bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proposal  (Read 7261 times)

Brian

Proposal
« on: August 12, 2008, 05:14:04 PM »

Literacy Clause

Being that this is an internet forum, we're all here to read what others have to say, and write some things of our own. It should be common sense that how we write our posts reflects on ourselves, as well as, invites others to read our posts, or makes them laugh at our level of utterly senseless or foolish behavior (via the off topic fun stuff).

Spelling and grammar are important on the internet, since it's the only way people get to know you. Hopefully you would rather come off as an intelligent person rather than a "blithering silly" who can't even spell a simple three letter word like 'you.' This isn't a chat room or a text message; shortening words such as "you," "though," "you're," "what," and "are" into short truncations such as "u," "tho," "ur," "wut" and "r" make you look like a "blithering silly". It also makes your post harder for other members to read, as well as lowering the collective IQ of the forums. Aside from all of that, the amount of time you "save" with such "text talk" is negligible.

Nobody is asking you to be a human dictionary, or spell perfectly all of the time (there is a spell checker) - everyone makes mistakes (I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken  ???). We are, however, asking you to put an effort into making good, quality, and easily readable posts.

Literacy clause rules:

* Don't use short truncations or single letter representations of words. It doesn't save you any time, it just makes you look silly. Write out the word completely if you have something to say.
    * Use punctuation. Even a 13 year old should be capable of at least using periods and commas, and capitalizing - the most basic forms of punctuation. Nobody wants to read a post that spans half a page without a single period or comma.
    * Try to use paragraphs in long posts. This isn't hard, and you've no doubt done it in school. It makes reading your whiny half page thread about how your mom is so unfair much easier to bear.

Posts or threads containing "text talk" or other silly truncations will be subject to being edited, deleted or closed.

If you're one of those people who is either incapable of typing with a degree of intellect, or just refuses to do so, then you are a silly. Don't bother complaining, just leave; we don't want you here.

ROFL  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:23:33 PM by Brian »

OBrenda

Re: Proposal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »

K
 :P
 ;)

Samson

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:02:05 PM »

Hello Brian,

I concur with your thoughts on this matter, sometimes the misspelling of a word is due to laziness, hurrying oneself due to lack of time, being extra tired, as in my case. The spell check is a good feature. I don't always use it because of my desire to spell properly on my own. One day, I commented to my Wife how people in general don't seem to know how to spell properly and after making that comment, I ate my own words when discovering I misspelled a word on one of my Post's. Looking back, I now realize that I was tired when making that Post.

Ray seems to receive some Emails from so-called critics and accusers who can't even spell three and four letter words; I usually interpret those messages as conveying a laziness and disrespect on their part, not just making an error in spelling, but I could be wrong, maybe they were too busy playing computer games and listening to Rap music, instead of spending the necessary time learning how to spell.  ;D ;D ;D My point is that, we can't know precisely the reason why people misspell words. Of course, as you stated, we could use spell check.

Kind Regards, Samson.

AK4

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 06:26:57 PM »

Hi all,

What about apostrophe's?  I hate using them.  Hate it, hate it, hate it.  Im a simple guy who doesnt like to make things complicated, not saying putting apostrophe's is complicated, I just hate it.  Oh, also capitalizing the word "I".  Come on.  Its just simple and you get the jist of whats being said.  I agree with the ur, wat and that text talk, but apostrophe's and the "I".  Can i have some lee way---i guess thats how you spell it?

If those bother you guys, i will change, but its going to be hard as you can see in this post.

All in love

Anthony

p.s.
Wulod tihs be a bad tinhg to do aslo, baceuse you konw trehe was a sutdy taht was dnoe taht sohwed no mtaetr how you slepl a wrod the biran wlil be albe to see the lsat two lteters in the wrod and konw waht taht wrod is as lnog as you put the frsit and lsat ltteer in tehir rghit sopts.  If the wrod has tehre or lses lteters in it you msut slpel the wrod out crroetlcy.

How fast did you guys read that. :o :) ;) :D ;D 8) ??? ::) :P

OBrenda

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »

Anthony

p.s.
Wulod tihs be a bad tinhg to do aslo, baceuse you konw trehe was a sutdy taht was dnoe taht sohwed no mtaetr how you slepl a wrod the biran wlil be albe to see the lsat two lteters in the wrod and konw waht taht wrod is as lnog as you put the frsit and lsat ltteer in tehir rghit sopts.  If the wrod has tehre or lses lteters in it you msut slpel the wrod out crroetlcy.

How fast did you guys read that. :o :) ;) :D ;D 8) ??? ::) :P

OMG!

;D ;)

I can't believe how easy that was to read!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:17:55 PM by OBrenda »

AK4

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »

Oh yeah,  we can't get rid of "lol".  That one had got to be an exeption to the rule, it and all of its variations, you know.

Anthony

p.s.

Just in case you werent able to read that its---

Would this be a bad thing to do also because you know there was a study that was done that showed no matter how you spell a word the brain will be able to see the last two letters in the word and know what that word is as long as you put the first and last letter in their right spots.  If the word has three or less letters in it you must spell the word out correctly.

ROFLM@O :-*

joyful1

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »

i agree tottally ! but did Not want to lok like a no-it all! ;D

dewey

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:40:20 PM »

hi ak4 this is dewey . i think you answred good.
 in the spirit love ya
 dewey

dewey

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 11:52:59 PM »

Hi, AK4

This is Paula, Dewey's wife.  How do you possibly reply to Brian's message?  I thoroughly enjoyed your P.S. response of how different people can or cannot comprehend text messages.  Yes, I understood every word of your P.S. as I read it.  As you said, as long as you get the gist of what's being said - that's all that matters, right?  We're not applying for PhDs here.  The last thing we want is someone correcting our spelling or grammar - it is what it is.  We're (apostrophe) all friends and it shouldn't (apostrophe) matter, right?

In the Spirit of Jesus, we love ya,

paula & dewey
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 04:09:31 PM by dewey »

AK4

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 11:57:24 PM »

thanks all,

OMG!

I can't believe how easy that was to read!

Brenda, i was the same way when someone sent me an email like that.  It makes me realise how GREAT GOD IS!!! And how he designed everything and how everything IS in the world.  I watch the discovery channel and the like with that frame of mind and it just astounds me how everything is soooooo complex from how we see it, but in no other way can anything have came be without a inifite wisdom entity (God) and how these things BLOWS OUT THE WAY the THEORY of evolution.

Thanks everyone in Love,

Anthony

PS Dewey you posted while i was posting.  You had me LOL real hard. 

musicman

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:04 AM »

Hay"  i dont lik tu b colld supid  Y does you pepal mes wit us wuu has smal brane

its not mi folt?  i wuz bone dat way    mi moma says dat i jus as gude as yu pepal dat kan rede n rite     wun x i wuz gona goe tu shool tu lern hou tu rite guder butt day jus hit mi on hed an sa       u stuped?        day borowed tu mi a buuk tu lern biter reding  butt i jus luk at da piturs. . . . an sta supid          mi momu sa dat buuks r frum da deval
any hoe i got mi degee fom skul wit saas i no supid no moe      

butt da techirs laf an saa i stil reel supid

butt i laf at dem   bcuz i pd in ther coffe an day drenk
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:14:23 AM by musicman »

OBrenda

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:13 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MM....you made me laugh so hard I SNORTED! :o

AK4

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 12:43:45 AM »

LOL musicman,

etslay alktay inay igpay atinlay ootay!!

(lets talk in pig latin too)

Brian

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

Thank u 1 & all.
I laughed so hard my eyeballs squeaked.

;D ;D ;D

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:36:02 PM by Brian »

kweli

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 05:23:16 AM »

Hay"  i dont lik tu b colld supid  Y does you pepal mes wit us wuu has smal brane

its not mi folt?  i wuz bone dat way    mi moma says dat i jus as gude as yu pepal dat kan rede n rite     wun x i wuz gona goe tu shool tu lern hou tu rite guder butt day jus hit mi on hed an sa       u stuped?        day borowed tu mi a buuk tu lern biter reding  butt i jus luk at da piturs. . . . an sta supid          mi momu sa dat buuks r frum da deval
any hoe i got mi degee fom skul wit saas i no supid no moe       

butt da techirs laf an saa i stil reel supid

butt i laf at dem   bcuz i pd in ther coffe an day drenk

That's what you get from reading the Bishops Bible. Serves you right.  :D

LOL musicman,

etslay alktay inay igpay atinlay ootay!!

(lets talk in pig latin too)

Was the Bishops Bible translated from pig latin?  ???  ???  ???

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 06:42:42 PM »

Thank u 1 & all.
I laughed so hard my eyeballs squeaked.

;D ;D ;D

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?"

brian, thanks for the good medicine of laughter you gave to me. i have never heard the quote "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the others make fun of it?" that cracked me up. thanks again.

claudia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.