bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: old question  (Read 3933 times)

chuckt

old question
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »

. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value; 10. And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me. (Mat. 27:9-10)

First, the writer quotes the wrong prophet! It was Zechariah, not Jeremiah:

"So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prized at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD." <Zech.11:12-13?

some one told me the answer to why math qoutes jer. from zech, and i cant remember the answer...

thanks
chuck

Kat

Re: old question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

Hi Chuck,

I don't remember this question before, but here is what I found in Clark's commentary that seems likely to me.

It was an ancient custom among the Jews to divide the Old Testament into three parts:
the first beginning with the law was called The Law; the second beginning with the Psalms was called The Psalms; the third beginning with the prophet in question was called Jeremiah:
thus, then, the writings of Zechariah and the other prophets being included in that division that began with Jeremiah, all quotations from it would go under the name of this prophet. If this be admitted, it solves the difficulty at once.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

chav

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 07:32:25 PM »

Hi
I asked the same question last year , and this was the answer given to me by Hillsborough river

As far as Zechariah 11 goes there is evidence that chapters 9-11 were indeed written by Jeremiah and that none of Zechariah after chapter 8 was actually written by him.

Hope it clarifies things
Dave

EKnight

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »

In my bible, the quote by Matthew is listed in the footnotes as Zec 11 12-13.  Then there is an explanation that says this:

Matthew's attributing this text to Jeremiah is puzzling, for there is no such text in that book, and the thirty pieces of silver thrown by Judas "into the temple" (5) recall rather Zec 11: 12-13.  It is usually said that the attribution of the text to Jeremiah is due to Matthew's combining the Zechariah text with texts from Jeremiah that speak of a potter (18, 2-3) the buying of a field (32,6-9), or the breaking of a potter's flask at Topheth in the valley of Ben-Hinnom with the prediction that it will become a burial place (19,1-13).

I don't really understand this but whatever.  ??? Maybe you guys do.

Eileen

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.