bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does God Talk?  (Read 8003 times)

EKnight

Does God Talk?
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:08:36 PM »

Do any of you think that God communicates with us in direct ways?  Like today I stopped on a radio station talk show and the guy was saying that when we become close to God we become more at peace (and I believe this) and then went on to say that when we know something (truths) that we should share them.  This came after my day at work where I had been telling some of my co-workers what I believe, and they listened.  Then joked around saying we were going to have bible studies once a week and I was like "no way, not me, I am not getting involved in that".  Then I get in my car and hear this radio show (which, by the way, I have never listened to a religious radio show in my entire life).  I am not fully convinced that God was talking to me so don't get me wrong.  However, would God communicate a message that way?

Eileen

mharrell08

Re: Does God Talk?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »

Hello Eileen,

The simplest way to tell if God is speaking to you is to 'try the spirits' or to compare spiritual (God speaking to you) with spiritual (His Word). If those 2 ever conflict, the scriptures will always win as they have 'two or three witnesses' that establish them to be true unlike a personal message to yourself which does not have any other witnesses.

Now for this particular situation, I think of Ray's paper on "Winning Souls for Jesus" and all the scripture references he has. So here are some thoughts:

1. If this guy that you heard on the Christian radio station believed in the truths of God's Word, the radio station would not have let him have 5 seconds on the air.

2. As Ray says, does light [So let your light so shine before men...Matt. 5:16] and salt [Ye are the salt of the earth...Matt. 5:13] make any noise?

3. If your co-workers were serious in learning scriptural truths, they would not be halfway serious and joking about it. I mean think about it, were you halfway serious and joking around when you began seeking the truth?

God will communicate in whatever manner he chooses. There are no limitations but He will never contradict his Word.

Hope this helps,

Marques
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:53:11 PM by mharrell08 »

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:42:24 PM »

Eileen, I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other, but I am concerned with this answer as well.  Like you, I don't feel fit to lead a Bible Study.  But unless I can be convinced that the Great Commission was for apostles only, I don't believe we are called to keep silent in all cases.

What is Salt and Light supposed to do when asked?

Your radio guy got you thinking.  I wouldn't put more meaning into that occurence than simply that.  God can speak through sunsets and butterflies too.  Your answers are in Scripture.

Look at the facts as you've presented them.  You told them what you believe and they listened.  This demonstrates (even if it doesn't prove) that they are open.  It COULD be that their joking was nervous.

Are they completely without Christ?  Are they Christian by tradition only?  Are they practicing their faith in the light they have?  Are they thoroughly decieved and worshipping Babylonian lies?  Each of those subsets requires a different approach.

Can you approach the subject with humility?  Can you remember that you are not 'closing a sale' but giving an account for the hope that is in you?  Can you leave all the results in God's Hands?  Always?

The more I have pondered this gospel of the Kingdom, the more I am convinced that 'no-hell' is not the Gospel.  It's TRUE, but it's not the Gospel.  It's good news for the world, but it's not the Gopel of the Kingdom.  Hell is a lie God is using to further the Gospel of the Kingdom (many called, few chosen).  But all of the Apostles and many others believed this Gospel and were converted before HELL was 'invented'.

You already know that it is not your job to save anybody.  But at this moment, I feel confident that you are free to share PROVIDED you can do so without spiritual pride, with Love, and faith in the Will of God, and provided you know where in their own journeys these people are.  That has got to be best considering them individually.

If leading a Bible study is out...and I can fully empathize there...then growing in grace and ministering love is your primary mission.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be willing to speak when called on to any of these people individually.  However, God has NOT put me in your shoes and I have NOT had occasion to do this yet...so please don't 'follow me' or you'll go nowhere.  I'm just pondering out loud and walking with you.

Thanks for bringing this up, Eileen.   

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

EKnight

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »

Well thanks Dave.  None of these people are practicing.  All were brought up in some Christian type faith but they are not seeking anything. 

Honestly, I don't know what compelled me to share my newfound truths.  I knew once I opened my mouth that I was subject to ridicule and could be put on the defensive (as is my unfortunate nature) but I didn't expect anyone to just jump on board with me either.  I know that no one comes to Him unless the Father drags/draws them.  But how do I know that God was not using me to draw them.  Don't get me wrong, I am far from prepared to be a teacher, but maybe He just needed me to plant the seed or get some thinking.  One person asked me where I go to read this and I told her. 

If they have questions I can answer, I will.  But I made it clear that I am just starting out on this journey.

I plan to bring in the scriptures, that to me, clearly prove there is no free will and that God is in control of it all.  But I already told them, if you don't even believe the bible to be the word of God, then anything I say will be useless.   

Eileen

OBrenda

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:14:41 PM »

Eileen

Isn't it great to be able to run these things by people?  
I remember a scripture somewhere about God speaking through a donkey...So if that is possible...what else?
But along with Marques advice about checking for conflict in scriptures, I think it is also scriptural to say that God would also be putting a desire for you to do in your heart.  Like he puts the desire for us not to Sin, long before he enables us to overcome the sin.  I could be wrong.

We know that all roads lead to his will, but that doesn't take the excitement out of the journey!

P.S.  Dave I Love "God speaking through Sunsets & Butterflies"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:20:24 PM by OBrenda »

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:58:52 PM »

There's no doubt that God was using you to plant a seed.  I fear that you may be rushing in in enthusiasm, but I don't know what you've already told them.

Couldn't you start with "Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life?"   ;D ;D ;D  That's true, isn't it?  I mean, meat for babies is not very motherly.   :D
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

winner08

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »

Does God talk? Well Jesus did say nobody has ever heard the voice of God or seen Him. Now, that being said, our Lord does use messengers and other means to speak to us. Useing dreams is another way. Maby intuition. But as far as hearing God's voice, no.

Darren

musicman

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:57:36 AM »

There's no doubt that God was using you to plant a seed.  I fear that you may be rushing in in enthusiasm, but I don't know what you've already told them.

Couldn't you start with "Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life?"   ;D ;D ;D  That's true, isn't it?  I mean, meat for babies is not very motherly.   :D

Dave, no offense, but every churchy says those two lines.  Usually when churchaholics say that, their saying that people are just screwing up His plans.  Personally, I don't think God plans anything.  He does things and things happen.  Now, since we don't know His purpose for us, we should live each moment knowing that God is in complete control.  We should search for truth and share it in small doses.  Perhaps, start with God's love but include His sovereignty.  Explain what God's love involves (blessings, chastenings, but ultimately, savation for all).  If anybody's still hanging around asking questions after this, then you can start on the "no free will" or "hell is a blasphamis hoax" or "I think a Lucifer is something that I blow out of my nose".  But when I hear those two lines you mentioned, it's usually from some churchahoy who is talking out of the side of his/her mouth.

By the way, if something like "Christ will save all" can be spelled out in one scripture, then it is the milk of the word.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:45:06 AM by musicman »

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 01:37:35 AM »

Hey man, none taken.  I know that's a pretty 'churchy' thing, hence the smilies.  I've even said it a few times door-to-door.  LOL.

I guess my main point is that not everybody shares the same heresies with the same level of vehemence.  It would seem better to me to let the other person raise the questions or even objections rather than assume they have them.

I know even reading some of Ray's articles that he may spend a great deal of time refuting some churchy belief that I never believed in the first place.  I'm sure if he were talking just to me, he might let some of that slide and get straight to the point.

Then again, maybe there's method to his madness.

Anyways...it's easy for me to say what Eileen should or shouldn't do.  I just hope I remember it when it comes my turn. 

digitalwise

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:43:24 AM »

Hi mharrell08

1. If this guy that you heard on the Christian radio station believed in the truths of God's Word, the radio station would not have let him have 5 seconds on the air.

The radio is just another form of communication. Used by true or false ministers. If we state the above and APPLY it then we could also say that if Ray were allowed on Radio he would be false. This is simply not a good statement. We could also apply this to another COMMUNICATION medium - the Internet.

2. As Ray says, does light [So let your light so shine before men...Matt. 5:16] and salt [Ye are the salt of the earth...Matt. 5:13] make any noise?

True - but on the other hand we are to do the following:

Proverbs 8

Wisdom's Call

1 Does not wisdom call out?
       Does not understanding raise her voice?
 2 On the heights along the way,
       where the paths meet, she takes her stand;

3 beside the gates leading into the city,
       at the entrances, she cries aloud:

4 "To you, O men, I call out;
       I raise my voice to all mankind.

5 You who are simple, gain prudence;
       you who are foolish, gain understanding.

6 Listen, for I have worthy things to say;
       I open my lips to speak what is right.

and...

2 Corinthians 4:13
It is written: "I believed; therefore I have spoken." With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak,

Ephesians 4:15
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.

Ephesians 5:19
Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,

James 2:12
Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,

1 Peter 4:11
If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

3. If your co-workers were serious in learning scriptural truths, they would not be halfway serious and joking about it. I mean think about it, were you halfway serious and joking around when you began seeking the truth?

Discussing bible in our troubled world is a noble thing faithful thing before our Lord. The other is what is called a "value" judgement" on the co-workers which may be correct.

As for hearing God's Voice:

Psalm 95:7
for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. Today, if you hear his voice,

Song of Solomon 2:14
[ Lover ] My dove in the clefts of the rock, in the hiding places on the mountainside, show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely. [natural or spiritual?]

And a prophetic word from Isaiah applicable for ME and you!

Isaiah 30:20-22 (New International Version)

20 Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. 21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." 22 Then you will defile your idols overlaid with silver and your images covered with gold; you will throw them away like a menstrual cloth and say to them, "Away with you!"

bye for now

digitalwise.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:56:47 AM by digitalwise »

mharrell08

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 08:27:14 AM »

Hello Digitalwise,

I'm sorry if you do not understand my point about the Christian radio station. Ray would not be allowed to speak more than a few seconds on a traditional Christian radio station. Their teachings and songs are all of Babylon so Ray's teaching would be a direct contradiction to their heresy. It's why Eileen made the point in saying that she normally doesn't listen to Christian radio. They do not speak nor believe the truths of His Word.

I have to agree on Ray about only having an answer to one's question but not everyone is a teacher. That's why I made the reference regarding salt & light of the world. Even if you start a bible study with almost all of Ray's papers printed out to guide you, if you are not called to be a teacher, you will stumble.

The impression I got from Eileen's original post is that her co-workers were somewhat patronizing her regarding bible studies. I could be wrong and only Eileen would be able to know for sure. I didn't mean to say that one could not be seriously seeking the Lord with a smile on their face. I just meant that we ALL were patronizing to the truths of His Word (having a 'yet right' attitude toward the salvation of all) before God revealed himself to us.

Thanks,

Marques

OBrenda

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »

Hello Digitalwise,

Wow...What beautiful Scriptures you shared.  I especially like this one!
Isaiah 30:20-22 (New International Version)   
20 Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. 21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." 22 Then you will defile your idols overlaid with silver and your images covered with gold; you will throw them away like a menstrual cloth and say to them, "Away with you!"

God is alway in every detail of our Lives to teach and direct Us torwards His will!

WhoAmI

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 04:19:02 AM »

The idea that a donkey can be right makes you second guess if you should start whipping the jackass so quickly.

Supposed quote heard from Balaam  ::)

Roy Monis

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »

Hi! Eileen

I believe God does speak to us, not God the Father but certainly His Son, Jesus Christ. He is not far from us, seeing He is within us and we in Him in the Spirit. Even a whisper in the Spirit would be very audible, like a trumpet. He speaks through donkeys and even through lampstands, there is no limit to what He can do. We may hear just the little voice and not understand it at first but then if we wait and meditate in His word and look back, you'll discover that you'd missed the answer to what you were looking for in your haste while on the way forward.

John gives an example of how God spoke to him. "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.” Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands;" (Rev.1:10-12).

And of how he received the answer when he turned and looked back. "When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades. Therefore write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after these things. As for the mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches." (Rev.1:17-20).

So God does speak, but we must be walking in the Spirit and be prepared to stop, look behind and listen.

God bless you sister in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

AK4

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »

just a thought from me...

i have been pondering how to approach some people (not everyone and just anyone)on the real Good News. its like i test them out or plant a seed.  I start up a meaningless conversation about nothing and then circle around to something about the Word (this may take one conversation or who knows how many, basically i try to get a feel for the person to see if they have some kind of interest in what is really true).

here's a scenario for example...

ME: hey Bob, did you see what the "experts" are saying about global warming and these CNN experts just following these "experts" like blind sheep.
Bob: Yeah.  man people can be so gullible i know
me and Bob: blah blah this and blah blah that.
me---(maybe the same day or another day or conversation):  Hey read another article about what we were talking the other day.  its about how politicians, the media and the big corporations use all kind of marketing techniques to make people believe things that fit there agenda.
Bob: Oh really that sounds interesting let me take a look at it.
the next day or week---
Bob: hey you know what Anthony that article was a real eye opener.  Man it just makes me wonder whatelse I've been duped to believe.
Me:  well i got a doosy of a one if you really wanna hear about it
Bob: Yeah what it is
Me: Well what if i told you that what you've been taught in church may not be the full truth or no truth at all?
Bob: I wouldn't believe you because my aunt has been a devout catholic for over 20yrs and she taught all that i know.
Me: maybe but let me just say one thing and give you this one article that Ive researched what this guy was talking about and i cant find one iota wrong with it and it makes perfect sense scriptural. 
Bob: whatever I'm cool
Me: okay if you get curious just let me know but remember what you read about the media and politicians
Bob: yeah yeah i got you i got you, maybe some day but not today.
Me: alright, hey we better get back to work.

(sorry i made that so long)...but basically i just plant a seed and if they act on that seed i will try to share with them what i think i know and show em something that Ray has wrote.  this is my approach most of the time and i don't get pushy with it.  i dint know i may be wrong doing it this way but maybe not.

currently I've had a couple of convo's with another coworker who really believes that God will not save all men. When the right opportunity comes up,  i will give him a copy of what Ray wrote on Foundational Truths and see how he responds.

tell me what you guys think

In Jesus

Anthony

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 03:46:06 AM »

I think it could be a great thing to give him the paper.  It's vital to remember though, whatever you do, that unless AND until God chooses to open his eyes, your coworker CANNOT be convinced solely by arguments--no matter how well-delivered.

I'll confess to doing a little imaginative role-playing in the comfort of my own home, running down 'what-if' scenarios like your conversation.  I also used to tie a bath-towel around my neck and flex my 'muscles' when Superman came on the TV, though I haven't done that lately.   :D  If there is any value to it, I think it's mostly for fortifying our own understanding and working through all that.  Kat's recent post about how we best retain what we learn comes to mind.

The only scripture I know of that 'seems' related (maybe a spiritual application if not a perfectly practical match) is:

Luke 12:11  (YLT)  `And when they bring you before the synagogues, and the rulers, and the authorities, be not anxious how or what ye may reply, or what ye may say,  12  for the Holy Spirit shall teach you in that hour what it behoveth you to say.'

So I think a superior 'method' is to get filled up with the Word of God and not rely on Theological talking points and sales methods.

Galatians 5:22  And the fruit of the Spirit is: Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23  meekness, temperance: against such there is no law;

Until then, hopefully that's what we are all developing, ven if some of us never become great debaters..

I also keep coming back to this point--the exposing of heresy, though necessary to lesser or greater extent (depending on who you are talking with) in western cnristian cultures, is not the complete Gospel.  It was necessary in Paul's day and is even moreso now.  But the fact that there is no Hell is not equivelant to 'God is not willing that any should perish', and neither are the full message.  There are two sides to a coin and it takes at least two cards to play blackjack.  And tango. 

Kat

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »

Hi Anthony,

I am like you about being careful who I present these truths to.  But I thought your scenario was very interesting.  I liked the way you 'try to get a feel for the person to see if they have some kind of interest in what is really true' before you jump right in and "cast your pearls before swine."  I would think it would be great to have the situation where you come in contact with these people frequently, so you are able to build up this kind of scenario over time.  Of course if you determine those that have a sincere interest, it would be good to plant a seed.  Who knows that this isn't the means that God is using to open a person's eyes.

It is hard to hold all this true in, when you have your eyes opened.  I think your approach is a really good way to search for those that you might be able to discuss these things with.  So keep at it  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

AK4

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 02:07:59 PM »

thanks Dave and Kat

Dave,
 I agree with you wholeheartedly about that God saving all men is not the whole gospel.  What i try to do is see what it is that that person might hold fast to i.e. the christian hell, or tithing etc.  and try to get them to see that maybe what they were taught is not the truth--to get them to start questioning what they have been taught.  This ends up becoming another way to feed in more seeds of truth if God opens up their eyes to that one point.  Then hopefully this sparks more curiosity and they may want to know more and more.  Well this is how it basically happened for me.  when i first read one of Rays papers--In the day of the slaughter, when the towers fall--- at first i was just wanting to read it about 911, but they way Ray backed up everything in scripture, it got me to want to read more on what he had to say.  Its great how God did this to me because each time i read one of his papers i wanted more and more and the way Ray writes his papers, he puts a little seed in everyone of them.  then its up to me or any person, God willing and leading, to follow up on that seed.

which by the way reminds me of something he wrote in one of his papers he states the scripture where it says the foolishness of preaching is why he is doing what he does which i believe can be linked to what the apostles had gone through when they first got the Spirit where they couldn't help but talk about the Gospel.  I'm at work so i dint have esword to find these scriptures.

i know what you mean Kat about how hard it is to hold it all in, but i have A question-- we shouldn't cast our pearls to swine, but in the same sense when we tell some one a truth we are to speak boldly and defend it(paraphrasing).  what is your thoughts on that?

Kat

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »

Hi Anthony,

I guess once you have engaged someone in a conversation about this truth, then it is up to you to defend it.  That's another good reason to be careful who you share it with, because the rest of that Scripture goes on to say, "lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you." (Matt 7:6)
So it is necessary to have at least a knowledge of the foundational truths in order to defend this truth.  Ray has mentioned this a number of times, here are a few email.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4865.0.html -----------

In 1Peter 3:15 we are told,  "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

This is really the basis for the best way to answer anyone. You cannot be persuasive unless what you tell someone is something that you yourself are living and experiencing.  You need to tell them about the "hope that IS IN YOU."  The them how you feel about God and about how you live your life for God, and there can be no better witness than this. If your faith is solid and your life is an example of godly living, then it will have an effect on those you comfort.

God be with you,
        Ray

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5799.0.html ---------

STOP TRYING TO TEACH!!  I have stated for years and years now that "EVERYBODY wants to be a teacher."  If God has not called you to teach, DON'T TEACH.  Thousands of people read my site and then go out and try to embarrass their minister by trying to making a fool of out him. They usually fail one hundred percent of the time. Knowledge puffs up. Give it up. Let God humble you before you try to show everyone all the secrets of the Bible and the universe.

God be with you,
    Ray

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3926.0.html ---------

The more you understand God's Truths, the more you will be able to explain them to others. We don't expect that people will casually read the material on our site and become expert teachers on the subject in short order. It takes many years of study AND MEDITATION to fully comprehend even the basic of the doctrines of Christ. I meditate virtually all of the time. I THINK about the Word of God, day and night. And in my meditation, God gives me flashes of spiritual insight, as He did just minutes ago while I was sitting in my bedroom. A simple truth, yet very profound. One that I have never heard expounded by anyone in my life. Maybe I will share this one at our Nashville Conference.

One thing you can do, is as you read a doctrinal paper, when you come to what is a profound thought and a profound Scripture regarding it, WRITE IT DOWN or at least make a margin notation in your Bible. These will become key Scriptures for you as you grow in grace and knowledge. And when the need arises, you will be able to quote the Scripture, find it in the Bible,and explain the concept to others. Don't try to memorize all the facts and all the Scriptures, not even I can do that with my own writings.

God be with you,

Ray

winner08

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 11:47:53 PM »

So true: When I first started reading Ray's papers on the lake of fire I couldn't wait to tell someone that there is no hell we are not going to burn forever. That my grandparents were not in hell because they were not born again Christians. This is what I told them and after I said this to them I had nothing else. Nowhere to go from there. They would ask me questions and all I could say is, I don't know. It made me look stupid. I learned a hard lesson. Now I can give a better account and then I tell them look it up on Bible Truths.com. Some actually come to me afterwards and tell me about what they read on Ray's site. This ends up to be a very good discusion.

Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.