bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy Metal Monk  (Read 5288 times)

chav

Heavy Metal Monk
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »

Hi

Thought this might make a few smile. He looks in better shape than Keith Richard that's for sure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7513571.stm

Dave

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Heavy Metal Monk
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:42:51 PM »

A man after my own heart.   ;D

Why should the Devil have all the good music? Larry Norman--somewhere in the hazy 1970's

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Beloved

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:25:33 PM »

This is very strange....

I have no idea what there "is" to either Heavy metal or Rap...it all seems like noise to me.  I love loud music.....but the grating on the guitars in heavy metal really irritates me....is there something I am missing..... ::)  Can anyone out there exlain it?

Rap seems like very bad poetry, with very little rhythm sung by many angry people.   :P

By the way...I do not like Elvis or Barry Manilow...when I hear something and I like it it does not matter what genre it is in... I have never heard one thing in either of the above two genre.  :D

I have to say though that at my present state I am finding myself less and less interested in music anyway.... I was just curious about what others saw in this type music .

beloved,

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »

Beloved, it's impossible to account for taste.  Some people like Heavy Metal just as some people like Jalapenos.  I suspect for similar reasons, too.   :)

I'm not a Heavy Metal fan, per se...but I identify with this monk.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kent

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »

This is very strange....

I have no idea what there "is" to either Heavy metal or Rap...it all seems like noise to me.  I love loud music.....but the grating on the guitars in heavy metal really irritates me....is there something I am missing..... ::)  Can anyone out there exlain it?

I'll try.

Some of it is noise. In some genres, you almost have to be a guitarist to understand what the guitarist is doing. It is not listener friendly. Some of the lyrics are not exactly enlightening and uplifting, either, if you can somehow understand what it is they are saying. It depends on the band.

I like it because I grew up listening to it.  My parents hated it because they grew up listening to other kinds of music. And now I cannot stand the current crop of "musicians" the same way my parents couldnt stand my choices. But I also remember my dad watching a AC/DC concert video, laughing at Angus Young (the guitarist) dressed in his schoolboy uniform, doing the "Curly shuffle" on stage.

And I know that there are some Ozzy Osbourne songs my parents would like. Some, but not all...

There is nothing more irritating than current "guitarists" just standing around banging out chords and "singers" in wheir whiney sniveling cracking voices. They are all interchangable. There is no individual style anymore. I can usually pick out a guitarist just by listening to a few bars, because even if I never heard the song before, I can sometimes recognize that persons style.

Nowadays they would not know a finely crafted solo if someone whacked a Les Paul Standard over their heads. ::)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:59:28 PM by Kent »

Beloved

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 10:54:24 PM »

Kent  Thanks for your responce, You gave me at least a sense of what you find attractive, I suspected maybe people were looking at something technical ie guitarist technique etc.  I understand that people have different tastes but to integrate your life around it, is something else.

That is why I mentioned Elvis, it seemed to me there s a lot of "herd mentality" involved, yes he had a nice voice sometimes, but I could never understand the hysterics, even with the beatles etc...or this morning on the Good Morning America with some female teenage idol, ...I listened to her sing ...and could not see what was so fantastick.....that I would sit out in a park in this heat for a day in a half to get a good seat....... it all seem to me irrational and to be emotionally based.

I think this capuchino monk looks very interesting and perhaps will at least be one  positive influence out there that may help others see that there is something else more significant in their life. He is at least one force that opposes all of the other negative influences out there.

Dave ....I like Jalepenos...

beloved

Kent

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »

I think you're right. It is sometimes a herd mentality. In my opinion, sometimes it is the result of marketing strategies, and not the artists talent or the lack thereof. There are a lot of very talented people out there that do not make it, and mediocre ones are promoted for some reason. It seems that sometimes one must look like a stereotypical axe murderer, or act like a drunken depraved slut 24/7/365, to make it.

When it comes to guitarists, it really does take talent and years of practice to be able to play an instrument at that level, even if some people dont care for or appreciate the music itself. It ain't easy. They just make it look easy.

Now, do Christians have any business listening to this? That is open for debate.

WhoAmI

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:16:38 AM »

It is to bad that the music is missed out simply because of the image that is often portrayed with it. If you were able to listen to some of the music played on different instruments you may appreciate it more. Or if persons with suits and with a clean shave played it as well. It is a sad that lots of people think instantly of drugs, sex and filth when they hear of metal music or heavy music. I can understand why, but I have written a number of musical pieces that were heavy and played them with my band. I can remember growing up and thinking it was noise also. It wasn't until I started playing guitar that I realized what talent it was that was making a lot of this music possible. The corruption that is linked with it need not be for a person to enjoy that genre of music. Minor chords have a darker sound, but it also has depth. It does not equal evil. The ocean is dark and deep but filled with amazing life and beauty. Religion has done a number on a lot of people in reference to music as well. It's all "Satan's" music as far as they are concerned. But like I said play the same pieces on a piano and they will mostly likely say it is a blessing from God. Go figure.  :o

Imabeliever

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 07:01:06 PM »

I have to say that I like heavy metal music, but some bands and some lyrics arent very Godly though the over all music is entertaining. I tend to block out the lyrics and enjoy the instrumental part of it!

David

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 06:17:16 AM »

I saw this on another forum last week. You have to admire this guys energy. I sing and play guitar in a band, I'm 44 and get exhausted very easy.
As far as the questions about heavy metal etc........I like it, have done most of my life. I'm a guitar teacher, and if done well and at its highest level, playing heavy metal music requires an enormous amount of skill. My favourite band Dream Theater, the four musicians in the band are regarded by industry experts in all genres as the best in the world in their field, and I'd agree with that.
I love most genres of music, but we all have things we don't like, and as has been said its all down to personal taste. Personally I don't care for western country music (bet that won't go down well here  8) ). The samey child like melodies, the quaint slushy lyrics, I just can't listen to it. Being a guitar teacher though, that's a disadvantage sometimes because people often want to learn that stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.