bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I Love Myself  (Read 6420 times)

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
How Do I Love Myself
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:56:19 PM »

A friend of mine sent this to me:

Love After Love
The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,
and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

It got me wondering what it really means to love myself.
I see all the scriptures pertaining to loving your neighbor as you love yourself.
So how do I love myself??
Are such sayings like this even scriptural??
I'm a sinner, a beast, the son of perdition, yet carnal, my heart seeks evil daily, I'm pretty disgusted with myself.
How do I love a man like this??

Antaiwan

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

OBrenda

Re: How Do I Love Myself
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:41:58 PM »

Antaiwan

(I'm a sinner, a beast, the son of perdition, yet carnal, my heart seeks evil daily, I'm pretty disgusted with myself. How do I love a man like this??)

My Sweet Brother the "Beast" is not who you really are in the spirit.  But a part of our earthly humanity, and a royal pain in the ?ss. Certainly not worthy of your Love.  And everybody who is fortunate to be aware of him...struggles and fights him just like you.

God teaches us to understand ourselves as a new creature...as a Tree with many branches, or one body with many parts.  I think we are to Love Not our individual self, but our collective selves! (Body of Christ)
If we see with eyes that see ourselves as part of the Body of Christ are we not becoming Love?

Maybe the question is not should I Love myself,....But am I becoming Love?

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm a Daisy Throwing Fruit Cake!
 ;D

joyful1

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »

Antiawan--
Be patient with the destruction and remaking of who you are, that your God knows how to perform....perfectly! I am not the same person that I was 20 years ago, 20 weeks ago, 20 minutes ago....neither are you....we are in the midst of change. I believe that you will love who you will become....because we WILL be like Him!
Love,
Joyce :)

EKnight

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:50:49 PM »

Once I learned that God purposed everything I have done, I loved myself.  I felt better about myself knowing that God is working out his great plan and we are ALL a part of it.  That notion also helps me to love my neighbor.  Just as it has been said that God said ,after creation, (including evil), that it was "good", all of us are created perfect for our purpose.  What's not to love about that?  :)

Eileen

Chris R

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:03:17 AM »

Gods purpose for Evil is for our ultimate good, However Evil is still evil....

Peace

Chris R

dogcombat

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:03:53 AM »

Antaiwan,

I remember a topic like this some time ago on this forum and what it boils down to is the fact that it is NOT your job to love yourself.  It's Jesus job, and He ALREADY does.  You may not feel that way right now, but that doesn't change the reality of that fact.  What's more, as Ray posted in the "Hades & The Second Death"  paper, we are being transformed into hating this life via the trials and tribulations in order to be glorified with Christ.  (that's my summation of what Joe posted on another thread)

I feel what you're saying brother, however I think that God as teaches you how to live transformed by His Love the more you will love others.  But it first starts with Him.   Think of His Love as slow cooking, burning out the vanities of the flesh one step at a time.  He ain't finished with you, and you're right where He wants you to be.

May God reveal more of His Love in Christ to you

Ches

OBrenda

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »

Again....what Eileen shared was also my experience.  I was lost in self loathing, before I found BT.  But once I learned that God has directed all my weakness, talents, and choices.  I saw myself differently, not the cause, but the creation.  I still see that proverbale mirror, with the beast staring back at me from time to time. Boy is he UGLY!

My interpretation of the poem above, is the Revelation that most people are living lives unconscious of the "fearfully and wonderfully made" part of our Being that GOD is transforming into his likeness.  That the Lost live their lives playing roles, wearing masks to fool others, so busy are they doing this, they don't know who or what they are.

But the whole counsel of God is when we  "Sit and feast on our Life" (from the poem) there is a Beast that also feasts with us!

So we pray that he grinds the beast in us to powder and remake us into vessels of honor!  This is our Hope!

Antaiwan, would you like us to pray for you?
  Are you O.K.??

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 11:53:01 AM »

Great replies!

Antaiwan,

I pray often asking God to teach me to love Him.  As the Lord continues to open up my understanding about the truth of who He is, my love for Him continues to grow.

As I learn to love God, I am also learning to love my brethren, as well as myself.  It is the changes that the Lord is making in me that enables me to love the work He is doing in me.

It all starts with God.  Seek to love Him and you will love yourself.

You are always in my prayers, Antaiwan.

René

gmik

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 12:45:45 AM »

OMG what a beautiful thread.  I have got chills. The answers are perfect- for all of us, not just you Antaiwan.  We are all in the same boat.

Antawain, you have asked such a deep heart felt question--which is exactly what makes you Loved.

We see in a glass darkly, but THEN we will see face to face!!  What a wonderful promise from Paul.

WE see ourselves as seeking evil, and a beast--but that is our earthly viewpoint.  God doesn't see us like that.

Remember the song,  When people saw a shepherd boy (David), God saw a King!

Akira329

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »

Gosh, I really appreciate all the responses :)
Thank you all so much!!

I also would be glad if you all would pray for me as I learn to love the Lord and me

Antaiwan
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

OBrenda

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 09:17:33 AM »

I also would be glad if you all would pray for me as I learn to love the Lord and me

Antaiwan

Have Got Your Back Brother!
Be Blessed in His Love,
Brenda

Patrick

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »

Quote from: Akira329

I'm a sinner, a beast, the son of perdition, yet carnal, my heart seeks evil daily, I'm pretty disgusted with myself.
How do I love a man like this??

Antaiwan

Antaiwan, hope this helps;

Quote from: L. Ray Smith
Dear Reader:   But it is good to feel guilt and shame. These emotions help to continuously keep us from committing the same sins OR to the same degree We have to "COME OUT"  of Babylon, and then we need to "STAY OUT."  And the staying out is often as difficult as the coming out. The more we spiritually grow and understand, the more we see our shortcomings.  It is good that God does not show us all of our sins all at once--it would be so over-powering and shameful, that we would have trouble facing another day.
God be with you,
Ray

During a rereading of LOF 14, I "matter of factually" told God, "I can't be that bad!"
I heard a voice behind me (it scared the bejeebies out of me) and it said, "I'll show you just how bad you are." :-[ :'(
I certanally felt like God was showing me ALL of my sins ALL at once.
I had trouble facing another day. No way I could love myself in that condition.
I now believe what Ray is saying, I don't think God shows us everything. But He did take me down to a level I felt was more than I could handle. Don't like those lower levels, but when I remember this verse, 1Co 6:20  For you are bought with a great price. Glorify and bear God in your body, it sure makes those troubles of looking forward to another day much easier.
You, and everyone else on this forum, are in my prayers daily.

Robin

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 10:06:16 PM »

The Lake of Fire PART III is a beautiful paper by Ray. The part about THE CALL OF PAUL was especially helpful to me.

http://bible-truths.com/lake3.html

Here are some verses that I've held close to my heart when I feel self condemnation. God's love and mercy toward us is beautiful.

1 John 4:18-20
18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

19We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.

Luke 7

36Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. 37When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.
 39When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner."

40Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you."
      "Tell me, teacher," he said.

41"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"

43Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."
      "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.

44Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

48Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

49The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"

50Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

...and Luke 18 is one of my favorites

10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Akira329

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »

Thanks M.G.! I definitely found comfort in those scriptures you gave!
Thanks Patrick for that email from Ray! I remember that email too!
Thanks Brenda for your prayers!!
I thank everyone!!!

So I have to love the man I'm becoming or desire to become?
In that I will love the church or fellow brethren, Christ and myself?

Antaiwan
-Albert Einstein
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.