bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Music  (Read 12863 times)

EKnight

Music
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:05:46 PM »

Just wondering what type of music everyone likes.  I listen to almost everything except like hard rock/metal.  I grew up on motown, like Diana Ross and the supremes and the Jackson Five. I also like country and blue grass. My oldest sibling is 16 years older than me and I there were nine more in between us and one younger than me so I grew up with all the decades from the 50's to today's music (thanks to my kids).  I also know a lot of show tunes too( I was in Sound of Music HS play when I was in first grade and south Pacific my freshman year of HS) I enjoy the likes of Sinatra etc.  I love love music and I love dancing. 

How about you guys?( just for some lighthearted banter).

Eileen

Paul

Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »

Mid-sixties Garage Rock (i.e. the Back from the Grave series.)

Destroys everything else.

Kent

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »

Anything but a bunch of whining emos (mis)using guitars to play nothing but chords.
What a waste...

I also like listening to my cousin. She is trying to make it, and has already wone some contests. To think I used to babysit her... I am getting old...  ;D

David

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »

Dream Theater, instrumental rock guitar music such as Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani etc, Calssic FM on the Radio, Gregorian Chant, Indian sitar music.

EKnight

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:01:35 AM »

Indian sitar music.  Hmmm, now that's interesting.  I can't say I've ever heard that. 

Eileen

Paul

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:18:25 AM »

The sitar is an awesome instrument. Indian music is awesome.

Stevernator

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 06:38:32 AM »

I was just listening to the soundtrack from Into the Wild from Eddie Vedder. It is awesome if you like folk music. You can listen to it on youtube. http://youtube.com/watch?v=UDorNilxPUY&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6iwP9Ux3A&feature=related

I also like Common, classical such as Rachmaninoff, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Sufjan Stevens, Joseph Arthur, John Frusciante, Natalie Merchant (just listened to http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lxa1P4gCats           , anything with some feeling or melody in it.

I like lots of music from videogames such as Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 (awesome stuff), Chrono Cross and of course Mario.

I used to listen to a lot of other stuff I don't listen to much anymore like some alternative rock (smashing pumpkins, rage against the machine), electronic (daft punk, paul oakenfield), Outkast, any junk they play on the radio and some psychedelic rock. But I've stopped listening to most of this type of music to keep my mind pure.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »

I like lots of music from videogames such as Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 (awesome stuff), Chrono Cross and of course Mario.

Oh yeah! But Chrono Cross is a disgrace (to Chrono Trigger.)

Roy Monis

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 09:24:02 AM »

Hi!

I like Al Jolson, Paul Robeson, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Jolly Joe. Jolly Joe who's he? How did he get in here?

God bless you brothers and sisters in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »

My absolute favorite is singer/songwriter stuff from any era, especially the 70's...James Taylor, Paul Simon, that ilk.  But I truly do love anything that makes a sound.  Sometimes on the weekends I'll even listen to Opera on National Public Radio--not that I have a clue what they are warbling on about.

Most of my casual listening is Classical, jazz and classic rock.  Sometimes I'll switch over to country, sometimes to more current music--although I'm not much of a fan of American Idol clones.  I'm working on a piece now that is sort of Kansas-inspired, so I like my prog too.

Have to agree with the sentiments in favor of Indian music.  Any world-beat stuff is good.  And Roy has good taste too.  It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 11:12:44 PM »

Well my first loves of music...Jackson Five, Donny Osmond, Bobby Sherman..(Showing my age)
High School Favorites...Heart, Rush, Aerosmith, Led Zeplin, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd.
Christian Rock...Petra!
More Current I Love....Josh Groban, Andrea Borcelli, Enya, Enigma, Celtic music.
I don't really care for gangster rap or the content of most of the current pop songs. :P :-\
Show tunes are fun. :D  Christmas Songs...Bing Crosby. :)
Love to Dance! ;D
Indian Sitar Music ???
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:34:09 PM by OBrenda »

EKnight

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »

Brenda, somehow I knew you were a lot like me.  I can tell by your posts that you are someone I would get along with.  Plus I think we are close in age.  :)

Eileen

KristaD

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:24:28 PM »

I have loved all sorts of music over the years but now I only listen to christian music that speaks the truth. I found that music was very influential to me and a great way to keep my mind on God and what I should be striving for. I'm not saying that's for everybody, but I rarely have a moments peace and I need all the help I can get :P.
Indian sitar music is very cool and relaxing. ;)

Vangie

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »

I love those songs that remind me of high school--anyone remember Queen's, "We will rock you", and "Another one bites the dust"--classic pep rally chants..hmmm.. lyrics seem a little bit deeper now than they did back then. :)  But that genre is still alive and well in teenageville today--saw my niece and nephew in their ball parades a couple of months back.  Blaring down the main drag in the little town where most of my family lives, we heard the Scorpions "Rock me like a hurricane" and ....get this.....yep....it's still beating...."Ice, ice baby...stop, collaborate and listen, Ice is back with this brand new invention"  Okay, I thought it was kinda catchy back when!  "Rollin', in my 5 point 0 with the ragtop down so my hair can blow".  I think this was before ice meant something other than really cool stuff.  And then we had, "Stop....it's Hammer time."  (Yes, I was the dancy type wannabe--are we ready to do the electric slide? ;D)  I'm probably SO OLD that you guys have no clue what I'm yammering about.   I do like the real classics also, it's just they've already been mentioned!  ;)  These are my fun and goofy memory songs!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:10:22 AM by Vangie »

EKnight

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 12:04:33 AM »

hmmm, I know them all Vangie.  My first boyfriend in HS was a Queen freak.  I loved Queen and my husband, who is eight years my senior, says Queen was the worst band ever.  He's a fan of "The Boss".

Eileen

Chuck

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »

I grew up thinking that if I liked "worldly music" I would go to hell!  Imagine that. 

Secretly......Styx, Boston, Def Leppard, Foreigner, etc.   

While in church....Petra.  I have seen Petra in concert probably 20 times. 

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 02:29:51 PM »

Petra.  How long have they been around?  And did they come out of Memphis?  If so, I've heard them a few times too, probably before they became 'famous'.

Does anybody remember any of the Jesus Movement bands?  Randy Stonehill, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Kieth Green, etc.?  I saw a website not long ago that had reissues of those 70's albums on CD...I have still a fair amount of vinyl from those kind of people, but nothing to play them on.

Chuck, my parents wouldn't get me any Beatle's records, but they gave in to my pleadcing and bought me The Ventures.  Surf instrumentals.  I don't know why they thought the Ventures were 'holier' than the Beatles--must have been the haircuts. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

carol v

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 03:57:20 PM »

Joan Armatrading has been number one for 25 years with me. I've seen her in concert many times and we are now growing way too old together. Saw her last year in Dallas at House of Blues and we are both older...okay...just plain old!

Love Bob Dylan, Van Morrison but can't escape heavy metal because my son is a heavy metal guitarist.

I recently saw the Martin Scorsese documentary on Bob Dylan and there was a quote from an old folk singer friend of Dylan's from his Greenwich Village days -- to paraphase -- "I give no credit to Dylan himself because the man is obvously filled with the Holy Spirit."

Dylan himself refuses to even talk about what his songs mean and people have been putting deep meaning into them since the first. He truly is a poet and songs like "A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall" are just plain scriptural. I also have loved Dylan's attitude towards his own fame and his fans. He wrote in his autobiography that he purposefully made bad albums just so they would quit following him around calling him "the voice of our generation" and other such foolery.

Interesting thing I discovered in the documentary was that Dylan was right behind Dr. King during the "I Had a Dream" speech and sang "When the Ships Came In." But then when Joan Baez and the other folk/protest singers tried to stick Dylan forever in that box -- he refused and turned electric. They boo-ed him on stage for years after that and Dylan just didn't care. I admire that ;)

Looking at Dylan's prolific talent, and understanding God's sovereignty, there is no arguing that Dylan was filled with the Spirit. Even went from Jewish rebellious kid, to Pentecostal gospel singer and now, well I don't know. I think he has "backslided" from Pentocostalism probably because it's an illogical and confusing theology for a thinker like Dylan.

Well, didn't mean to go on and on...been listening to a lot of Dylan lately. I put Joan on the back burner every once in awhile and then bring her out again only to love her still.

carol v

To any Dylan fans in the forum I highly recommend the movie "I'm not There."  Great flick. Cate Blanchette is actually the only actor playing Dylan who in any way resembles him. Very interesting and a terrific overview of his music.

Chuck

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 04:37:51 PM »

Dave,

Petra originated over 30 years ago.  They recently (about 2 years) ended things with a farewell tour and CD.  As with most bands they experienced several changes in members.  The lead singer most "fans" would be familiar with is John Schlitt, former lead singer of Head East.  I think their founder (Bob Hartman) lives in Nashville.

Chuck 

OBrenda

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »

Hi Eileen,

Ditto my Sister!  If you ever watched the "Anne of Green Gables" series she has a memorable saying "Kindred Spirit"!  I've had that feeling about you! ;D  ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.