bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first stab at trying to translate hebrew into english myself  (Read 3901 times)

AK4

Hi all,

This is no easy task.  I know nothing of hebrew so I just thought, what the heck i'll give it a shot anyway.

Gen 5:1

(GNT-V)

(HOT+)  זהH2088  ספרH5612  תולדתH8435  אדםH121  ביוםH3117  בראH1254  אלהיםH430  אדםH120  בדמותH1823  אלהיםH430  עשׂהH6213  אתו׃H853 

(ISV)

(KJV+)  ThisH2088 is the bookH5612 of the generationsH8435 of Adam.H121 In the dayH3117 that GodH430 createdH1254 man,H120 in the likenessH1823 of GodH430 madeH6213 he him;

(KJVR)  This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;

(LXX)  Αὕτη ἡ βίβλος γενέσεως ἀνθρώπων· ᾗ ἡμέρᾳ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν Αδαμ, κατ᾿ εἰκόνα θεοῦ ἐποίησεν αὐτόν·

(Webster)  This is the book of the generations of Adam: In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him:

(Anthony's Try For The Heck of it Translation Book)   This is a book of the descents of Adam; in the age creates God man, in the resemblence of God makes (him)self.

I tried not to add any words at all, but thats impossible, you got to add words like 'the' and 'a' it seems like. And i tried to use words straight from Strong's.  Last but not least, where all the others have put created, i put creates.  Strong's has...

bârâ'
baw-raw'
A primitive root; (absolutely) to create; (qualified) to cut down (a wood), select, feed (as formative processes): - choose, create (creator), cut down, dispatch, do, make (fat).

To create. Ain't that like saying I'm going to make/create man.

Anyway, and oh the commas and periods and such, heck, look at all those other translations. It seems like anyone can put almost anything they want, where they wanted.  You can see how scholary i am in hebrew.

I gave this a shot because i'm salivating waiting to see what Ray is seeing about creation.

Be brutal.  I can take tough love.  let me know what you think.

Anthony 8)

musicman

Re: My first stab at trying to translate hebrew into english myself
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 12:00:24 AM »

Oh, come on. . . .

You had the hebrew upside down.

Try it again.

AK4

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »

LOL if i only had pictures :)

gmik

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »

That is alot of work! Do you have patience and time??? ;)

Brian

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »

Greetings AK4,

Please keep in mind that translation is more then word substitution. It also involves syntax, grammar and tense. The Hebrew language is not an exception. Some words can be past, present, and future tense all at the same time. I highly recommend that you take at least a few classes to help in this effort.

It is a worthy goal to do your own translation. It can really help in your understanding of the Scriptures.

Love and Prayers
B
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.