bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God is no respecter of people?  (Read 8981 times)

winner08

God is no respecter of people?
« on: August 06, 2008, 02:21:06 AM »

What is meant by God is no respecter of people? I tried looking up the word respecters but I could not find it.

Darren

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: God is no respecter of people?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:23:27 AM »

G4381
προσωπολήπτης
prosōpolēptēs
pros-o-pol-ape'-tace
From G4383 and G2983; an accepter of a face (individual), that is, (specifically) one exhibiting partiality: - respecter of persons.

G4382
προσωποληψία
prosōpolēpsia
pros-o-pol-ape-see'-ah

From G4381; partiality, that is, favoritism: - respect of persons.

Two related words used in the NT Greek.

It should read God is no repspecter of PERSONS, rather than PEOPLE. 

It doesn't mean that God has no respect for people.  It means He shows no favoritism based on a person's 'face'. God may not have respect for people, but that's not what THIS word means. 

Ray talks quite a bit about this as it seems to contradict many passages where God does seem to show favoritism.  Somebody else will have to direct you there.

On a side note, I'm wondering if the FACE in the literal translation relates at all to the concept of 'FACE' in Eastern cultures.   

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:29:29 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Roy Monis

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »

What is meant by God is no respecter of people? I tried looking up the word respecters but I could not find it.

Darren

Hi! Darren

To me it means that it makes no difference to Him (God) whether your the king of England or a down and out in the slums of India, you will be treated the same. So if we show more respect for the rich and famous and ignore or treat the lowly with less respect we are committing sin. "But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors."  (Jas.2:9).  "Not a respecter of persons," means that God is impartial, He treats everyone the same. Everyone receives the same judgment for the same sin regardless of status; no backhanders there, get the drift?

A very rare sight, if at all, here on earth, don't you think?

I hope this helps.

God bless you brother in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

winner08

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »

God is not a respecter of people. Meaning that God show no favoritism. What about the elect these are special people to God ,is it not? Are not the Jews the chosen people? am I just not understanding this correctly?

Darren

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »

I think Roy explained it pretty well.  Obviously God DOES choose some people or groups of people over others for His purpose.  And in his Sovereignty He makes some beautiful, some less-than-beautiful, some highly intelligent, some less so...etc. etc.  That doesn't mean He chooses them BECAUSE they are beautiful, intelligent, etc.   He made them according to His purpose in the first place.

Niether the Elect or the Jews are special in any other way than that God chose them.  He didn't choose them because they are special.  He is no repecter of 'persons'.

I could go on, but I'll stop.  I wish I was more organized to point you to where Ray discusses this in depth, but I can't even remember whether it was in an article, and email, an audio or audio transcript.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »

God is not a respecter of people. Meaning that God show no favoritism. What about the elect these are special people to God ,is it not? Are not the Jews the chosen people? am I just not understanding this correctly?

Darren

Possibly & Again I say Possibly,...

God predestines his elect, scriptures indicate he clearly has favorites.  He after all created them to his pleasure.  He is the Potter.  As we are Clay.

Everyone (even the elect) was created by God on the Potters wheel to do his purpose and will.
If everything we are and do comes from God, and not of ourselves, what can we do to impress him.
This only makes sense to me if there is no free will!

Does that make any sense?

I just saw your Post Dave as I was typing this, I think my understanding is with yours and Roy's

winner08

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »

OK David you said God does not show favorits. That they only thing special about the elect or chosen is that God picks them. Not because they are special. I understand. Brenda you said you agree with David and Ray yet you say God clearly has His favorits. David does not believe that God has His favorits. I;m just seeing a difference here.

Darren.

PS, please no more on this subject on my account, I get it thanks.

Roy Monis

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »

Darren

Hi! Darren

If we accept that God knows everything from the very beginning to the very end, even to the number of hairs on any one person's head at any given moment in time, then He obviously knows from the very beginning those few who are going to persevere and overcome the trials of this world. That does not imply that He is being partial to some and not to others. If for example you work hard and earn £200.00 a week and your neighbour sits idle at home, should you not be rewarded in accord with your effort? And should your employer not keep a record of the good worker and the sluggard?  Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father’s name, these testify of Me. “But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. “My Father, who has given them to Me,  is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. “I and the Father are one.” (Jn.10:25-30).

Jesus knew from the very beginning those few chosen/elect that were going to answer His call and follow Him through thick or thin times. The parable of the Sower “The sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell beside the road, and it was trampled under foot and the birds of the air ate it up. “Other seed fell on rocky soil, and as soon as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture. “Other seed fell among the thorns; and the thorns grew up with it and choked it out. “Other seed fell into the good soil, and grew up, and produced a crop a hundred times as great.” As He said these things, He would call out, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”   (Luke 8:5-8). It cannot be said that He showed any partiality here, can it?

I hope this helps.

God bless you brother in our joint walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

winner08

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 12:33:30 AM »

Roy from the UK great post. I now understand thanks.

Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.