> General Discussions

Was "the rich man in hell"

(1/8) > >>

ugthemc:
a parable?

"And in hell [Gk: ‘hades’] he [the Rich man] lift up his eyes, being in torment, and sees Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom" (Luke 16:23

I've heard that the above passage is "not headed in the Narratives as a parable". and if it was indeed literal, then Mrs. Smith's whole arguement of hell not being literal is false

nightmare sasuke:
It's definately a parable. Read Ray's article on Luke 16. He can explain it ten times better than me.

mmjones76:
My brother asked me this same question just recently,

the account of the Rich Man and Lazarus IS a parable (as Ray's article rightly points out)  my KJV actually has the heading " Parable of the Rich man and Lazarus".  The parable tells us that the rich man (which IS ISRAEL) will now be in "hell" meaning "unseen" in favor by God.   Like the last post said, if you want indepth then read Ray's article.  

Mike

Mickyd:
Almost everyone overlooks the following verses that appear just before the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man.

"And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided (scoffed at) him. And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; BUT GOD KNOWETH YOUR HEARTS: FOR THAT WHICH IS HIGHLY ESTEEMED AMONG MEN IS ABOMINATION IN THE SIGHT OF GOD. The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.  Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." Luke 16:14-18

He knew they were covetous and he also knew they had also committed spiritual adultery. The Pharisees were priest of the Temple...Jesus was not suggesting that they were cheating on their wives...but cheating on God! There is not a hint of the Doctrine of Eternal Torment anywhere in the Law. But according to Josephus, in reference to the Pharisees, he says this:  "They believe that wicked spirits are to be kept in an eternal imprisonment (eirgmon aidion). The Pharisees say all souls are incorruptible, but while those of good men are removed into other bodies those of bad men are subject to eternal punishment"

"And beside all this, between us and you there is a GREAT GULF FIXED: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence." Luke 16:26

This "Great Gulf Fixed" mentioned in verse 26 comes from Greek mythology...NOT from the Law!

nightmare sasuke:
Why do you think Jesus incorperated Greek mythology into his Parable? That way they would see, yet not understand?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version