bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first verse that stuck with you besides the usual ones  (Read 7301 times)

AK4

first verse that stuck with you besides the usual ones
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:48:36 PM »

[hi everyone I'm a new member, but i have been reading Rays teachings from our Lord since late February and have read almost everything at least twice including all the emails. 
 But anyway i am studying his paper right now on foundational truths and it just sparked me when Ray mentioned the first verse he memorized and i got to thinking about the one that stuck out to me.
(although now that my eyes have been opened more, alot more scriptures stick out too).
Well my scripture that stuck out to me is Isa 46:10--- Declaring the END from the BEGINNING.... 
When i first read that verse it was like WOW, now that is all powerful--declaring the end from the beginning.  At that time i didn't know His will, but now that i know that His will is the salvation of all and the way He is going to carry out his will, this verse (and so many others, of course) just further solidifies Gods sovereignty.
Anyway Hi everyone i just thought this may be a interesting subject and I'm curious what is everyone elses first verse, besides the usual i.e John 3:16 etc....

EKnight

Re: first verse that stuck with you besides the usual ones
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »

You read everything twice?  Yikes.  When I first started, I was up till all hours of the morning reading and I am not sure I read it all.  Perhaps that is why I am always asking too many questions.  I guess I ought to take a break from the forum and just read it all again.

Anyway, I have found that there are so many scriptures that seem so rock solid and I can't even find a way to twist it to mean something else if I wanted to.  I like when Ray says things like do they even read this stuff?  I've never even read the bible so most of these scriptures are new to me but when it's clear, it's clear.

Welcome to the forum.  I just love coming here which is why its so difficult for me to just stick with reading Ray's papers.

Eileen

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:56 PM »

Hi AK4,

Welcome to the forum!

I do not recall the first scripture I memorized, however, a scripture I meditate on often is Romans 8:18:

"For I consider the sufferings of the present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us."

This scripture encourages me to endure whatever trials and tribulations that come my way, and to focus on spiritual matters whenever I am in pain.

René

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:47:31 PM »

Romans 8:28  And we know that he works all things together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.  29  For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

I heard a lot of sermons on vs. 28 growing up, but NEVER one on vs 29. 

First time I read the New Testament, I started underlining verses that jumped out at me as being 'new' or especially meaningful.  By the time I got to Romans, I was underlining everything!

But it was this one that got me to thinking most, and led in the most roundabout way possible to here.

Now, even old standards like John 3:16 sing with new meaning. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:03:35 PM »

Hi AK4,

Luke 22:50
Then one of them struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear.But Jesus said, "No more of this!" So he touched the wounded man's ear and healed him.

I think that the thing that struck me the most, is Jesus healing the ear of one of those who came to arrest him.

Welcome....looking forward to getting to know you better!
Brenda

Robin

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:34 PM »

This was the first verse when God started calling me out of the church.

Psalm 46:10
Cease striving and know that I am God

AK4

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »

thanks everyone.  yeah after coming to more truths too Romans 7 & 8 are stick out real good too.  i think one of the best things that the Lord revealed to me through Rays teachings and is one of my favorite verses is what Ray put at the end of his paper in the installment 14 of the LOF series:

LET ME KNOW

Are you beginning to SEE IT? Is God giving you understanding? Do you see the grand and marvelous wisdom of it all? Drop me an email—let me know. I want to know how many out there in computerland are beginning to have ears to hear and eyes to see.

THANK GOD, that I (L. Ray Smith) had fallen away, left my first love, looked back, forsook the Lord, and watched my house upon the sand come crashing down! Only then was I able to stand upon the sand of the sea, and see the beast within, the man of sin, the son of perdition, and Satan the devil who DECEIVED ME!

But NOW, "I am crucified WITH Christ: nevertheless I live: yet not I, but Christ lives IN ME: and the life which I now life in the flesh I live by the faith OF the Son of God, who loved ME [and YOU], and gave Himself for ME [and YOU]" (Gal. 2:20).

In conclusion:

"I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard BEHIND me a great voice, as of a trumpet… And I turned to see the voice that spoke with ME. And being TURNED, I saw seven gold candlesticks; [the complete church of God in all generations, with MY sins outlined in each and every one of them] And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

His head and His hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and His eyes were as a flame of fire; [PURGING all who look upon Him] And His feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned [refined] in a furnace; and His voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in His right hand seven stars: and out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was as the SUN SHINING IN HIS STRENGTH [no longer a physical body with HOLES in it].

And when I saw Him [in my SPIRIT] I fell at His feet as DEAD. And He laid His right hand upon ME [as He will upon YOU], saying unto ME [and unto YOU],

FEAR NOT" (Rev. 1:10-17).

i couldn't tell you how many times i've read just that part of his paper and how that last part just gives me goose bumps everytime i read it.  Those verses used there are one of my favorites too!

thanks again,  its SOOOOO NICE to be able to talk to others that are in like mind.
It was starting to get real lonely out here (on earth, but i live in cincinnati, oh) because i cant find anyonel else that believe the scriptures as we believe.

One last thing.... whats the best way to use e-sword to help me memorize scripture.  I mean i know some but not word for word and exactly which scripture it is i.e. 1 Tim 2:4 God will save all men.
I think God just showed me the way.  The same way i love Isa 46:10 i need to love every line of scripture the same way.  You guys helped me without doing anything except for responding to my post.  Praise Jesus and thank you all.

gmik

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 12:02:08 AM »

Just read this post.  Loved all the scripture.

I am like EKnight,  Wow, I have read everything but not twice.  Thats why I love everyone putting excerpts from Ray's papers on threads.  Like a mini sermon.

A belated welcome AK4! :D

winner08

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:43:38 PM »

Hi everybody: The first scripture I ever remembered  is very short and every time I get into a jam or something bad happens (which is often) help me through. And this too shall Pass. No matter what the  problem is I know it will pass. Maby in the way I would like it to, but I know it will pass.

Thanks

Darren

Roy Monis

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »

Hi!Brothers and Sisters

Do you really want to know the two very first Scriptures that truly impressed me and stuck firmly in my mind. As Ray would say; "I'm glad you asked!" Here they are anyway: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding." (Pro.3:5). And a double helping of: "There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death." (Pro.14:12 & 16:25).

God bless you brothers and sisters in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

frecklegirl417

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 11:42:48 AM »

To all my brothers and sisters,

The  first verse that sticks in my mind besides the normal ones would have to be Mathew 7:1-5. I like this to and I know it is not a bible verse but it helps me out everyday:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change
                  Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know
                                 the difference.
                   Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time
                   Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
                   Taking as  He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
                   Trusting that he will make all things right if I SURRENDER to HIS will
                   That I maybe reasonably happy in this life.

This is only my opinion, so if it offends someone I am sorry it was not my intent.

Phil3:10

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »

All,
Romans 8:28 was my first verse with real meaning. As Dave from TN said verse 29 is so important for real understanding of verse 28. My favorite is stil Phiippians 3:10. "That I may know HIM, and the power of HIS resurrection, and the fellowship of HIS suffering, being made conformable to HIS death". It is just HIM, JESUS, THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD,and THE SAVIOR OF ALL THE WORLD.
Phil3:10

joyful1

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »

1 Timothy 4:10
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

That one just STUCK from day one!
Joyce :)

Samson

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »

Hello Everyone,

All good Scriptures, there are two that stick out in my mind, that caught my eye early on in life.

1st Scriptures: Romans. 12:17-21- " Return Evil for Evil to no one, provide fine things in the sight of all men. If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men. Do not avenge yourselves beloved, but yield place to the wrath, for it is written : Vengeance is mine; I will repay, says the Lord. But if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals upon his head. Do not let yourself be conquered by the Evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good. "

It is so obvious to me in regards to the above passage that all of us would require God's Holy Spirit to fully apply the above, at all times. On our own, an impossible task.

2ND Scripture: Matthew. 11:28-30- " Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for your souls. For my yoke is kindly and my load is light. "

This passage really hits the heart, Jesus doesn't beat up those of mankind who are already being beaten up by the Religious Leaders, Politicians, the Rich and Powerfull of this World, but provides refreshment for our souls and is kindly towards us.

Your Brother, Samson.

joyful1

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »

:D Amen, Samson.....amen!
I sooo needed to see that scripture today! thank you brother!
Joyce :)

Mike T

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 01:41:43 AM »

"I am not of this world."

;D

Thank you Jesus. 

Brian

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 01:59:52 AM »

This is not the very first verse that I learned. This is the first verse that comes to mind when people start preaching "salvation" at me. When they quote John 3:16. It is really a shame that most of the "church" doesn't even know this verse exist. Hence, they really have no clue what "eternal life" is.

And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
(John 17:3)

Wow! What a beautiful verse this is! It plainly tells us what "eternal life" REALLY is.

:) :) :)

Stevernator

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 03:26:38 AM »

Hi everyone.
I particularly love Paul's letter to the Phillippians, but I would like to share a verse. I was recently in my car listening to a Christian station and the preacher brought up a verse that a lady was touched by. I disagree with most orthodox church teachings but I listen to them on the radio once in a while anyway because I can learn a thing or two.
Here it is:
Luke 12:37
37`Happy those servants, whom the lord, having come, shall find watching; verily I say to you, that he will gird himself, and will cause them to recline (at meat), and having come near, will minister to them;

I think it is pretty incredible to think of this. I suppose it is also related to the time when Jesus washed his disciples' feet. I also wish to share this:
 43Happy that servant, whom his lord, having come, shall find doing so;

44truly I say to you, that over all his goods he will set him.

I have been thinking of this a lot lately. For instance the disciple John was particularly close to Lord Jesus. He travelled with Jesus and preached the gospel. When Jesus was on the cross, He gave John the responsibility of caring for His earthly mother Mary. Later, John ministered to the flock and wrote letters included in scripture. And finally, we know that John (well there is some debate as to whether it was John the apostle but I believe it was) was given the responsibility of transcribing Revealations.

NJKen

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »

Thank you Rene for quoting Romans 8:18-- I needed that!!!!!!

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.