bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AA/Alanon  (Read 6392 times)

EKnight

AA/Alanon
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »

Do you think AA/Alanon is babylonian?

I went to an Al anon meeting last night and like AA, it is centered around giving up your will and succumbing to the will of God (or higher power).  And last nights topic was about the "higher power" and most people that spoke understood that God has all the power over everyone.  You all know who my "higher power" is so does it really matter that I am meeting with people whose "higher power" may not be the same as mine?  I feel strong enough in my faith that no one could persuade me otherwise.  But I need the support of these people to deal with this particular problem. 

What do you think

Eileen

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: AA/Alanon
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »

I think this, whie also being prepared to be proven wrong:

"For it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." 

That's what this walk is to me.  A growing 'seeing Him like He is' that will only be culminated in the resurrection. 

In the meantime, you, nor I, nor Ray 'see' God the same way and with the same fulness.  In a sense we are all unwitting 'idolators' because we cannot know in full now, so whatever we 'see' of God is at best lacking.

He will introduce Himself in all His aspects when the time is right.  To me, that's what He is doing in AA/Alanon and it's participants--using their common and specific problem to draw them into a greater knowledge and dependecny on Him--even if they don't understand the HIM any better than anybody else. 

I kind of wish I could go, as I believe that they could teach me a thing or three about depending on God.  And since they don't 'preach' any other message related to our walk with Him--at least not formally--I don't believe I would be in danger of being led back to bondage.

The organizations themselves are just that--organizations.  And made up of individuals who have their own faults and strengths.  It can't replace your personal walk with God, but it may be good to be with other flesh struggling. 

That's what I think...but I am nobody's guide to Godly living.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

EKnight

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:36:33 PM »

Actually Dave, I read all of your posts and you seem to have a great deal more wisdom than you give yourself credit for.  And you are articulate as well.  I am always moved by your thoughts, perhaps because I usually agree with them.  So once again, thank you. :)

Eileen

KristaD

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

I don't think they are babylon. I went to many NA (narcotics anon) meetings and preaching false things about God was never what was done. They respected any beliefs and welcomed anyone who needed help. They are a blessing to many and I totally agree with Dave. Use it if you need it, God set those places up for a reason and I don't believe it was to deceive people.

EKnight

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:39:36 PM »

Thanks Krista, this is good to know because I really want to go again.  I felt very welcomed there and I need to hear how other people handle/handled their situations.

Eileen

winner08

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 01:58:37 AM »

Eileen, I've had spent some time with AA and NA,many yrs ago. As far as I can remember all the did was tell me I need a higher power, whatever that may be. They did not force anything on me. They did guide me when I asked. Anyways Do what you have to do in order to take care of yourself. It all start with you. If your not well then How can you help others. I think your doing what is right for you. You wont have any problems as far as your faith goes. I can see we all can see your strong in your faith. If you need these people in your life to help you with your situation that's fine. God has put in that place with those people because that is where you need to be at this time and place in your life. Keep coming back. It works.

Darren

Robin

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »

I run a large recovery forum and God has used many things from al-anon to help me with my son's alcoholism. There are almost 2 million posts on the forum and not once have I ever seen anyone express a belief in the truth as we believe here.

The 12 step programs have tried to be all inclusive so they encourage members to define their own higher power. God is the God of their own understanding or their own making in many cases. It is a "spiritual" program and open to anything. I would have to say that it is Babylonian, but there is a lot of practical advice that is helpful if you don't get into the "spiritual" aspect of it. I also found it very hard to walk alone and was actually at the point of feeling suicidal when I went looking for help. I was exhausted from trying to "save" my son and from so many years of totally ignoring my own needs. I was living in a false hope and not living in the day that God gave me. I woke up and realized I was emotionally bankrupt and realized that God really is the God of today and my future is in his hands. As Ray says I learned to thank God for the simple things. My bed, the food I ate for the day, a roof over my head, etc..

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Learning to set boundaries is good. Becoming aware of how addiction works and how powerless we are to cure it or change another person. Accepting things as they are and really knowing that God is in charge. Learning that we can't be God in someone else's life. It is very difficult to live watching someone you love close to death so many times. It's hard to pray that God's will be done and accept that they just might die. I can relate to being in the "prison" that Ray speaks of. As much as I've cried for a way out there was no way out. It is all in God's plan and he has used these circumstances to grind away at my carnal mind. I think in some way, shape, or form we will all be put in that prison at some point in our walk.

EKnight

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »

MG-I think you and I are on the same page.  The reason I went was because I felt powerless and didn't know how to handle the situation at hand and wanted to hear what others were doing. 

I too believe that this trial is God's way of drawing me close to Him.  Like I have said before, had it not been for this situation, I would not be here at BT.  For that I am grateful. 

You are 100% correct when you say it is hard to watch someone you love destroy themselves.  After a visit with our son while he was in a rehab facility, I came home and cried and cried saying, "he is going to die and there is nothing I can do."  And I believed that to be the case and was mentally preparing myself for that.  However, he has improved but I am unsure of its permanency. 

Can you PM me with the recovery forum?

Eileen

David

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »

I used to drink heavlily, it was a problem to my health, my relationships with my family and freinds etc. I tried every program going to give it up. By Gods grace I became a Christian. My drinking problem was one of the things I initially prayed most about. Almost overnight I stopped drinking completely. That was 3 years ago. I wouldn't even say its something I struggle to stay away from, its no longer an issue in my life. Its gone. I give thanks to God for it.
Thats the only expereince I can share, none of the organised programs did anything for me. God did.

LittleBear

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:20:56 AM »

Hi Eileen,

I've been attending Nar Anon for a while now, and find I get a lot of wonderful information and support that I need. The people are non-judgemental and have a lot of great coping strategies. I will continue to attend for my own recovery.

Ursula

MSenter

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »

Hello everyone, I havent posted for a while but this one caught my eye. I found an interesting site, just type in "orange papers" on your search engine, some interesting info Mark
Do you think AA/Alanon is babylonian?

I went to an Al anon meeting last night and like AA, it is centered around giving up your will and succumbing to the will of God (or higher power).  And last nights topic was about the "higher power" and most people that spoke understood that God has all the power over everyone.  You all know who my "higher power" is so does it really matter that I am meeting with people whose "higher power" may not be the same as mine?  I feel strong enough in my faith that no one could persuade me otherwise.  But I need the support of these people to deal with this particular problem. 

What do you think

Eileen

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.