bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to search Bible Truths by Bible verse  (Read 5588 times)

Paul

How to search Bible Truths by Bible verse
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »

This is via Google.

This is an example of the query (what you type into Google):

"mat. 25:46" OR "matthew 25:46" site:bible-truths.com

As you can see, you type the verse and put it in quotes. Quotes tell Google not to seperate what you type inside them. It's the difference between searching for Matthew 25:46 and searching for the name Matthew, the number 25, and the number 46. OR tells Google to search for an alternate query. This is done because, as we all know, Bible verses can be abbreviated or unabbreviated. site: tells Google to search a specific website, as opposed to the entire internet (you can have Google search as many individual sites as you want; just keep putting site:website.com's) You must use the version of the Bible Truths URL that has the dash (bible-truths) because this is the official URL.

After you've clicked a result, you'll obviously need to find the verse on the page. Don't worry, you don't need to scroll and find it; your browser has a feature that lets you search for text on a page (this also applies to Word and PDF documents): Edit > Find...

You may find that you may just want to search for a chapter at times. You shouldn't always be too specific when searching. "mat 25" OR "matthew 25" site:bible-truths.com

--

You can also exclude specific sites, or sections of a website, with the site: feature. To do this, put a minus sign in front of site:

-site:

Here's an example of telling Google to only give results for the main website, and to exclude the forums:

eon site:bible-truths.com -site:forums.bible-truths.com

FYI: The punctuation for the verses (the colon between the chapter and the verse number, and the period in the abbreviated version of the verse) is technically unnecessary, as Google doesn't register it. You can technically type it in like this: "mat 25 46" OR "matthew 25 46" site:bible-truths.com

http://www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:22:17 PM by Paul »

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: How to search Bible Truths by Bible verse
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »

Paul,

I've been using Google for about five years and struggled with search.
Thanks for the expert illustrations, very helpful for me.
Indianabob ::)

Paul

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »

Glad I was of help to you!

Brian

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »

Oh! I learned a new trick!  ;D
Thanks much, very useful. Now I can quit reading hundreds of web pages for the information that I'm searching for.

gmik

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »

Thank you so much.  I know Kat has the directions some where, but this was very concise!

Heidi

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 05:53:26 AM »

Thanks heaps Paul  ;D

Paul

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »

Your welcome, guys!

Have these tips come in handy, so far?  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:21:45 PM by Paul »

joyful1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:29:21 PM »

:D nice short cut, Paul! I like that!I have a "google page" where I  put a special search engine in just for bible-truths.com. Helps me get a jumpstart on the day! I like the little modules that you can add to your page there...I have one for Bible memorization that slowly takes away more words each day...but you can click on it and get them back if you forget the words. (*very good for me! ) There are many other "gadgets" as they call them...all on a designed page that you pick out...I like the BEACH scene myself!

I like taking what the world has thrown out there and turning into something useful!

Joyce :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.