bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Curious  (Read 4877 times)

fstamp

Just Curious
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:50:02 AM »

Is it being judgemental when a pastor talks about how "wicked" certain famous people are during his sermons? 

Fstamp..

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Just Curious
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:16:50 AM »

How wicked is the Pastor?   :)

Maybe he knows that most people actually worship celebrities and is trying to warn them off their idolatry.  Admirable, IMO.

In all seriousness, I think it would depend on his heart and his words.  Was he like the Pharisee praying next to the Tax Collector?  "Lord, thank goodness I am not like this sinner!"

Preachers have some responsibility to preach godliness and that includes being against sin.  The sin that Jesus preached most about was the sin of the Pharisees--of course he preached most of them to their faces.  And I guess that's what you are asking.

One man's answer:  It depends.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:29:44 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

winner08

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:22:44 AM »

It all depends what in that pastor's heart. Only God knows for sure.

Darren

gmik

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:18:54 AM »

Oh yes, he is being judgemental.

musicman

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:30:44 AM »

I think it's OK if one provides examples of evil behavior.  But it is judgemental to call someone evil, especially considering the planks in their/our eyes.  You can't make a fair judgement based on mere acts.

David

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 06:44:58 AM »

Read Matthew 23, then go through the rest of the Gospels and see how Jesus spoke to prostitutes, adulterers, tax collectors and revelers, thieves etc. Yes He hated their sin, but He hated the sins of the religious leaders of the day much more. Jesus does not change, so therefore the same can be said today. So yes he is being judgmental. Luke 12 gives us a very profound parable that gives us an idea of what Judgment awaits those worthy of stripes that do not know Gods will, and those that do, yet continue to sin.

winner08

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »

David: I ask this question before. I just wondering about what you said about those who do not know God's will and then those who do know God's will and yet continue to sin. My question is if God's will will be done no matter what, b/c He is in control of all things. Then how is it possible to know God's will and yet not do His will? Unless it is His will in the first place for us not to do His will even though we know it(His will). Then why would we be held responsible for not doing His will and then must receive stripes? Just something that has been on my mind.

Darren

musicman

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:36:23 AM »

Darren, Ray goes over this in his writings.  You may have to read his material about three times to fully understand the difference between God's will and His purpose.  When you sin, God's will is not done but His purpose for the moment has taken place.  God's will, will be done in the end.  Also, I think the scriptures show that man is held accountable for his sins but not responsible.  Finally, I feel that the carnal mind is so powerful that just knowing God's will, does not keep a person from sinning.  Only the holy spirit of God can stop us from sinning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.