bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: my friend  (Read 12754 times)

Paul

Re: my friend
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »

I heard John Calvin stated Hell wasn't literal.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 10:56:07 AM »

Hi Paul,

The following is from John Calvin;

"Now, because no description can deal adequately with the gravity of God’s vengeance against the wicked, their torments and tortures are figuratively expressed to us by physical things, that is, by darkness, weeping, and gnashing of teeth (Matt. 8:12; 22:13), unquenchable fire (Matt. 3:12; Mark 9:43; Isa. 66:24), an undying worm gnawing at the heart (Isa. 66:24). By such expressions the Holy Spirit certainly intended to confound all our senses with dread: as when he speaks of ‘a deep Gehenna prepared from eternity, fed with fire and much wood; the breath of the Lord, like a stream of brimstone, kindles it’ (Isa. 30:33). As by such details we should be enabled in some degree to conceive the lot of the wicked, so we ought especially to fix our thoughts upon this: how wretched it is to be cut off from all fellowship with God. And not that only but to feel his sovereign power against you that you cannot escape being pressed by it. For first, his displeasure is like a raging fire, devouring and engulfing everything it touches. Secondly, all creatures so serve him in the execution of his judgment that they to whom the Lord will openly show his wrath will feel heaven, earth, sea, living beings, and all that exists aflame, as it were, with dire anger against them, and armed to destroy them. Accordingly, it was no insignificant thing that the apostle declared when he said that the faithless ‘shall suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, excluded from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might’ (II Thes. 1:9)...Consequently, unhappy consciences find no rest from being troubled and tossed by a terrible whirlwind, from feeling that they are being torn asunder by a hostile Deity, pierced and lanced by deadly darts, quaking at God’s lightning bolt, and being crushed by the weight of his hand—so that it would be more bearable to go down into any bottomless depths and chasms than to stand for a moment in these terrors."

John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion. Found in The Library of Christian Classics (Westminster: Philadelphia), Volume XIX, Book III.XXV.12, pp. 1007-8

Peace,

Joe

Paul

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »

I see. Thanks.

Brian

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 06:27:24 PM »

PS What does ....and be sage mean?? 

Heidi,

sage
–noun
1. a profoundly wise person; a person famed for wisdom.
2. someone venerated for the possession of wisdom, judgment, and experience.
–adjective
3. wise, judicious, or prudent: sage advice.
[Origin: 1250–1300; ME (n. and adj.) < OF < LL sapidus wise, tasteful (L: tasty), equiv. to sap(ere) to know, be wise, orig. to taste (see sapient) + -idus -id4]

—Related forms
sagely, adverb
sageness, noun

—Synonyms 1. philosopher. 3. sagacious.
—Antonyms 1. fool.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 16 queries.