bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paul's lesson & example?  (Read 4536 times)

hillsbororiver

Paul's lesson & example?
« on: May 16, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »

One thing (of many) that really hit me was when it was shown that the apostles were not converted during Jesus' time in the flesh, that the conversion came after His resurrection & ascension and His Spirit was given at Pentecost.

Paul was arguably given the most understanding of all and he was the one who did not partake or have any part in the Lord's earthly ministry, he actually was the most despicable unconverted one. What is the lesson here? Was this the earliest example of the power of His converting Spirit? As a type for the elect? That those who came after would eventually have a deeper understanding and a higher calling?

Thought I would throw this out for any thoughts or comments.

Joe

ertsky

Paul's lesson & example?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:07:43 PM »

well it sure is great to sit here and think about Pauls conversion Joe

and your point about the apostles conversion

it all gets me thinking about my life now

SteveB was saying earlier how He had learnt more in the last 9 months than in the 27 years previous

i totally related to that, i feel like i've grown more in the last year than in the 20 years previous

spiritual conversion? whatever it is i dont want it to stop :)

also your post reminded me of

2Co 5:15  and He died for all, that the living ones may live no more to themselves, but to the One having died for them and having been raised.
2Co 5:16  So as we now know no one according to flesh, but even if we have known Christ according to flesh, yet now we no longer know Him so.
2Co 5:17  So that if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new!

f

PS: this came to my remembrance

Luk 24:49  And, behold, I send forth the promise of My Father on you. But you sit in the city of Jerusalem until you are clothed with power from on high.

then it's come out of her my people time?

Sorin

Re: Paul's lesson & example?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 07:21:21 PM »

Quote from: hillsbororiver
One thing (of many) that really hit me was when it was shown that the apostles were not converted during Jesus' time in the flesh, that the conversion came after His resurrection & ascension and His Spirit was given at Pentecost.

Paul was arguably given the most understanding of all and he was the one who did not partake or have any part in the Lord's earthly ministry, he actually was the most despicable unconverted one. What is the lesson here? Was this the earliest example of the power of His converting Spirit? As a type for the elect? That those who came after would eventually have a deeper understanding and a higher calling?

Thought I would throw this out for any thoughts or comments.

Joe

Joe,

Out of all the Apostles, I relate to Paul the most. For I too am guilty of many "despicable" things. If I weren't blunt about it then I'd be a liar in God's eyes. In fact if it weren't for God's soveriegnty, and my lack of "free will" then there's no way in Hell that I would bow to Jesus. I would have much rather blasphemed His name. Just like Paul killed those that were disciples of Christ, I too at one point was an "anti-christ". I guess the lesson here is, so much for "free will" and when God forgives ones sins, He really does not care what you used to be like, and what you used to do. Forgive them Father for they know not what they do, right?

Just thought I should share that with everyone here at BT,
Sorin

Andy_MI

Paul's lesson & example?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 08:27:20 PM »

Paul is indeed our example and pattern to follow.

1Ti 1:15  This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
1Ti 1:16  Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

My studies have been in the letters of Paul lately. Romans chapter 9 is a lot easier to understand now that I see universal reconcilation.

It amazes me back before I had my eyes opened, I asked a pastor in a church I was attending about Rom 9 and he just avoided it.

Love in Christ,

Andy

chrissiela

Paul's lesson & example?
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 09:24:22 PM »

Joh 20:24  But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

Joh 20:25  The other disciples therefore said unto him,
We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

Joh 20:26  And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

Joh 20:27  Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

Joh 20:28  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Joh 20:29  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.[/list:u]

Chrissie

lilitalienboi16

Paul's lesson & example?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:52:02 PM »

Well i can relate to paul as any human sinner could, but im only 17 and not old in Age so i can't relate to knowing Christ at an old age, but i hope im destined for great things just like everyone else, God willing i take heed lest i fall ;)

Anyway i think its definatly a struggle knowing what you have been given, and the high standard that is set before you - and trying to attain that high standard. There so many things my friends do, and that i am always surrounded by that is in no way something an elect or a chosen should be doing or even a called, and yet i struggle to remain seperate in such situations, but i am faithful and believe that Whatever the Lord has willed with me He will accomplish, i just pray that this unparralleled wisdom God has shown me through all of you from the least to greatest does not go to waste and that i can reach the high mark.

I see however what you are saying that we who were nto with Jesus during His ministry could be very much like paul in that sence.

SteveB

Paul's lesson & example?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 12:50:55 AM »

I love Paul so much. You know Pauls conversion today would be comparable to Osama Bin Laden. Would the 'christians' of today forgive Osama? You know the answer to that.

I know my heart has been changed because i used to think in my mind of the ways i'd like to kill Bin Laden. Wicked thoughts of everykind against him. But now i love him:) IF you didnt know me before, this could ONLY HAVE BEEN JESUS CHRIST IN ME. It wasnt possible for me to do that.

And just like my wickedness and Pauls God turns it to good. The evil 'mystery' used to perplex me so bad. Now its clear as crystal.

This verse says it all for me.

[color=red]Luk 7:47  Wherefore5484, 3739 I say3004 unto thee,5213 Her846 sins,266 which are many,4183 are forgiven;863 for3754 she loved25 much:4183 but1161 to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. [/color]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.