bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temple Tax  (Read 4160 times)

Bob Miller

Temple Tax
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:34:49 PM »

I understand under the Law, the Israelites of 22 years old and up had to pay a Temple tax. Does anyone have anymore details on this?

Thanks in advance!

lilitalienboi16

Temple Tax
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 03:31:39 AM »

Why does that law matter? All is fullfilled in Christ :D

The reason i say this is because im not sure what else you want to know about it....

Is it about tithing? May i suggest reading rays article on tithing? That might help answer some questions... even though i dont know exactly what else there is about this law lol.

Noob out! :D

Alex

Bob Miller

Temple Tax
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 01:24:59 PM »

Quote from: lilitalienboi16
Why does that law matter? All is fullfilled in Christ :D

The reason i say this is because im not sure what else you want to know about it....

Is it about tithing? May i suggest reading rays article on tithing? That might help answer some questions... even though i dont know exactly what else there is about this law lol.

Noob out! :D

Alex

No! It really does not matter! But I would like to know, and if anyone can give me some answers it would be greatly appreciated :D

jennifer

Taxation and Temple Taxes
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:46:10 PM »

Taxation for the support of the state first appeared among the Israelites during the reign of Solomon.  Before this, Saul and David had supported their government chiefly from the tribute of subject nations and from booty gained in battle. (2 Sam. 8:2-10, 12:30)  The expenses of his rich court and his many building enterprises induced Solomon to tax his own people.  Accordingly, he divided the nation into twelve districts, each responsible for the maintenance of the royal household during one month of the year (1 Kings 4:7, 5:7,8).  These levies became so oppressive that they contributed to the split in the monarchy (1 Kings 12:4).  The Israelites fared no better under the later kings, especially when there was no income from foreign trade or subject nations.  Special taxes were usually imposed in times of emergency , particularly when foreign conquerors demanded tribute (2 Kings 23:35)(Ezra 4:13).  After the exile, the Jews were almost constantly under the rule of foreign powers and had to pay heavy tribute to their masters.  In addition, THEY WERE REQUIRED TO SUPPORT THEIR OWN INSTITUTIONS SUCH AS THE TEMPLE, THE AMOUNT LEVIED FOR THIS PURPOSE BEING HALF A SHEKEL FOR EACH JEW OVER TWENTY.  In Nehemiah's time this burden had impoverished many, forcing them to mortgage their property or sell their children into slavery (Neh. 5:1-5).  Under the Greek kings of Egypt and Syria the right to collect taxes was sold to individuals. Any profits made on their collections were their own.  This practice led to terrible abuses. (Mk. 12:41-44)  
jennifer

Bob Miller

Temple Tax
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 11:47:32 PM »

Thanks Jennifer :D  Very thorough!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 16 queries.