bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire & Stones  (Read 5931 times)

hillsbororiver

Fire & Stones
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »

Jos 7:25  And Joshua said, Why hast thou troubled us? the LORD shall trouble thee this day. And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones.

Jos 7:26  And they raised over him a great heap of stones unto this day. So the LORD turned from the fierceness of his anger. Wherefore the name of that place was called, The valley of Achor(5911), unto this day.

H5911
עכור
‛âkôr
aw-kore'
From H5916; troubled; Akor, the name of a place in Palestine: - Achor.

2Th 1:6  Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;

Heb 12:29  For our God is a consuming fire.

1Pe 2:5  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Often when looking into one thing something else jumps right out, reading Joshua Chapter 7 it struck me how this could very well be a prophecy of the Lake of Fire, you have the stones/elect, as Peter describes "lively stones" as well as fire, as you well know Moses [Deu 4:24, Deu 9:23] and Paul refer to our God as "a consuming Fire."

It struck me that perhaps much of what is written in the OT about people being stoned to death or burned in fire is actually the process of those who are actually being purged and perfected in the LOF.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

rjsurfs

Re: Fire & Stones
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »

Hi Joe,

That is interesting about stones... and now I see I need to study some more as I had not been aware of the "living stones" reference in 1 Peter.

I have looked at stone in this way:

Mat 7:9  Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?

Bread being Christ the new bread or life and stone being law (or as to cause stumbling for those who can't perceive)

I had been seeing stone as a representation of the law that ultimately kills... and this could actually go along with what you are seeing... that being "living stones" who would comprise the Lake of Fire/Second Death that judges humanity.

I may be way off here... but I'm glad you brought "living stones" to my attention.  Something I want to look into further.  It is amazing what you find when you study and pray for understanding and a love for the truth.

Bobby

Kat

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:40:40 AM »

Hi Joe,

I found what you brought out very interesting.  I think it has been in the back of my mind what you were saying, but when you focused on it, it just shined a light on it that I had not noticed before.  Here is a Scripture I found that I think is also speaking about these stones/Elect.

Eze 16:39  I will also give you into their hand, and they shall throw down your shrines and break down your high places. They shall also strip you of your clothes, take your beautiful jewelry, and leave you naked and bare.
v. 40  "They shall also bring up an assembly against you, and they shall stone you with stones and thrust you through with their swords.
v. 41  They shall burn your houses with fire, and execute judgments on you in the sight of many women; and I will make you cease playing the harlot, and you shall no longer hire lovers.

Lots of symbolism here, but it does seem to fit with the Elect judging the world.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »

I'm going to speak one more time over my paygrade, but couldn't this whole passage be a sign of the judgement on the Elect?  This fellow Achen was sifted out of the Nation, a particular Tribe, a particular family and household down to the single man.  He confessed his sin and repented.  Then he was judged for the good of the Nation.  That's the path of the Elect, isn't it?

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »

Hi Dave,

I think many times the Scriptures have parallels with what the Elect go through now and what the rest will go through later.  I think it's interesting to see both sides of it.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »

Hi Dave,

As Kat said there are many layers and textures to His Word and I have seen many times verses having multiple applications, but as far as Achan goes I think he represents more of the called (not chosen), even to represent church leadership who have replaced love of His Spirit with the love of money.

1Ti 3:8  Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

Tit 1:7  For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

Tit 1:11  Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

1Pe 5:2  Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

Let's have a look as to what Acher's sin was;

Jos 7:19  And Joshua said unto Achan, My son, give, I pray thee, glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession unto him; and tell me now what thou hast done; hide it not from me.

Jos 7:20  And Achan answered Joshua, and said, Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done:

Jos 7:21  When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it.

You know there appears to be a New Testament parallel here as well;

Act 5:1  But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

Act 5:2  And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Act 5:3  But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost and to keep back part of the price of the land?

Act 5:4  While it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Act 5:5  And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

Act 5:6  And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him

You know this is not just applicable to money but to whatever talent, wisdom or any gift from God or responsibilty we have been charged with, if we hold back and serve ourselves rather than serve God instead of a reward we will receive many stripes in the second death of the LOF.

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »

Hi Joe,

That is interesting about stones... and now I see I need to study some more as I had not been aware of the "living stones" reference in 1 Peter.

I have looked at stone in this way:

Mat 7:9  Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?

Bread being Christ the new bread or life and stone being law (or as to cause stumbling for those who can't perceive)

I had been seeing stone as a representation of the law that ultimately kills... and this could actually go along with what you are seeing... that being "living stones" who would comprise the Lake of Fire/Second Death that judges humanity.

I may be way off here... but I'm glad you brought "living stones" to my attention.  Something I want to look into further.  It is amazing what you find when you study and pray for understanding and a love for the truth.

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Actually you have fleshed it out a bit rather than being "off." The elect after being purified and changed will be the embodiment and fulfilment of the Law as was Christ, not the cold, hardhearted law of the Pharisees but the Law of Love that is God! This Love always seems harsh at first to those being purified by it but we are promised the end result trumps by far any tribulation we may have along the way.

Thanks Brother,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 02:51:57 PM »

Hi Joe,

I found what you brought out very interesting.  I think it has been in the back of my mind what you were saying, but when you focused on it, it just shined a light on it that I had not noticed before.  Here is a Scripture I found that I think is also speaking about these stones/Elect.

Eze 16:39  I will also give you into their hand, and they shall throw down your shrines and break down your high places. They shall also strip you of your clothes, take your beautiful jewelry, and leave you naked and bare.
v. 40  "They shall also bring up an assembly against you, and they shall stone you with stones and thrust you through with their swords.
v. 41  They shall burn your houses with fire, and execute judgments on you in the sight of many women; and I will make you cease playing the harlot, and you shall no longer hire lovers.

Lots of symbolism here, but it does seem to fit with the Elect judging the world.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Hi Kat,

Yes! Especially verse 40 which adds another symbol/clue to this the sword! The sword of His Word.

Perfect, thank you Sister,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.