bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kind Angels...  (Read 5406 times)

gmik

Kind Angels...
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:48:41 PM »

Hello all.

I was reading about one of my "kin" the other day and found this on his tombstone in 1868.  "kind Angels Watch his sleeping   Till Jesus comes to raise the Just   Then may he wake and in His Saviours image rise"

I know it is not 100% correct, but I was amazed that even back then there were people who knew we didn't immediately go to heaven!!

I think a lot of this babylonian junk has come in the 20th century!

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Kind Angels...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »

I suspect it's as hard to put a fully realized doctrine on a tombstone as it is on a bumper-sticker, but that is very interesting.  There was heresy even in Paul's time, and as Ray points out it took hold immediately after the deaths of the Apostles, but I think this modern era has accelerated both the evolution of heresy and it's spread.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »

That's pretty amazing, do you know what religion he/she practiced?

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:27:30 PM »

I hope they put on mine...

"He's finally getting a good nights sleep" ;D

Craig

joyful1

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »

;D I had to put signs on my bedroom door for years to keep all the kids out during naptime....I have a stack of them! "Please Let Mom Sleep!" "Please DO NOT disturb" "Enter at Your own Risk!" "Don't even THINK ABOUT KNOCKING!"
Craig, you gave me an idea...maybe I can have one taped to my tombstone to save on the engraving! heehheeh! And they should not charge so much for the plots either! After all....we only need to "borrow" them--right?  ;D
Joyce :)

EKnight

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:33:51 PM »

I think a lot of this babylonian junk has come in the 20th century!
[/quote]

I don't know about the 20th century, but I too have read things and recall teachings from my mother that are in accord with what we are learning here. 

Before I came to BT, I read a book by Fulton Sheen, a Catholic Bishop, called Life is Worth Living.  Other than the praying to Saints and Mary, it was a very good read.  He used to have a half hour show too.  A very insightful man and humorous too.  For example, he likened God humbling himself as man, to a person with the knowledge and power of humans but being in a dogs body.  In other words, God is all knowing and powerful yet subject himself through Jesus as a mere man.  It was written in the 50's I think and the examples of living for God are just as applicable today.  Even as a Catholic we recited our beliefs and said "He will come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe that there were many people that had good insight into the truth, it just wasn't prevalent (sp?).

Eileen

So that epitaph you quoted does not surprise me.

gmik

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

OBrenda, Coby(Moses)Preston, my gr gr was a practicing Methodist from Prestonsburg, Ky. Reading their wills from back then are amazing.  They give a whole paragraph (!) to praising and acknowledging how God has blessed them. HOWEVER, many of my ancestors always mention IF God sees fit to let them in blah blah....Most of my family tho were of the Baptist type.

Ahem.....ummm if I am not posting as much as I used to...blame my new hobby! :D

OBrenda

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 11:55:06 PM »

Ahhh...looking back into your roots...must be fun.  I've kind of seen that trend in the past, where they recognized the sovereignty of God more than they do now, we're probably getting to smart for our britches ;D

gmik

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 12:38:39 AM »

Brenda, I have read some of the church records to get marriage/birth/death info.  It is really hilarious.  So and so was disciplined for allowing dancing in his house.  So and so was kicked out for drinking.  He was received back into fellowship for saying he wouldn't allow drinking in his home.  Same guy "dis-fellowshipped" for drinking again. Unfortunately, this guy was my ancestor! :D

I also am getting a real picture of the church in the 1800's in Va/Tenn/Ky (the migration route of my kin). The church was as mean and ornery as it is now. Legalism was a biggy!!

I was reading about Plymouth Colony and boy did the Pilgrims want it their way!!  They left for religious freedom but didn't give any to anyone else.

Organized religion must bring out the worst in people!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.