bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Esword  (Read 5905 times)

Amrhrasach

Esword
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:06:13 PM »

Wow! 

Didn't know about this site.

For those who use e-sword, which downloads would you recommend as "essential", or would you recommend everything?

Thanks.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Esword
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:09:07 PM »

Bare minimum:  The KJV concordance in the 'dictionary' section.  This makes it much easier to do the kind of word studies that Ray leads. 

A tremendous tool.  Glad you found it. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Amrhrasach

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »

Thank you Dave!

Kat

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »

Hi Amrhrasach,

I love E-Sword, I use it all the time.
I think it is nice to have a few Bibles for comparison.  I mostly use King James (get this with the concordance for the word numbers and maybe the red letter to have to copy and paste from without the numbers), Revised Standard Version, English Standard Version and Young's Literal Translation (Ray referrs to this sometimes).  I also have Rotherham and Concordant, but they are not available at that site.

I like to go to the commentaries because they can provide some good info. about history or the customs of the times and they have done a lot of research in sources I don't know about.  I use John Gill's Exposition, Matthew Henry's Commentary, Adam Clarke's Commentary and Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible. 

The dictionaries I find useful are International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Nave's Topical Bible, and King James Concordance which gives you all the Scriptures for any Greek or Hebrew word. 

I have more of these, but these are the ones I use most.  Just keep in mind that of course they won't help with any interpreting of Scriptures to gain spiritual knowledge.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

OBrenda

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:23:25 PM »

Thanks Amrhrasach & Kat,

I also downloaded your recommendations.  Hope to pick up on how to use it! :-\ :)

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:53:23 PM »

Brian

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »

I recommend all of the free things that you will use and buy only what you need. I have all of the free things and some have proven to be most insightful (in the traditional sense). Some I have since discarded. So take a look at what is offered and download what you will use. It is a great place to make notes and work through the logistics of what is being learned. Keep in mind that it can not take the place of a thinking individual.
Have a happy and be sage.
Brian

David

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »

I have just the KJV download with the concordance etc. Its a great tool, great for word search etc.
Just click the bible tag, click the search in the drop down, then a box opens up. You can enter any word and it will give you every single entry throughout the Bible, or you can narrow it down to OT, NT, books, chapters etc. Click on the strongs number and you get the full strongs definition.
I've never figured out yet how you download other Bibles to add to it.
Also try Bible Gateway. Its a similar online tool with dozens of great features, most English Bibles etc.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »

David, all you have to do is download the resource (bible, dictionary, whatever) and click the file to start the installation.  It attaches itself automatically to the base application and should show up next time you open E-Sword.

That is true of every resource I've downloaded directly from E-Sword.  If there are other resources that can alos be used in the application, I am not aware of them or how to get use of them.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Brian

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »

I think one can purchase other resources from

http://estudysource.com/platform/site/homepage/index.aspx

Remember that the resources on this site cost money

Have a happy and be sage
Brian

PS Thanks Craig for the heads up on the Rotherham in stock notice. I really appreciate it.

Sozo

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 10:50:59 AM »

Another great resource is the Pocket E-sword.  You download it to your phone (if you have pda style) and it's like carrying a complete bible and concordance with you in the palm of your hand.  HeHe...that sounds like a sales pitch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.