bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prov.8 & 9  (Read 5100 times)

Roy Monis

Prov.8 & 9
« on: June 13, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »

Hi! All

Who is being spoken of in Proverbs 8 & 9? Can anyone help out?

Thanks

God bless you brother and sister in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

hillsbororiver

Re: Prov.8 & 9
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »

Hi Roy,

Too big a topic for me to answer!  ;)

But the following is one of the wisest statements ever made.

Pro 9:8  Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

Peace,

Joe

Roy Monis

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 03:48:29 PM »

Hi Roy,

Too big a topic for me to answer!  ;)

But the following is one of the wisest statements ever made.

Pro 9:8  Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

Peace,

Joe

Hi! Joe

Thanks for your response but why is it too big a topic are not wisdom and prudence much desired virtues? There has to be an answer somewhere. There is only One Person who meets the criteria and that is Jesus Christ. This is just my opinion, but I'm searching for the truth of it.

Pro.9:8 is undoubtedly a very wise statement but does it apply here?

God bless you brother in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

rose rosen

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 08:40:10 AM »

http://   Hi Roy,   i believe Solomon was the author of Proverbs...and the key word in the whole book is ==wisdom==  chapters 1-9 are designed to create a `felt` need for wisdom.. Chapters 8 & 9 are the proverbs ( which means ^for words^) written by Solomon (the pinnacle of Israel's  wise men) who is conveying words of wisdom,  for the youth//please  notice  the "my son"  which Solomon uses to introduces the concept of a father's ( otherwise  teacher ) efforts to persuade his son (otherwise student or pupil ) to pursue paths of wisdom in every part of his life dealings ....hope this helps.....   Rose   oh  *8-9*  are  Height of Praise to Wisdom

rose rosen

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:57:14 AM »

hi again Roy,,, i forgot previous post to point out that    beginning with chapter 8 Does not wisdom cry out and understanding lift up her voice  and verse 12 the "I"    is wisdom... so in an odd way... wisdom is doing the speaking...  now we know that Solomon prayed to "GOD" for wisdom,, right?  and so where does wisdom come from?    and what is the beginning of wisdom...the fear of the Lord, God..again i hope this helps.. look forward to your take on this...Rose

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »

Thanks for your response but why is it too big a topic are not wisdom and prudence much desired virtues? There has to be an answer somewhere. There is only One Person who meets the criteria and that is Jesus Christ. This is just my opinion, but I'm searching for the truth of it.

Hi Roy,

Two very good questions.

Proverbs has always been a real source of wisdom and comfort for me, even before the scales started falling off my eyes (on ongoing process) but since being introduced to the method Ray uses in comparing scripture to scripture I cannot study whole chapters without a verse by verse comparitive study by word searching other portions of the scriptures. This has opened up layers upon layers of texture and depth to whatever I am currently reading/studying.

As to why I chose Proverbs 9:8 I believe it really sums up the state of communication on this earth, whether it be at home, at work, in politics or anywhere. I do not think there are just two camps, one for the scorners and one for the wise (although eventually that may be the case for a time) but that we all have one foot in each camp as we journey through this life.

This verse comes to mind when I act the scorner or am rebuffed by one, I think we all experience being wise and scornful from time to time, it should be our hope that bit by bit we take the wise route more often than not, growing in the wisdom that only comes from above.

Peace,

Joe 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 10:30:14 AM by hillsbororiver »

Roy Monis

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »

Hi Roy,

Two very good questions.

Proverbs has always been a real source of wisdom and comfort for me, even before the scales started falling off my eyes (on ongoing process) but since being introduced to the method Ray uses in comparing scripture to scripture I cannot study whole chapters without a verse by verse comparitive study by word searching other portions of the scriptures. This has opened up layers upon layers of texture and depth to whatever I am currently reading/studying.

As to why I chose Proverbs 9:8 I believe it really sums up the state of communication on this earth, whether it be at home, at work, in politics or anywhere. I do not think there are just two camps, one for the scorners and one for the wise (although eventually that may be the case for a time) but that we all have one foot in each camp as we journey through this life.

This verse comes to mind when I act the scorner or am rebuffed by one, I think we all experience being wise and scornful from time to time, it should be our hope that bit by bit we take the wise route more often than not, growing in the wisdom that only comes from above.

Peace,

Joe 

Hi! Joe

I fully agree with you that we have to have our foot in both camps but we are here to learn the truth, and the truth is somewhere out there and it needs finding. Rose quoted me; "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." (Pro.9:10). But fear of the Lord is not Wisdom itself it is just the beginning. Ray says to pay attention to the words. "Does not wisdom call, And understanding lift up her voice? On top of the heights beside the way, Where the paths meet, she takes her stand; Beside the gates, at the opening to the city, At the entrance of the doors, she cries out: “To you, O men, I call, And my voice is to the sons of men. “O naive ones, understand prudence;
And, O fools, understand wisdom. “Listen, for I will speak noble things; And the opening of my lips will reveal right things.
" (Pro.8:1-6).

So in the NT what is it that cries out in the gates  "Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered together all they found, both evil and good; and the wedding hall was filled with dinner guests." (Matt.22:9). “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28:19-20), Luke 14:21-23, John 18:30, Acts 5:20, Isaiah 49:1-6, Isaiah 55:1-3, Matthew 3:3, Matthew 4:17,  Mark 13:10, Mark 16:15-16, Luke 24:47, John 7:37, Acts 1:8, Acts 22:21, Romans 15:18-21, Psalm 49:1-3, Psalm 50:1, Matthew 11:15, John 3:16, 2Corinthians 5:19-20, Colossians 1:23, Colossians 1:28, 1Timothy 2:4-6, Titus 2:11-12, Revelation 22:17. Proverbs 1:22, Proverbs 9:4, Psalm 19:7, Psalm 94:8, Isaiah 42:13, Isaiah 55:13, Acts 26:18,, 1Corinthians 1:28, 1Corinthians 6:9-11, and Revelation 3:17-18. Are these not all the Gospel? So Wisdom was proclaiming the Gospel. And is not the Gospel the Word of God? And is not the Word of God Jesus Christ?

So having taken the long way round we come to the core of Wisdom which is Jesus Christ. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

God bless you brother in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.