bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jesus Sick?  (Read 5602 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Jesus Sick?
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:56:43 PM »

Dear Brian:  I don't have the time right now to deal with this very long post of yours, so I will just make a few essential COMMENTS in your paper:

Greetings Ray,

"jakfr0s" Asked the question, on the General Discussion Board, "Did Jesus ever get sick?" There were, of course, a great many responses.

My response was withdrawn by Kat. I was informed that you needed to respond to it personally as it is diametrically opposite of your teaching. I will try to recreate, from memory, the response I posted so that you can give it your thoughtful attention.

COMMENT:  Kat did the right thing, we don't allow challenging what I teach on the Forum, as I don't even get to see it, and this causes undue confusion.

He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrowsH4341, and acquaintedH3045 with griefH2483; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borneH5375 our griefsH2483 and carriedH5445 our sorrowsH4341; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. (Isaiah 53:3-4)

a man of sorrowsH4341 - A similar phraseology occurs in Pro 29:1, 'He that being often reproved,' in the margin, 'a man of reproofs;' in the Hebrew, 'A man of chastisements,' that is, a man who is often chastised. Compare Dan 10:11: 'O Daniel, a man greatly beloved,' Margin, as in Hebrew, 'A man of desires; that is, a man greatly desired. Here, the expression means that his life was characterized by sorrows.

COMMENT:  Sorrows are not the same as disease or sickness, so this part is of little value to your argument.

acquaintedH3045 with griefH2483- Hebrew, חלי וידוע viyduÌ‚a‛ choliy - 'And knowing grief.' The word rendered 'grief' usually means sickness, disease Deu 7:15; Deu 28:61; Isa 1:5; but it also means anxiety, affliction Ecc 5:16. & lt; /FONT>

COMMENT:  I don't see where you are getting that, seeing that #2483 is not even found in Ecc. 5:16. But it is is found in Ecc. 1:5 where it is stated that "the whole head is sick [#2483]."  And again in Ecc. 6:2 where it speaks of "an evil disease [#2483]."

If the word here means disease, it is only a figurative designation of severe sufferings both of body and of soul.

COMMENT:  Oh really?  And does a figurative disease take its meaning from another word with a different meaning?

The idea is, that he was familiar with sorrow and calamity. It does not mean, as it seems to me, that he was to be himself sick and diseased; but that he was to be subject to various kinds of calamity,

COMMENT:  How do we go from "sick & disease" to "sorrow & calamity?"

and that it was to be a characteristic of his life that he was familiar with it. He was intimate with it. He knew it personally; he knew it in others.

COMMENT:  So Jesus was "intimately acquainted" with disease because He saw it in others?  Notice a few good translations on this verse:

CLV) Despised is He, and shunned by men, a man of pains and KNOWING ILLNESS. And, as One concealing His face from us, despised is He, and we judge Him of no account."

(Rotherham) Despised was he, and forsaken of men, Man of pains and FAMILIAR WITH SICKNESS, —Yea, like one from whom the face is hidden, Despised, and we esteemed him not.

YLT) He is despised, and left of men, A man of pains, and ACQUAINTED WITH SICKNESS, And as one hiding the face from us, He is despised, and we esteemed him not.

He lived in the midst of scenes of sorrow, and be became intimately acquainted with its various forms, and with its evils. There is no evidence that the Redeemer was himself sick at any time - which is remarkable - but there is evidence in abundance that he was familiar with all kinds of sorrow, and that his own life was a life of grief.

COMMENT:  In addition to this plain teaching of Isa. 53:3, Why did the Pharisees tell Jesus to "heal HIMSELF" if they saw absolutely no "sickiness or disease" in Him? How could Jesus be "healed" of a sickness which He didn't have?

God be with you,

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.