bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it time to start a garden ?  (Read 10787 times)

Kat

Re: Is it time to start a garden ?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 12:20:20 AM »

Hi Steve,

Well that is great.  Now that you have started, you can learn as you go.  Because there's nothing like first hand experience. 

Just a few pointers if you don't mind; of course water is important for your plants, if it doen't rain enough make sure they get 1 inch a week.  But on the other hand plants like well drained soil, where there is not standing water for too long. 
Compost is great for the plants, it helps break up clay so the soil won't be too thick or poorly aerated. You can buy this by the bags at the garden center, some have cow manure mixed in which is a natural fertilizer.  But do start your own compost pile in a out of the way corner of the yard.  Toss in all veg. trimmings from the kitchen and leaves and grass clippings are good, no weeds with seed heads on them.  Keep it watered and stir it up from time to time and in a few months it will turn into a great soil amendment.

Here is a link to some really helpful garden sites
http://www.suite101.com/search.cfm?q=vegetable%20gardening&sr=31

Looking forward to your pictures  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

frecklegirl417

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »

Hello, Kat and others:

Samson and I have a little garden that is doing good nothing producing yet but soon. My rose bush didn't make it so we planted a pepper plant in its place. I love growing things it is very relaxing and in away like starting over in a new life that joy you feel when it starts to all come together.
     I read an article a couple weeks back how alot more people are beginning to grow their own food and live of the land because they feel like life has we know it will not be the same anymore. It probaly won't be the same but as long has we have rain from above and sunshine then us Gardner's will keep supplying our families and our neighbors with food we will be a great loving family of a nation again.

Stevernator

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »

Here is my experiment on day 3.

Watermelon plant.

KristaD

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »

It is so funny to see this on here b/c we just recently bought a bread machine and it saves us about $60 a month and we planted a garden this year (our first time) and it has really taken off. We have tomatoes, corn, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, zucchini, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, beans, cabbage and peas. It so much bigger than what we planned on but it is so rewarding to have the kids eat fresh veggies from our own backyard. It's cool to see that God is leading others in this same direction.

Kat

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »

Hi Steve,

I see your getting it off to a good start.  You should take pics every week are so, then you can look back and see how it developed over time  8)

Hi frecklegirl and Krista,

I haven't had a garden for about 20 yrs :o  I have been flower gardening, but no vegetables. So this year i decided to jump right in and I'm like you Krista, it turned out bigger than I planned.  It's hard to keep the weeds cleared out.  But I'm already harvesting the rewards of my labor.  I'm reading up on canning and I think I will give it a try. 
It is just a sense of accomplishment to raise your own food and to know exactly what you're getting, pesticide free fresh veggies  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Stevernator

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 01:23:59 AM »

Some squash are growing and also a few cucumbers and bell peppers. It is really cool to see the veggies sprout out from the flowers I did not remember it happened like that. Also some bees are pollinating them. I am a bit disappointed that some of the leaves on some plants are yellowish and not doing well. I am really amazed at how big the plants got. I will try to post a picture later.

Brian

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 01:21:55 AM »

Here is something one can try for the squirrel problem.

Squirrels had invaded and overrun three churches in town. After much prayer, the elders of the first church determined that the animals were predestined to be there. "Who are we to interfere with God's will?" they reasoned. Soon, the squirrels multiplied.

The elders of the second church, deciding that they could not harm any of God's creatures, humanely trapped the squirrels and set them free outside of town. Three days later, the squirrels were back.

It was only the third church that succeeded in keeping the pests away. The elders baptized the squirrels and registered them as members of the church. Now they only see them on Christmas and Easter.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brian

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »

On a more serious note, I noticed some of you have container gardens I think these links might help.

This link is to a seed starting soil mix article (contains two free Rx)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2149325/Seed-Starting-Soil-Mixes

This link is to an article about earthbox
http://www.scribd.com/doc/1965954/Earthbox

;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.