bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would anyone share there thoughts on this?  (Read 4664 times)

Stevernator

Would anyone share there thoughts on this?
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »

Hi everyone,
I am in the application process for the Peace Corps and I am wondering if you could share some Godly counsel. I think I would enjoy the experience, hopefully help some people and maybe be able to give an answer for my faith if anyone asks  but I have a few reservations. I don't want to represent the US government because I am ashamed of some of its actions. But the program is funded by taxes so that might be difficult. I know that following Christ requires overcoming the world so I have that to think about. I don't expect people to say one way or another (although you totally can) but your thoughts would help. In another issue if you could pray for me by asking God's help in overcoming sin and the world.
Thanks for reading.

mharrell08

Re: Would anyone share there thoughts on this?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »

Titus 1:15
Unto the pure, all things are pure...

1 John 3:3
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Hope this helps

Marques

EKnight

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »

Wouldn't representing the U.S.A in a better light by joining the peace corp be a positive thing regardless of our errors?  And isn't the U.S.A as whole sinners like the rest of us?  People make mistakes and if you ask me, joining the Peace Corp would be a step forward for the U.S. and especially when someone who is a member of the Body of Christ joins!

Eileen

Pini56

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 01:12:14 AM »

Hello Stevernater,

This may help you.

1 My child, listen to me and treasure my instructions. 2 Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. 3 Cry out for insight and understanding. 4 Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure. 5 Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God. 6 For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7 He grants a treasure of good sense to the godly. He is their shield, protecting those who walk with integrity. 8 He guards the paths of justice and protects those who are faithful to him.
9 Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will know how to find the right course of action every time. 10 For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy. 11 Wise planning will watch over you. Understanding will keep you safe.
12 Wisdom will save you from evil people, from those whose speech is corrupt. 13 These people turn from right ways to walk down dark and evil paths. 14 They rejoice in doing wrong, and they enjoy evil as it turns things upside down. 15 What they do is crooked, and their ways are wrong.
20 Follow the steps of good men instead, and stay on the paths of the righteous. 21 For only the upright will live in the land, and those who have integrity will remain in it. 22 But the wicked will be removed from the land, and the treacherous will be destroyed. Proverbs Chapter 2: 1-15, 20-22.

Overcoming sin and the world. This may help.

3 As we know Jesus better, his divine power gives us everything we need for living a godly life. He has called us to receive his own glory and goodness! 4 And by that same mighty power, he has given us all of his rich and wonderful promises. He has promised that you will escape the decadence all around you caused by evil desires and that you will share in his divine nature.
5 So make every effort to apply the benefits of these promises to your life. Then your faith will produce a life of moral excellence. A life of moral excellence leads to knowing God better. 6 Knowing God leads to self-control. Self-control leads to patient endurance, and patient endurance leads to godliness. 7 Godliness leads to brotherly love, and finally you will grow to have genuine love for everyone. 8 The more you grow like this, the more you will become productive and useful in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But those who fail to develop these virtues are blind or, at least, very shortsighted. They have already forgotten that God has cleansed them from their old life of sin.
10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away. 11 And God will open wide the gates of heaven for you to enter into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1: 3-11.

With Love. Geoff.

Beloved

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 01:43:57 AM »

Stevenator,

The fact that you are an American means that no matter where you go YOU will always represent the United States regardless of whatever good or bad this country does.

The work that the Peace Corps does is a national good work..building shelter, wells teaching farming etc ...it is not spiritual work. 

The intentions by which you yourself do the work can be spiritual.

(Col 3:17)  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
(1 Co 10:30) Whatever you do ...do for the Glory of God

All governments are in place because of God, and He has nothing against taxes.......render to Cesar the things that are Cesar's....

God has sent us all into the world....our job is simple ....to show the Jesus in our lives.  The job the place and the circumstances are the things that God has planned for your life....He will

Heb 13:21  Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

2Th 3:3  But the Lord is faithful, who shall establish you, and keep you from evil.

Dewey...all the blessings this country has ....rain down on the righteous and the wicked ...why....because God is merciful...none of us can take credit for these things or can boast of them

beloved

Redbird

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 01:43:03 AM »

Hi Stevenator,

When I read your post, I immediately thought of Jesus prayer in John, ecspecially the following verses;

John 17:15-21  I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from evil.  They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.  As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.  And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.  Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;  That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

The Peace Corps would be a great place to share the love of God.

gmik

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »

These scriptural answers were "spot on"!!

God Bless You Steve!!

Stevernator

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:32:18 PM »

To Marques, Eileen, Geoff, Beloved, Redbird and Gena,
Thanks a lot for your encouragement! I have my interview tomorrow morning and I am hopeful that it will go well. The words from everyone of you were helpful. I hope I get in. I'll keep you posted...
Thanks so much,
Steve

joyful1

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »

:D sounds like an exciting adventure into the unknown of where God is leading you! ::::I'm a little jealous of being able to sign up with the Peace Corps and just take off, though!:::::  heehehehehe!
God's speed, Stevenator....
keep us posted!
Joyce :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 16 queries.