bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am a tax collector  (Read 4023 times)

EKnight

I am a tax collector
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:38:06 AM »

A few weeks ago I posted about a new job that I was debating taking.  I returned to the dept. of a bank that I resigned from last year for personal reasons (sort of). This was my first week back.  Now, what I do is put holds on people's accounts via court mandated restraints and state and IRS tax levies.  I feel like a heel now.  I see these people don't have the money to pay these debts and it breaks my heart to ruin their lives even further.  Today ( the day before a three day weekend for most) I held monies in people's accounts unbeknownst to them, until of course, they go to the atm to take their kids to fireworks this weekend only to find they can't take any money out nor can they call the bank to question why until Monday.

I guess the only plus side is that I am an empathetic, kind and understanding person toward my victims.  So, if someone has to do it, then I guess that it's better that it's me than someone else.

Your thoughts? Be gentle. :(

Eileen

kweli

Re: I am a tax collector
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »

Luke 18
10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank Thee that I am not as other men are: extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week; I give tithes of all that I possess.'
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other; for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased, and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

or rather in The Message translation:

Luke 18
10-12 "Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax man. The Pharisee posed and prayed like this: 'Oh, God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income.'
13 "Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in the shadows, his face in his hands, not daring to look up, said, 'God, give mercy. Forgive me, a sinner.'"
14 Jesus commented, "This tax man, not the other, went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face, but if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself."

Beloved

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »

Do not believe that these people have no idea how dire their finanacial status is. They have been getting many letters and phone calls over the last few months. If they were smart they would have emptied their accounts, but many stay in denial and know they own this money. 

Their financial positions are trials give by God.  You are only a salaried agent at the moment......but you may have been given an opportunity too

You could also act as an Intercessor and pray for them: 

That they repent and follow God's will faster then they would have.

You could pray that this act will bring them to their knees so that God can finally open their ears and eyes.

Finding the Light of God in darkness is better than any miracle/blessing of getting their fortunes restored and still be in darkness.

Beloved 

kweli

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »

Very well put by Beloved. Even the church likes to refer to their 'enemies' and 'principalities'  as debts and debt collector, as if debts caused themselves upon them and now they have to rebuke this evil spirit.  :D :D :D

Matthew 21:31 (NLT)
31 "Which of the two obeyed his father?" They replied, "The first." Then Jesus explained his meaning: "I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do.

I'd be  more concerned in not being a 'you' than being a tax collector...  ;)

EKnight

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:05:13 PM »

Do not believe that these people have no idea how dire their finanacial status is. They have been getting many letters and phone calls over the last few months. If they were smart they would have emptied their accounts, but many stay in denial and know they own this money.

Beloved--that is exactly what my husband and twenty year old son said.  But my they were not humble while saying it. I reminded my husband that had it not been for his father rescuing us (time and time again), that we too were on the brink of having our monies garnished.

Also, I have family members that live this way.  I know they are in debt because times were tough and they had to live but their paychecks weren't cutting it so they resorted to the evil credit card.  I mean, you can't get water from a stone. But you are right, that perhaps these trials will help some to turn to the only place they can get solace, God.

Now I just need prayers that I can stay kind when these people call and curse me.  (or when the sh-- hits the fan as they say).

Thanks.  Once again I feel better thanks to all you forum members.

Eileen

Roy Monis

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »

Dear Eileen

All I can say is that I'd hate to have to do your job. The employment situation being as it is one is fortunate to be in a job in the first place, so seeing it's a job that has to be done better you with a heart than someone without. How nice it is to know that there are people like you still to be found in this greed infested selfish world. It must hurt, I know for certain it would me but there again it's all of God and there is very little of practical use that we as individuals can do. We can only do the will of God and not our own, He causes it all and He knows what He is doing so let your conscience rest in His peace.

God bless you sister in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

Kat

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »

Hi Eileen,

Having sympathy and compassion for these people is good and as Beloved suggested praying, that is your means of seeking help for them from the greatest source.  You are doing your job and not the one responsible for what is happening to these people.  Just be thankful you are not the one causing someone suffering.  They say ugly things to you because you are convenient and right there as they are faced with a very emotional realization.  And do understand that we have and will always have the poor among us in this age.

Mark 14:7  For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always.

We are living in this age that people shall have an "experience of evil" in one way or another.  There are countless means by which we all will have to endure the many forms that this "evil experience" comes upon us in this life  :-\

Ecc 1:13 I applied my heart to inquiring and exploring by wisdom concerning all that is done under the heavens:it is an experience of evil Elohim has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.