bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michelangelo's Moses  (Read 6112 times)

WhoAmI

Michelangelo's Moses
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:20:30 AM »

The horns protruding from the head of the famous statue of Moses by Michelangelo were a mistake! It is true that the Bible describes Moses as having horns coming from his head. This, however was an error on the part of the translators. In Hebrew the words for "horn" and "ray of light" are spelled identically. The translators misinterpreted "ray" for "horn" and thus Moses is often portrayed in western art as looking like a devil.

2201 Fascinating Facts

hillsbororiver

Re: Michelangelo's Moses
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:35:36 AM »

That is a very interesting piece of history, here are the verses that Jerome mistranslated, it is quite apparent what the true translation is;

Exo 34:29  And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses knew not that the skin of his face shone7160 while he talked with him.

Exo 34:30  And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone;7160 and they were afraid to come nigh him.

Exo 34:31  And Moses called unto them; and Aaron and all the rulers of the congregation returned unto him: and Moses talked with them.

Exo 34:32  And afterward all the children of Israel came nigh: and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai.

Exo 34:33  And till Moses had done speaking with them, he put a veil on his face.

Exo 34:34  But when Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he took the veil off until he came out. And he came out and spoke unto the children of Israel that which he was commanded.

Exo 34:35  And the children of Israel saw the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone7160: and Moses put the veil upon his face again, until he went in to speak with him.

H7160
קרן
qâran
kaw-ran'
A primitive root; to push or gore; used only as denominative from H7161, to shoot out horns; figuratively rays: - have horns, shine.

This event foreshadowed another one even more significant;

Luk 9:28  And it came to pass about eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James and went up into a mountain to pray.

Luk 9:29  And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered and his raiment was white and glistering.

Luk 9:30  And behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elijah:

Luk 9:31  Who appeared in glory and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

And this foreshadows an even greater event!

Peace,

Joe

OBrenda

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:40:31 AM »

Really Cool!
Never even heard about the horns before.

Thanks,
Brenda

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:48 PM »

Hello Joe & folks,

There is a ten foot bronze statue of Moses on the North side of the Library at the U. of Notre Dame.
The statue has the afore mentioned horns and has Moses pointing to the sky with his right arm.

I think it was placed there by a benefactor in 1963 when the new library was built.

Father Hessburg, former president of N.D. lives on the 13th or top floor of the library.
One would think that the church fathers would know the history and true facts.  Oh well.

bob

KristaD

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:56:03 PM »

Interesting. I had never heard of it before so of course I had to find a pic ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Moses_San_Pietro_in_Vincoli.jpg
ETA: Looking at it I'd have to say there is not just one discrepancy...wasn't Moses pretty old at that time? I can't imagine an old man that looked after sheep would have such well defined muscles :o lol.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:58:12 PM by KristaD »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »

Hello Joe & folks,

There is a ten foot bronze statue of Moses on the North side of the Library at the U. of Notre Dame.
The statue has the afore mentioned horns and has Moses pointing to the sky with his right arm.

I think it was placed there by a benefactor in 1963 when the new library was built.

Father Hessburg, former president of N.D. lives on the 13th or top floor of the library.
One would think that the church fathers would know the history and true facts.  Oh well.

bob

Yes Bob,

But how many administrators would turn down a free 10' bronze statue to dress up the courtyard over something as trivial historical/biblical truth?  ;)

Besides you don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and alienate benefactors or you don't stay president of the University very long!

With that being said I bet your time at Notre Dame was an experience you look back at fondly.

Peace,

Joe

musicman

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:21:49 PM »

Hello Joe & folks,

bob

And with all the TV revenue and exposure they receive, I can't believe that they would be fielding such a sorry football team.  Makes me laugh though.

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 03:43:39 PM »

Musicman,

I somewhat agree with the comment on the lackluster football team, but there are some justifications for the poor record.
First they hired a black football coach as a second thought after the original hire had some ethical difficulties that didn't come to light until the week after he was hired.  Next they didn't give the new coach Willingham, enough time to recruit any good players and let him go after only two years and bought out his contract. Seems the Alums didn't like the loss record either.  Then they hired Charlie Weiss from a major league team offense coordinator position and Charlie brought in his own assistant coaches with their professional approach to training.  All of the above piled on top of Notre Dame's supposed rule of thumb that players have to maintain passing grades and are expected to graduate.

How can we expect a player to be motivated if he can't have girls in his room and has to study?

Bob

musicman

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »

Aaaahhhhh, but isn't their love of thier catholic faith enough to keep them motivated to their studies and gridiron?  They don't believe in having girls in their rooms, do they? 

Say hi to their touchdown jesus statue for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.