, by your head?" Because these are all things that the Scribes and Pharisees swore by, and the disciples were steeped in the false religion of these leaders. As the Pharisees knew from experience that they often could not follow through on their oaths to God, they started to swear by things other than "God's Name." They started to swear by things only somewhat related to God, so that when they broke their word they could claim that they never did "swear by MY name."

Jesus sharply rebuked them for such nonsense in Matt. 23:16-23 where they swore by, the temple, the gold, the altar, the altar gifts, heaven, etc."

Peter swore before Jesus: "Peter said unto Him, Though I should DIE with Thee, yet will I not deny Thee. "Likewise said also ALL THE DISCIPLES" (Matt. 26:36). They ALL SWORE. A few hours later Peter swore again: "Then began he [Peter] to CURSE AND TO SWEAR, saying, I know NOT THE MAN..." (Matt. 26:74) "Then ALL THE DISCIPLES FORSOOK HIM, and fled" (Ver. 56).

No wonder James later wrote: "But above all things, my brethren, SWEAR NOT, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea and your nay, nay; lest ye fall [as ALL of them did] into condemnation" (James 5:12). James was there that night. James was one who thought he could "perform his oath unto the Lord." But James found out that without God in him, he had no such power, and I am sure this event embarrassed James all the days of his life, and that is the reason he writes to us, "But above all things, my brethren, SWEAR NOT..."

Failing to keep an oath sworn before God breaks the 3rd commandment as well, and takes God's Name in vain. Well then, what is one way we can keep from doing this? "swear not at all." Why? "...because you can't make one hair white or black" (Matt. 5:36). Jesus said not to swear by anything, "neither by heaven, earth, Jerusalem, your head..." (Verses 34-36). Neither should we swear: "on a stack of Bibles," "on your life," "on your children's lives," or "your grandmother's grave."

Hope this helps

Marques

gmik

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 11:50:02 PM »

Whew.  That was good Marques. 

For Rustaf, would it be rendering to Caesar that which is Caesar??  If breaking an oath is the sin, does Rustaf plan on overthrowing Canada or not following the laws?  Can he just affirm and not swear??  They must have some compromise when it comes to so many faiths and cultures wanting to be a citizen.  Maybe an "I will" will suffice.  Rustaf, have you checked all that out??

What do we do when we have to serve jury duty or appear in court?  Do we swear to tell the truth the whole truth??? I agree w/ Ray it is better not to swear an oath if you don't need to, but are there cases where you need to???

I think like Suzie said, say the words, I mean like, back in the middle ages, if they said to me I will kill all your kids if you don't renounce Jesus, I can't say for sure I would be that strong so I mite have to say the words, I don't know. 

I just don't want to judge anyone for doing something I don't know enough about.  Maybe in Canada in this instance, letting your yea be yea, won't be good enough.  My prayers are w/ you Rustaf.

rtashpulatov

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:54:20 AM »

Hi,

No I am not planning to overthrow Canadian laws or something like that. However, quite often one may be confronted with dual loyalties, especially with dual nationalities. An example, is during WWII many Italian Americans were sent to Europe to fight a war against their relatives.

To pledge allegiance to a Qeen of Canada might mean that one will have to go to war that one does not approve. 

This is what I am trying to say.

Rustam.

Whew.  That was good Marques. 

For Rustaf, would it be rendering to Caesar that which is Caesar??  If breaking an oath is the sin, does Rustaf plan on overthrowing Canada or not following the laws?  Can he just affirm and not swear??  They must have some compromise when it comes to so many faiths and cultures wanting to be a citizen.  Maybe an "I will" will suffice.  Rustaf, have you checked all that out??

What do we do when we have to serve jury duty or appear in court?  Do we swear to tell the truth the whole truth??? I agree w/ Ray it is better not to swear an oath if you don't need to, but are there cases where you need to???

I think like Suzie said, say the words, I mean like, back in the middle ages, if they said to me I will kill all your kids if you don't renounce Jesus, I can't say for sure I would be that strong so I mite have to say the words, I don't know. 

I just don't want to judge anyone for doing something I don't know enough about.  Maybe in Canada in this instance, letting your yea be yea, won't be good enough.  My prayers are w/ you Rustaf.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.