bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hey guys, need a little help...  (Read 4420 times)

Indagator

hey guys, need a little help...
« on: May 16, 2006, 02:02:02 AM »

I was originally going to post this on another board, but it would only degenerate into differences and I wouldn't expect that so much here.

I  was posting a response concerning patience, and then commandments when I ran across this...

Gen 26:5  Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

I have to admit, I only checked Strong's but it had these...

משׁמרת
mishmereth
mish-meh'-reth
Feminine of H4929; watch, that is, the act (custody) or (concretely) the sentry, the post; objectively preservation, or (concretely) safe; figuratively observance, that is, (abstractly) duty, or (objectively) a usage or party: - charge, keep, to be kept, office, ordinance, safeguard, ward, watch.

מצוה
mitsvâh
mits-vaw'
From H6680; a command, whether human or divine (collectively the Law): - (which was) commanded (-ment), law, ordinance, precept.

חקּה
chûqqâh
khook-kaw'
Feminine of H2706, and meaning substantially the same: - appointed, custom, manner, ordinance, site, statute.

תּרה    תּורה
tôrâh  tôrâh
to-raw', to-raw'
From H3384; a precept or statute, especially the Decalogue or Pentateuch: - law.

Other than the usual definition of Torah, I'm completely lost on this although I think it should be obvious.  It seems redundant, but it's not...I'm not sure what to think of it.  It seems a guardian, a command, an ordinance and well...blah. It's pretty much redundant to me.  I'm afraid my fleshly eyes are getting in the way here and would appreciate input if possible.

OR! Is it in repetition to further solidify the meaning? See what I mean? I'm confused on this  :(

Hewp meh!

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 02:15:19 AM »

Im sorry, but i think i missed the question, could you rephrase it please :)

Thanks.

Indagator

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:03:32 PM »

Sorry about that  :lol:

I was asking why that verse in Genesis would say "charge, statutes, commandments, and laws"  when these are all basically the same thing..why not just say "laws"?  I'm wondering if there's something funky up with the translation, or my understanding of it.

*edit*
Now that I think of it, could it be because it's something that's mentioned four times and 4 = The Whole?

gmik

hey guys, need a little help
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »

Well....I'm not a guy but Ijust checked it out of the interlinear and I got ......nothing! Could be quite interesting tho. Repetition just might mean, hey take notice. God was promising Abram some awesome things.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 09:44:37 PM »

Yes i believe it has to do with the number 4= the whole, but maybe you could ask Mike or Ray and they can give you a more informed answer, because i don't know much about the Biblical numbers and there meanings.... YET :D

JesusOnly

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »

Gen 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

There are some things that might give you a clue.  For example:  It can be noted that offerings/sacrifices were practiced early on in man's history - Cain and Abel - and one can assume that Abraham probably practiced that too.  Then there is the Noahide laws which G-d gave Noah and all his descendants - Abraham was probably taught those Noahide laws.  There was probably other ceremonies/practices known because of the tithes that Abraham gave to King/Priest of Salem (Melchizedek).  Abraham obeyed G-d when G-d called him out of his own country.  Abraham obeyed G-d with the circumcisn, etc.  

There is not alot of detail/specifics of how some of these charges, commandments, statutes, etc came about, but it definately shows that Abraham was aware of an already made system of practices.

Thats my 2 pennies. :D

jennifer

Gen. 26:5
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 07:31:33 PM »

The common designation for Torah (referring to the five books of Moses) is Pentateuch, which is derived from the Greek penta, meaning five, and teuchos, meaning tool or book.  The term Pentateuch originated among the Hellenistic Jews who translated the Hebrew connotation of the books of Moses as Hamishah Humshe Torah-five fifths of the Torah.   These five books, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are usually translated as Law.  The origin of this translation goes back to the Septuagint, where Torah was translated nomos, meaning law.  The word Torah, however, has a much broader meaning.  It is derived from yarah, meaning to direct or to teach.  It thus denotes divine teaching, and is used in this sense throughout the Holy Scriptures.  Thus, Gen. 26i:5 - Abraham hearkened to My Voice, kept My Charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.  
jennifer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.