bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: james1:8  (Read 5813 times)

dave

james1:8
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:32:49 PM »

Just what is a two-souled man (James 1:8) and how does one combat
The deliema? Should one truly believe that having been “born again,” believing that the Lord touched them and they changed “their mind” and began to live according to His Word and Way, find
his/her self swayed back to the world, because of the doubleminded
(two-souled) way of thinking; how does this soul put up a fight? We know that The Father (Creator) is the cause, and He, is in control of ALL things, He knows  our dust and its boarders..He knows our frame. Is this two-souled (doublemined) vessel, for the totalness of this life, to be in a vicious vortex of “in and out….up and down,” with no way of rescue until the judgement? At peace for only part of
the time and the other part in hell? I cant explain the thoughts Ive
been given for the verse in James; this soul seems to either be extremely happy in the “Gospel,” of extremely lost in the prospects
that salvation in this situation has no chance.

David

Re: james1:8
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:43:26 AM »

The "two souled" or double mindedness that is mentioned is being contrasted by James between having faith and doubting. He's pointing out that without faith we should not suppose that God will give anything (I think the inclusion of the word suppose is significant).
I think one answer is Eph 2:8  For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
God will give that gift to who'm he chooses, and whoever He chooses He will harden against Him, this is all in Romans 9 and in Exodus 33.

David

AK4

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »

hi David,

Ray wrote beautifully something somewhere (i havent found it yet) that would help you with this.  I think your only looking at a fragment of the thought that James was saying. If you go up to versre 6 you will see

v6 ---But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

Now heres a little snipet of something i found where Ray was talking about "raging waves of the sea"...

THE LAKE OF FIRE - Part XII

GOD JUDGES THE WORLD IN A POND

WHENCE THE WORD LAKE?

Interesting word, this word "lake." The word lake in Rev. 19, 20, & 21 is "limen, which comes from Strong’s "[#3040--limen] (through the idea of nearness of shore); a POND (large or small) -- lake."

And the word limen means "a harbor—haven, the fair havens" (Strong’s Greek Dictionary, p. 151).

A pond? God judges the world in a pond? Yes, God judges every unrepentant, unbelieving, wicked person that has ever lived (billions and billions and billions of people) -- The WHOLE WORLD OF HUMANITY (who are not in the first resurrection)… in a pond. A pond of divine, purifying SPIRIT.

This word limen has the word "fair" before it in Acts 27:8, in the King James Version—the "fair havens." Other translations render this verse as "safe harbor." (My father helped build Safe Harbor Dam in Pennsylvania).

Is not even the definition of this word and its root, comforting? And so even in this most solemn setting of God’s judgment there is a hint of safety and security.

SAFETY AND SECURITY IN THE DIVINE LAKE OF FIRE

Perhaps one reason that God describes this place of judgment as a "pond" or "lake" rather than a "harbor" is because a lake is landlocked, thus preventing a return to the perilous winds and waves of the deep sea from which these occupants have figuratively come:

"And the SEA gave up the dead [spiritually dead people] which were in it…"

This is not speaking of the physical waters of the world’s oceans, however. Remember that just as the "lake of fire" is symbolic in Revelation, "the sea" is likewise symbolic. This is speaking of the SPIRITUALLY DEAD from the great sea of humanity, not the relatively few literal flesh souls who have unfortunately drowned to death in the oceans of the world. Many have also drowned in rivers and other waterways don’t you know.

The very reason that the "fair haven" of Acts 27:12

"…was not commodious [suitable] to winter in…" [is because of its position to the sea] "…the more [majority] part advised to depart thence also if by any means they might attain to Phenice, and there to winter; which is an haven [harbor] of Crete, and lies [opens] toward the south west and north west."

The American Bible Union Version translates this verse:

"was not well situated for wintering in…"

The Living Bible translates this verse:

"And since Fair Havens was an exposed harbor…"

ONLY GOD IS THE SOVEREIGNTY OF THE SEA

Various nations in the past were called "the sovereignty of the sea" because of their great naval domination. But there is only one which is truly the Sovereignty of the sea, and that is God. Forty years ago I cut from a book and pasted into the inside cover of my Bible the following:

"O God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."

This is really a parable of the salvation of the world. The "sea" in Scripture is a symbol for mankind, humanity—the sinning human race. Scripture often speaks of (1) the sea, (2) the earth, and (3) the heaven—the sea being the lowest, and the heaven being the highest.

Remember the Scriptural principle that first comes the physical and then the spiritual. There are many physical types in the Bible that represent spiritual realities.

God saved Noah and his family from the raging waves of the sea in an ark. When we come to understanding spiritual things, we will clearly see that the ark represents Christ. We also have examples of Jesus saving His disciples from the raging waves of the Sea [lake] of Galilee.

"And when He was entered into a ship, His disciples followed Him. And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was COVERED WITH THE WAVES [‘and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was already filling, Mk 4:37]: but He was asleep. And His disciple came to Him, and awoke Him, saying Lord, save us: WE PERISH. And He said unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then He arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea: and there was a great calm. But the men marveled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him!" (Matt. 8:23-27).

Does anyone have the slightest doubt that Jesus possesses the power to calm the sea? Is any man or group of men more powerful than the sea? Then why, oh why, do we allow theologians, clergymen, pastors, preachers, teachers and authors to tell us that Jesus Christ is POWERLESS TO CALM THE SEA OF HUMANITY? That man possesses a raging power of "free will" that even God Himself cannot and will not penetrate or calm? No, my friends, "…the winds and the sea OBEY HIM!"

On another occasion we read this:

"And straightway Jesus constrained His disciples to get into a ship, and to go before Him unto the other side, while He sent the multitudes away… But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, TOSSED WITH WAVES" (Matt. 14:22-24).

In both cases Jesus SAVED His disciples from the raging waves of the sea.

JESUS CHRIST IS OUR COVERING

We just read where the Apostles were on a boat on the sea of Galilee and were, "…COVERED with waves…" I see another type here. What do the "raging waves of the sea" symbolize?

Jude tells us that, "filthy dreamers," who "defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities," "brute beasts," those who have "gone the way of Can," and are after "the error of Balaam," and those who "perished in the gainsaying of core," these are "spots in your feasts of charity … RAGING WAVES OF THE SEA…" (Jude 8-13).

Say, did you notice where these "filthy dreamers, brute beasts, raging waves of the sea" are located. That’s right—IN THE CHURCH. These evil people are eating right along with the rest in the Church’s "feasts of charity." These are those who, "say they are apostles [of Christ], and are not," and those who, "say they are Jews [spiritual Jews -- converted Christians], and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan."

The disciples were literally "covered with waves" of the sea, but they were also covered with the "raging waves of the sea" spoken of in Jude, because they were, as yet, unconverted.

Actually, the Sea of Galilee is really a lake, also called, The Lake of Gennesar [et] and Lake Tiberias. Jesus Himself called Galilee a "lake" (Luke 8:22). Notice that the carnality of man symbolized in "covered with waves" (raging waves of the sea) needed salvation—"Lord save us, WE PERISH." What did Jesus become to His disciples at that very instant? Answer: "a covering shelter." Whereas they were covered by the raging waves of the sea, Jesus now became their "covering."

Jesus SAVED His disciples from the "raging waves of the sea that covered them," in the middle of the Sea [lake] of Galilee. But this was a literal physical event. They were not spiritually converted as yet, but this event pointed to just such a conversion of the spirit. Will not Jesus also become a "covering shelter" for others? If so, for whom, and for how many?

Also somewhere in Isaiah it mentions something about raging waves of the sea.

Peace

Anthony

dave

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »

Thank you for your response, especially davids so very simple. :)

Heidi

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:50:29 PM »

The following was very helpful....

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,240.0.html - body&spirit=soul

Love in Christ
Heidi

David

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 08:16:43 AM »

Thank you Anthony, very informative. I think to understand the point that James is making in verse 8 its  sufficient to take into account verses 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7. I alluded to verses 6 and 7 in my response.
To understand the contrast James makes with the wind and the sea, I think Matthew 14:28-33 is a wonderful spiritual admonition to us all. And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.”
29 So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.”

Peters experience of doubt in these verses on the tempestuous sea (symbolic of mankind) reprisent the doubts and weaknesses in the faith of all of us at points in our walk. Peter called out to Christ to save him, and Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him and saved him from sinking into the sea (symbolic of sinking back into the doubtful faithless ways of mankind, of which James refers to.)
Thank you again Anthony,
David.   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:24:24 AM by David »

AK4

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:25:58 PM »

Your welcome,

Also try the last installment in LOF series.  thats where here goes into more detail about the raging waves of the sea.

Anthony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.