bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: childish thoughts?  (Read 7402 times)

EKnight

childish thoughts?
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:17:24 AM »

I was thinking about when I was a young girl and watched "Jesus of Nazareth" I remember for the longest time feeling in love with Jesus.  Just saying that now sounds odd to me but it didn't feel at all strange at that time.  I am really finding it hard to put into words how I felt about Jesus then.  It was like a yearning to have lived during that time and being a part of His life.  I was trying to understand that time tonight and thought oh how childish I was then.  But then I remembered reading this verse:

Mat_18:3 and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."

And now I am wondering if my childish thoughts then is where I should be today.  In other words,  I need to be of that mindset once again.  Then again, maybe this verse means something entirely different from what it seems. :-\

Your thoughts?

Eileen

Stevernator

Re: childish thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »

The way I understand it is that we must have childlike faith to enter the kingdom of heaven. Perhaps a good analogy would be if you were a kid and your dad says wait here I promise I will be back.

Maybe you get tired and worried but you stay put because you know he will return. Or I suppose it could be similar to a loyal dog that waits a very long time for his master to come home.
I think that God wants us to be completely trusting of Him like an innocent child would. As we age we usually become skeptical and wearied of the world but it should not be like that with our relationship with God. We should have unyielding faith and an attitude filled with awe of God like a child would have.

I don't think you have to try to forcefully change yourself but perhaps a change of heart can come from reading scripture, staying in prayer and maybe spend some time in nature. It is very easy to get distracted with the burdens of life sometimes.

Roy Monis

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:43 AM »

I was thinking about when I was a young girl and watched "Jesus of Nazareth" I remember for the longest time feeling in love with Jesus.  Just saying that now sounds odd to me but it didn't feel at all strange at that time.  I am really finding it hard to put into words how I felt about Jesus then.  It was like a yearning to have lived during that time and being a part of His life.  I was trying to understand that time tonight and thought oh how childish I was then.  But then I remembered reading this verse:

Mat_18:3 and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."

And now I am wondering if my childish thoughts then is where I should be today.  In other words,  I need to be of that mindset once again.  Then again, maybe this verse means something entirely different from what it seems. :-\

Your thoughts?

Eileen

Hi! Eileen

In my humble opinion you are spot on. Too much education and you begin to think you know it all and a certain amount of pride sets in, whereas if we approach Him in a child's mindset we draw much closer to Him.

I have always believed that if you approach Him like a child He will feed you with just the right amount that you can handle and no more.

We all want more and more of Him and can't get enough, spiritual greed I think we once called it in an earlier posting. Regrettably our heart's desire may lead to our downfall in the end. "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall." (1Cor.10:12).

God bless you sister in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

OBrenda

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:10:57 AM »

Hi Eileen,

I think there is a difference between "Childish Thoughts"  and Feelings!
Thoughts are seperate from feelings, and our feelings come out of our thoughts.

For an example your Husband gets a strange phone call in the middle of the night, and he leaves the room to speak privately with whomever it is that called.  As your mind takes in the information, it tries to reason what is going on. Most Wives I would think, would start to have a fearful sick feeling arise within them.

When you question him, you find out it was some old lost Army Buddy living on the other coast, who is flying in next week and wants to have lunch and introduce his Wife and kids.  Now you have the facts so your feelings of fear subside.

As a child if your "Father" received the same phone call, you would probably go back to sleep with not a care in the world.  Trusting that he will take care of everything.  Happy in the knowledge that you are little and helpless, and he is Powerful and Brilliant!

I think it means how we see ourselves in our relationship with God.  Is he our "Father God" who we trust and can sleep in peace knowing he is in charge!  (If we think like a child, we are thinking less...and just being)  Being in Nature is such good advice, because we look at what God has made, not at what man has made, from what God has made!

Enjoy and Return to Your First Love of Him,
Brenda
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:13:11 AM by OBrenda »

Kat

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »

Hi Eileen,

Mat 18:3 and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."

As followers of Christ we must become "like" children, I think of a little child as innocent and any who will enter the kingdom must stand innocent before Christ and pure of heart.

Php 2:14-16  Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent 185, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.

G185 akeraios - unmixed, that is, (figuratively) innocent: - harmless, simple.

Mat 5:8  Blessed are the pure 2513 in heart: for they shall see God.

G2513 katharos - clean (literally or figuratively): - clean, clear, pure.

The purity and innocent of a child's heart is from ignorance of evil.  But the chosen must go through this evil experience and then be dragged to Christ and cleansed and set right by the sacrifice and judgments of Christ.

Heb 10:19  Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus,
v. 20  by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh,
v. 21  and having a High Priest over the house of God,
v. 22  let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

I little child is ignorant of the ways this world and is simplist in mind seeing the good in things and there is no need to fear them.  We are not ignorant any longer and must become wise to the ways of the world.  But as a child is innocent from doing any harm, we must be likewise to be able to rule with Christ.

Mat 10:16  "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

1Co 13:11  When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
v. 12  For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

Just some thoughts to add  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:11:41 PM by Kat »

Roy Monis

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »

Hi! All

If I understand Eileen's post correctly I think she means her approach to Christ must be childish and humble, it matters not whether one knows the Scriptures back to front or very little, He will supply the inspiration to glean all that is necessary from the likes of Ray's teachings and the postings on this forum.

Just my opinion on what I see in her post.

God bless you brothers and sisters in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

Samson

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »

Your thoughts?

Eileen

Hello Eilleen,

I sort of interpreted your Post as to relating to "feelings" like Brenda mentioned, if that is the case, then I experienced some of the same thing when watching some of those Bible based movies about Jesus. I experienced that more when watching the movie, The Robe with Richard Burton, Victor Mature and Jean Simmons. I have a copy of that movie and still sometimes cry when Jesus was nailed to the cross, He committed know sins and no deception came out of him and he was treated horribly by his own people. Of course all of us know it was supposed to happen and all that, but it really moves the emotions. If he came in our time to re-live the same experience as what happened in the first century, Who would be his biggest opposers and critics and nail him to the cross, probably the Churches of Christendom that claim to follow him. I remember being naive, innocent and thinking that most people were basically good, now I know we are molded by our circumstances in life. I remember being in my late teens reading the Gospels and noticing all the good things he did for people; miracles, wonderfull explanations and saying I wish I could be more like him. He was humiliated, beaten, slapped, insulted, accused of getting his power from Beelzubub, breaking laws and being a false prophet and more and all of these accusations were false about him and didn't retailiate in like manner. If you feel deep, that will make you cry.

Kat mentioned the Scripture at Matthew 18:3 and a Child is not only meek, but teachable, innocent and doesn't have preconceived predjdices, until Adults corrupt them, so what I'm saying is that it's good to remain a " child at heart ", even though we have the experience and knowledge of an Adult.

Just my reaction and thoughts to this thread.

Brother, Samson.

Linny

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:34:19 PM »

I always try to approach this by thinking of the way my children see their Dad. I think if I trust in God the way my children trust in us, then I am on the right track.

My kids don't worry about how loved they are, if we will ever desert them when they need us, they run to us when they are hurt for comfort.  They never worry about where their next meal is coming from, they simply ask for food when they are hungry. They expect that when they outgrow their clothes and shoes that we will replace them. They know that if something is in my power to do for them, I will do it.

How often do we run around trying to solve all our problems and looking for someone to help us before we realize that our help comes from above and all good things come from our Heavenly Father? I am working hard to go to Him first and believe that He will take care of all my needs. From the very large to the very small.
Just like my kids.

Just this spring, my Heavenly Father rescued us from forclosure and the IRS. It took a lot of faith to trust for such big things as that. Thankfully He gave it to us.

Heidi

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:09:23 PM »

I little child is ignorant of the ways this world and is simplest in mind seeing the good in things and there is no need to fear them.  We are not ignorant any longer and must become wise to the ways of the world.  But as a child is innocent from doing any harm, we must be likewise to be able to rule with Christ.

Mat 10:16  "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

I love the living word of God!!  Innocent as a dove.....wow

Kat, I always enjoy reading your replies to the posts, you have so much wisdom and insight and God really uses you to also teach us.

Having read all the replies to this post, I note that everyone does have somewhat of an understanding about being childlike in our thoughts and conduct.  Lately I have been calling God "Abba" when I refer to Him as my Heavenly Father....and "my King and Saviour...God", whim I am in awe of Him, humbled by His presence.

But mostly He is my "Daddy God" and Jesus is my older brother.  I am grateful to God, in that I have a wonderful relationship with my Dad....it makes it easier for me to relate to "Abba" and to have an living relationship with Him.

Love in Chris Jesus
Heidi

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:59:41 PM »

When scientists classified the the senses, I think they left one out--imagination.

And I think that is what you are referring to.  It's one thing that kids (those that still are kids) have all over grown people.  Isn't it still valuable to 'imagine' being in the settings where the great stories of the Bible occured?  Wasn't it valuable for you to imagine yourself there walking with Christ?

Imagination helps us see what can't be seen.  If that's the case, then maybe this applies as well.

Heb 11:1-3  Now faith is the assurance of things we hope for, the certainty of things we cannot see.  For by it our ancestors won approval.  By faith we understand that the universe was prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was made from things that are invisible.

I certainly think that imagination (subject to Christ) plays a large role in faith.  That's one way that a little child can lead.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

gmik

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 12:18:56 AM »

Today, driving around town w/ my 3 grandchildren, I had this very thought!!

They were in the back seat, playing, totally oblivious to any sudden danger that might come our way! Not that they knew this of course, but in reality they were trusting totally in me to get them where we were going.  Trusting so much, that they never once looked around or asked me if everything was OK.

Not once playing the back seat driver!!!  Isn't that an awful bumper sticker???? God is MY Co-pilot!

Good thread all!!!  Thanks.

Chris R

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 08:28:41 AM »

Christs words:

Except ye be converted, and become as little children,

ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Paul explains:

1Cr 14:20 ¶ Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

Peace

Chris R

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 09:46:29 AM »

Well, I am forced to admit that--at best--my choice of the word 'imagination' was unfortunate, and--at worst--complete vanity and false 'wisdom'.  Having seen all the references to 'imagination' in at least the KJV, it's clear that God has little respect for at least vain and evil imaginings.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be salvaged from my first post by, say, replacing 'imagination' with some other concept.  Is there a verse that I think I seem to remember that admonishes us to bring every thought into submission--that allows a right 'imagination'?

Am I completely wrong to assume that 'visioning' the unseen is something God can honor?  Or am I imagining things?

Anyway, I will try to speak less and consider more going forward.  I know I have far more to learn than to 'teach'.  I'm sorry.   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 09:36:34 PM »

Well, I am forced to admit that--at best--my choice of the word 'imagination' was unfortunate, and--at worst--complete vanity and false 'wisdom'.  Having seen all the references to 'imagination' in at least the KJV, it's clear that God has little respect for at least vain and evil imaginings.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be salvaged from my first post by, say, replacing 'imagination' with some other concept.  Is there a verse that I think I seem to remember that admonishes us to bring every thought into submission--that allows a right 'imagination'?

Am I completely wrong to assume that 'visioning' the unseen is something God can honor?  Or am I imagining things?

Anyway, I will try to speak less and consider more going forward.  I know I have far more to learn than to 'teach'.  I'm sorry.   

I may share some ignorance here, I didn't have a problem with the word imagination?  Without imagination we would still be living in tents, and would be unable to comunicate on this forum.  Is the definition for vain imagination taking credit for these things, or is it fruitless daydreaming??
 ??? ???

EKnight

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »

Dave--I actually thought your post was "Spot on" as Roy UK would say.  I thought you understood my original post in your post.  I did imagine what it would have been like to be there with Jesus in those days.  I didn't think that was vain. Maybe I am wrong but I was just a kid, so I don't see how that could be wrong.  Loving someone so much that you wish you could meet them.  I still want to meet my maker!

Eileen

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 04:18:24 AM »

Brenda.  Fruitless daydreaming or taking credit.  Surely both would apply and I am often guilty of both.

Eileen, if what I said was spot on, I'm very glad.  And believe me, I'm not suggesting you were sinning then or now.  I do believe very much that imgination is a wonderful thing, and powerful when what we are imagining is based on truth.  But in looking for 'prooftexts' to expand on my profundity, I only saw instance after instance of God's judgement against imaginings.

Clearly, my little 'study' was not thorough and it seems clear to me that God had excellent reason to warn against vain and evil imaginings, but perhaps no reason to mention any obvious and self-evident productive uses for it.

My mea culpa was not so much for the message, but for the messenger.  We are well aware (moreso than most folks) of the damage and confusion that vain and evil imaginings can produce in people.  I am very capable of having that in my own life and mind, and God dragged me kicking and screaming to that remembrance this morning.

Here--in this forum and with this truth--I simply need to be more humble.  I hope that's clearer now. 

Love to you both.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.