bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: learning by listening  (Read 4770 times)

Kat

learning by listening
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:50:02 PM »

Listening Factoids

Listening (ILA, 1996): the process of receiving, constructing meaning from, and responding to spoken and/or nonverbal messages

interesting statistics . . .

~How much of what we know that we have learned by listening?   85% 

~Amount of the time we are distracted, preoccupied or forgetful?   75%

~How much we usually recall immediately after we listen to someone talk?   50%

~Amount of time we spend listening?   45%

~How much we remember of what we hear?   20%

~Amount of us who have had formal educational experience with listening?   less than 2%

other numbers...

~We listen at 125-250 words per minute, but think at 1000-3000 words per minute.

~Number of business studies that indicate that listening is a top skill needed for success in business?   more than 35

Listening is important because . . .

~Since the rise of the radio and the development of television, the spoken word has regained much of its lost stature.

~Being listened to means we are taken seriously, our ideas and feelings are known, and, ultimately, what we have to say matters.

~Generous listening enhances our own well-being and is the natural perspective of psychology, in which all human behavior is seen as motivated by the agendas of the self.

~We learn our culture largely through listening; we learn to think by listening; we learn to love by listening; we learn about ourselves by listening.

~Being listened to spells the difference between feeling accepted and feeling isolated .

~In our society, listening is essential to the development and survival of the individual.

~Most people will not really listen or pay attention to your point of view until they become convinced you have heard and appreciate theirs.

The International Listening Association promotes the study, development, and teaching of listening and the practice of effective listening skills and techniques. ( http://www.listen.org/Templates/factoids.htm )
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:30:01 AM by Kat »

Stevernator

Re: learning by listening
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:49:02 AM »

Wow how true. Listening and showing interest might be the quickest way to make a friend.

I wonder how much our lives are affected by the constant noise from advertising and other things. We probably get used to filtering most of it out.

~Being listened to spells the difference between feeling accepted and feeing isolated .
Very true.

Beloved

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »

Both these words in the OT and NT imply that you take the words given in the scriptures into your heat and live by them

H8085  שׁמע  shâma‛ shaw-mah'
A primitive root; to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.; causatively to tell, etc.): -  X attentively, call (gather) together, X carefully, X certainly, consent, consider, be content, declare, X diligently, discern, give ear, (cause to, let, make to) hear (-ken, tell), X indeed, listen, make (a) noise, (be) obedient, obey, perceive, (make a) proclaim (-ation), publish, regard, report, shew (forth), (make a) sound, X surely, tell, understand, whosoever [heareth], witness.

G191 ἀκούω akouō  ak-oo'-oA primary verb; to hear (in various senses): - give (in the) audience (of), come (to the ears), ([shall]) hear (-er, -ken), be noised, be reported, understand.

On the earthly level, listening is becoming a lost art, sound bites, multitasking and inattention because of external distraction all come into play.

In medicine almost 85 % of the time, a diagnosis can be made by history and not by the exam or test.

The problem today is that no one in medicine is given the time to do this, patients do not stay with their doctor like they did in the past. People in the past where seen by the doctor who delivered them...they knew every thing about them and their family and community..

The other problem in medicine is that there are so many other things not know by either parties (toxic exposures and other such dangers) that also now have to be factored in.

Since we know that hearing/listening can be critical, here on the board many times when people ask for advice help in a post, they hold back critical information. Then they are upset when the person 'trying" to help them gets it wrong. 

Sometimes we may read and listen to a post but then decide not to answer because one may feel that the listner cannot bear to hear your answer at this time.

Anyway, I am going to get going on my weekend.   This is a good topic to contemplate....

Psa 46:10  Be still, and know that I am God:....

To me it means to listen only to God and to abate/be weak toawrd /cease from  all the chatter going on around you...

beloved

Roy Monis

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »

Hi! All

Learning by silence and attentiveness is a key factor to understanding the Lord's work; "But Moses said to the people, “Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever. The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent.”  (Exodus 14:13,14).

God bless you brothers and sisters in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

OBrenda

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »

Very Interesting Kat
Thanks for Sharing it.

Samson

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:51:58 PM »

Good Thread Kat,

I like the point expressed about how much we actually retain or remember(20%), I wonder if that 20% is based on those attentively paying attention or the usual type of listening where people don't really care when listening to someone else. As the the saying goes, we have two ears and one mouth. When the subject that's being discussed is "Emotionally Charged" like those issues discussed among Family members, I wonder how much information is being retained in those cases. However it's certainly something we could pray to God about, to be better listeners, because sometimes if you listen carefully to some people, the best response might be no response at all. I had that experience this Morning with an Ex-Wife, because in this case, carefully listening resulted in no possible answer that could have made anything better, but instead would most likely have added "fuel to the fire".

People seem to remember only what they want to remember(selective hearing), probably due to ones self-interest, anyway, this is a Timely Thread and we can ask God if it's his Will, to give us the the desire to attentively listen to others, without interruption, this desire applies to me as well.

Brother, Samson.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.