bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talents  (Read 5540 times)

zander

Talents
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:35:56 AM »

Dear Crew

I recently thought about the scripture/parable that gives the story of the man with many talents.  You all know the one.  The one where the guy who was given talents that did nothing with them and hid them was lambasted and the guys who made more of their talents were praised.

Is this a parable for laziness?

You see, i like to see that i have a talent in pursuing a career in radio.  I do it voluntarily here in a local hospital, but i would so love to do it professionaly. I present news, games, stories, facts etc. Now i have applied and done some work to achieve this goal and after some interest from public radio stations i have sort of failed to follow up on a lot of it.  Its a difficult path.  I mean you have to be good.  I get praised for my work though.

But sometimes i think that pursuing a talent that i have is following a fleshly desire and maybe its not so bad that i am being a little apathetic about it at the moment..  Not that i want to give up this radio dream totally, but i dont want to be one of those, foaming at the mouth ambitious people who will not let anything get in theiir way kind of attitude.

What are your opinions?  is the parable about laziness?  Should i continue in my quest?  am a bit confused.

Becky

Talents
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 01:09:08 PM »

I used to think of this parable of talents as actual "TALENTS" (singing dancing art etc)  Now I think that that kind of talent may apply but it is more about what you do with the truth you've been given.

I have the same problem as you. I have a full time job in an office but I often want to do my art as a career (that's the degree I graduated with)

I question whether I should give my talents freely, or if I do charge am I abusing the gift that was given to me...  I enjoy the praise sometimes (since art is such a visual field) because that helps me know that what I'm doing is enjoyed by others.  

I've come to the conclusion that I would not be a bad idea to have a side business in art, to help bring in some more income to help my family and also give me variety.

God gives us strengths and talents to use but I don't think that we are obligated to use them 24/7... we have many gifts that aren't mere"talents".

Being at the office is a place God put me to interact with others and to learn.  I thought it was going to be a waste of time and that i should be using my art talent all the time...  God is definately using different talents at different times to teach and shape us: so that we can be used in a variety of ways.... not always just one.  :wink:

I don't think the parable is about laziness but of denying Jesus.

I think your feelings (based on what you wrote) is the natural fear of failing at something you love... I think it your mind playing tricks on you to just find reasons not to try.... please let me know if I'm wrong (I know i feel this way a lot about my art :(

hope i helped even if only a little

hillsbororiver

Talents
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »

talents3603

H3603
כּכר
kikâr
kik-kawr'
From H3769; a circle, that is, (by implication) a circumjacent tract or region, especially the Ghor or valley of the Jordan; also a (round) loaf; also a talent (or large (round) coin): - loaf, morsel, piece, plain, talent.

talents5007

G5007
τάλαντον
talanton
tal'-an-ton
Neuter of a presumed derivative of the original form of τλάω tlao4 (to bear; equivalent to G5342); a balance (as supporting weights), that is, (by implication) a certain weight (and thence a coin or rather sum of money) or “talentâ€?: - talent.

I believe this is one of those incredibly rich and textured usages of a word or phrase He uses that can be applied and/or perceived correctly on different levels, physically or spiritually.

Could it mean any good thing the Lord gives to us? Whether it be a natural "talent" such as art, music even an aptitude for math or science as well as blessing our labors with material gain (money)? Or imparting wisdom, opening our eyes to His knowledge?

Does this admonish us to share, disperse and especially utilize our gifts from Him to His glory?

zander

Talents
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:39:16 PM »

Yeah thats good stuff.  becky, i know what you mean.  I sat at home after a show i had done and thought to myslef i really should be doing more to pursue this talent of mine.  Then thought, oh its not that bad, stop chasing stuff thats physical and not spiritual.  Radio can pay very well and hold you in high esteem.  I thought "am i doing it for that" or "am i doing it because i love it"??  I know i love it.  But which comes first?  The money and fame in it or the love for it?

Its not that i am not pursuing it at all, its that i am not doing as much as i should be.

Joe, when i read your hebrew posting of talent, i thought, it meant something totally different to personal abilities, it seems to come across that way? am i wrong?

lilitalienboi16

Talents
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 02:29:27 AM »

Can someone give me the scripture for this parable.

I've read it before, but for some reason i have a feeling this verse is talking about:

What spiritual truth you are given, you will be held accountable for. I don't think it has anything to do about Physical.

Shouldn't we look at this the way Jesus told us we should. "His words are SPIRIT" and its a PARABLE.

Aren't parables not ment to be LITERAL?

I could be wrong, but i believe that this is what for some reason is going through my head even without reading the parable to refresh my memory. So if someone could point me to the book and verses :D

God Bless,

Alex

zander

Talents
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 07:09:26 AM »

Hi Alex, its Matt in 25:14.  I always deemed it to have something to do with laziness and/or sloth.  The fact that God gives us these gifts and we should do something with them.  They may be spiritual gifts or physical gifts.  They are still gifts after all and can be used to the benefit of other people.

hillsbororiver

Talents
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 08:59:44 AM »

Zander you nailed it, much of what is written should be applied to our physical time here as well as our spiritual growth.

This particular parable strikes me as an admonishment against; fearfullness, greed, laziness, trepedition, and that all gifts from Him should be used toward His glory. Providing for your family and sharing with the unfortunate may be physical but it is also spiritually uplifting, working and excelling at your job or career as you display godliness will provide a conduit to witnessing of/for Him.

We are compared to precious gems and gold in other scripture and our "talents" are a portion of what and who we are, what we do or don't do with them gives a bold statement of our spiritual state.

Joe

hillsbororiver

Talents
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »

His Word is truly amazing, as I was sitting in my office another thought came to mind, "burying talents," when we are doubtful, lazy, or greedy, selfish, etc. are we then "burying" those God given talents in our carnal nature? The dust/clay of the earth swallowing up (burying) commissions or gifts from our Lord?

This just jumped out at me, I had never quite looked at it like this.

Thank you all,

Joe

jennifer

Talents
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 07:53:47 PM »

Matt. 25:1 begins with the subject of The Kingdom of Heaven, giving examples of those eligible to enter therein.  I think the talents are the gifts God's grace has bestowed upon us individually and the righteous manner in which we should use them in our Love commandment.
jennifer

love_magnified

Talents
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 08:41:18 PM »

Quote from: hillsbororiver
His Word is truly amazing, as I was sitting in my office another thought came to mind, "burying talents," when we are doubtful, lazy, or greedy, selfish, etc. are we then "burying" those God given talents in our carnal nature? The dust/clay of the earth swallowing up (burying) commissions or gifts from our Lord?

This just jumped out at me, I had never quite looked at it like this.

Thank you all,

Joe

I believe this is right on. In 1 Corinthians 3 good works are compared to jewels. Those works are from the fruit of the spirit. The talents that the man buries are are the fruits of the spirit. From the fruits of the spirit come good works. Christ said "what I whisper to you in the dark, shout from the rooftops."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.