bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I knew a great man  (Read 5565 times)

EKnight

I knew a great man
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:06:10 AM »

I knew a great man.  He was orphaned at a young age.  Served in the army during WWII. He received the bronze star but told no one why.  We later discovered he crossed enemy lines to bring food and medicine to prisoners of war. He was a self-made millionaire but you would have never known it. He held high positions in business. In Business, he was fair and truly appreciative of his subordinates. He gave thousands to charities and paid for relatives major medical procedures (discretely).  He was honest and quiet, not pretentious.  He believed in Jesus Christ and attended Catholic Mass daily.  What exactly he believed, I am not sure but I know that he worshiped the Lord.  He was the greatest man I ever knew.  He called me his daughter. He was my father-in-law and I loved him. He died April 27, 2004.

I think he is one of the elect.  Is this possible since he was Catholic?

Eileen

Robin

Re: I knew a great man
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:06:39 AM »

Your father-in-law sounds like a wonderful man Eileen.

I don't think any of us can answer the question of who is the elect. We can't even answer for ourselves.

I spent many years before finding bible-truths wondering what was going to happen to my father who died 10 years ago.The one thing that brings me comfort and joy is knowing that I will be with my earthly father again and all will see the salvation of our loving heavenly Father. I always wondered how Paul could say that he had the assurance of salvation and now I finally know.

Hugs,
MG

OBrenda

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:48:22 AM »

Hi Eileen,

It may be that it is impossible to know if he is the Elect!  But another question I think you may be asking is ...
Does the fact that he was "Catholic" alone exclude him from the possibility?  

I've wondered that myself.  When I read what the scriptures tell us about the character of the Elite, and with the teachings here at BT, I have adjusted and continue to adjust my understanding. As many people here who have been brought to the truth,  they express uncertainty in themselves, but earnestly strive for it!

I for one, don't see it in myself, as God is still showing me the Beast inside me!  And many of the "Fruits" that you described in your Father-in-Law I do not posses. He sounds like he was a great example to you? There are many here more learned who can better answer the question than I can...

I take comfort in what MG shared, that we know someday we will all be together again with our Earthly & Heavenly Father(s)!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:14:29 PM by OBrenda »

Chris R

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:49:41 AM »

Hi Eileen,

I agree with M.G. that none of us can know who will be the elect until that day.

We all must be humbled knowing that these Elect are chosen, and while some of our works will be wonderful, they alone do not qualify us.

It is only through Christs works that any of us are saved.

Peace

Chris R

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:10:37 AM »

Eileen

Mat 19:25  When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

Mat 19:26  But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Great answers form Brenda, MG & Chris, bottom line is that we do not know who is "elect" but we can hope.

Peace,

Joe

Roy Monis

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »

I knew a great man.  He was orphaned at a young age.  Served in the army during WWII. He received the bronze star but told no one why.  We later discovered he crossed enemy lines to bring food and medicine to prisoners of war. He was a self-made millionaire but you would have never known it. He held high positions in business. In Business, he was fair and truly appreciative of his subordinates. He gave thousands to charities and paid for relatives major medical procedures (discretely).  He was honest and quiet, not pretentious.  He believed in Jesus Christ and attended Catholic Mass daily.  What exactly he believed, I am not sure but I know that he worshiped the Lord.  He was the greatest man I ever knew.  He called me his daughter. He was my father-in-law and I loved him. He died April 27, 2004.

Eileen

Hi! Eileen

What a wonderful man! What a wonderful man! I am truly humbled by your post. Who are we to ask, "Who Are The Elect?"  The answer rests with God and none other, as for us who tend to fault our fellow men regardless of colour, race or creed let us ponder a moment on these words; " Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."  (1Cor.10:12).

God bless you sister in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

Kat

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »

Hi Brenda,

Your father-in-law sounds like he was a wonderful man and one thing for sure God will recognize his good works on that day when we all have to give account.

1Co 3:13  each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
v. 14  If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.
v. 15  If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

But consider these Scriptures. 
Those that are called to be among the few are the "base things of the world."  Because God wants it to be clear where they get there strength "that no flesh should glory."

1Co 1:26  For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
v. 27  But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
v. 28  and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
v. 29  that no flesh should glory in His presence.

Also the world hates the Elect.

John 15:18  "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.
v. 19  If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

John 17:14  I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.

If a person is living their lives as Christ commanded, according to the truth, being different from the world, they will be persecuted.

Rom 12:2  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

John 15:20  Remember the word that I said to you, "A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also.

Mat 5:10  Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

We have learned form Ray that the church's teachings are dramatically different from what is taught in the Scriptures, indeed it is where Satan abides.  To remain in the church and be learning and obeying the truth at the same time would be very difficult if not impossible.

Mat 6:24  "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Of course I can not know whether your father-in-law is of the Elect, but just thought I would give you these Sciptures pretaining to the judgments and preparation for the Elect in this life.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

EKnight

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »

It may be that it is impossible to know if he is the Elect!  But another question I think you may be asking is ...
Does the fact that he was "Catholic" alone exclude him from the possibility?  

Yes Brenda, this is what I am asking, but as MG says, I guess it doesn't matter as long as we are together again someday. 

Thanks for all your replies, they mean a lot to me.

Eileen

gasman

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »

;D
Eileen,
"Ye shall know them by their fruits". From your description it looks like he was a man who displayed the fruits of the Spirit. It's God who justifies us & I'm sure he has seen your father-in-laws fruits. I don't think it matters that he was a catholic. I think it matters more how we live than what what church organisation we belong to. He sounds like a better man than I am. I am glad he was in your life. You are a better person for knowing him.

God Bless

Greg

Roy Monis

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »

Hi! Eileen

You are a very fortunate lady to have had such a man for your father-in-law. Once again we hit the topic of "Who are the elect?" Does the church denomination to which one belongs have any bearing on that?

There are many people around even today who can neither read nor write so let us assume that they listen to a tape on which Ray is teaching;

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.”   (Gal.5:22-26).

And

"Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; (Pet.1:5-10).

Now assume that this uneducated person possessed all of these much desired attributes, as your father-in-law an educated Catholic obviously did. IMO he would have a better chance of being one of the elect than all the rest who knew the Scriptures backwards. Praise God for such a man is what I'd say, not many of his kind in the world. I have nothing but admiration for such a giant, Catholic, Mormon, J.W. or whatever.

God bless you sister in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.