bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eSword Revelation commentary  (Read 7510 times)

love_magnified

eSword Revelation commentary
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:20:59 PM »

Here at http://www.e-sword.net/commentaries.html, you can download all sorts of commentaries. But wouldn't it be cool if we could add Mike's commentary on Revelation?

How hard would that be to do? I am not a coder, but would it be impossible to add other commentaries?

ertsky

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:18:41 PM »

i was reading over at theChan that it wasn't too difficult :idea:

a fair bit of work no doubt but not too difficult.

f

love_magnified

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 04:45:31 PM »

I think it would be awesome!

Indagator

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:16:58 PM »

I had actually thought of something similar recently, but not by way of the commentary function.  I DL'd some of the .top files to read just because I hadn't read them before like some of the writings of Josephus, Calvin and Martin Luther.  I wonder if it couldn't just be done in that way...as a .top file.  Actually...I'm going to try that now and see if I can get it to work.  I'll let you guys know.

love_magnified

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:20:32 PM »

That sounds cool. So the .top file would not be an interactive part of eSword right? It is basically a writing. It wouldn't be like being able to click on a verse and see the comment related to that verse, like with Hastings etc. But at least the commentary would be in the program. Is that right?

Indagator

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »

Love magnafied, that is correct.  Which is why I can see why it would be so much better to have it be an actual commentary, but I thought that until it can be made so topic notes could also be used just for now.  I actually just copied and pasted Mike's study on Dividing the Word of Truth right into the topic notes to see how it would go.

Well, It's kind of cool having it there within the program for references so I'm not having to click tabs and windows to go back and forth, but yeah I think it would be so much nicer overall to have an interactive commentary.  I'll peek into thechan and elsewhere to see if I can find info on making commentaries just because I know how helpful the Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge is to me personally, and I think it would be excellent if Mike's study of Revelation, and Ray's LOF series could be done in the same way  :D

Indagator

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 08:12:13 PM »

Ok, I found something.  It's a yahoo user group for e-sword...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eSword/

You do have to register, but it's pretty quick and painless.  They have a pretty knowledgable bunch of folks that can tell one how to create commentaries, graphics files, bibles...well pretty much anything to do with e-sword.  I just started reading about some of what's needed in order to create a commentary and it seems like one of those things that when you first attempt it, it's very complicated but ever time after that it's easy.  You just have to get it right once and from there it's not so difficult.

For those who choose to register, this is the section on commentary creation I've been perusing.  Maybe it will give you guys an idea of what's needed in order to do so.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eSword/messagesearch?query=commentary&submit=Search&charset=ISO-8859-1

love_magnified

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 08:36:33 PM »

Nice! I know nothing about coding backend stuff, past HTML and a small amount of ActionScript, but down the line, when the commentary is done, it would be pretty outstanding to have it as part of eSword.

ertsky

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 03:34:18 AM »

no coding required LM (which is fortunate for me)

e-Sword commentaries are just MS Access files renamed (*.cmt) Ric Meyers has kindly made the blank templates available.

so it's just a cut and paste job really.

you load up the blank template in Access, rename it etc in details.

then in word or whatever do up the formatted text and save as *.rtf

load up the rtf file in notepad where all the formatting code will appear and cut and paste that into the corresponding access cell for that verse.

thats basically it. (or rather the way i blundered upon it, theres bound to be a more elegant process).

i stopped about there and didn't press on to verse links etc but there are plenty of help files and helpful people over at the yahoo e-sword groups.

f

love_magnified

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 02:39:52 PM »

Question: are you talking about being able to have the commentary interactive. For example the Brown commentary will show up for each verse you click on. It looks like that is what you are saying, which would be aweseome. Even if not, it would be valuable, and if it is that simple, that is good news.

ertsky

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 07:56:18 PM »

Question: are you talking about being able to have the commentary interactive. For example the Brown commentary will show up for each verse you click on.

no, that happens automatically as each verse has a seperate cell for the entry of the formatted text LM.

i was meaning i didn't figure out how to add a verse reference within the formatted text of the commentary for that verse that would jump to another verse, though i am sure it's very simple to do, i didn't go that far.

f

Indagator

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 12:21:21 AM »

Quote from: ertsky
no coding required LM (which is fortunate for me)

e-Sword commentaries are just MS Access files renamed (*.cmt) Ric Meyers has kindly made the blank templates available.

so it's just a cut and paste job really.

you load up the blank template in Access, rename it etc in details.

then in word or whatever do up the formatted text and save as *.rtf

load up the rtf file in notepad where all the formatting code will appear and cut and paste that into the corresponding access cell for that verse.

thats basically it. (or rather the way i blundered upon it, theres bound to be a more elegant process).

i stopped about there and didn't press on to verse links etc but there are plenty of help files and helpful people over at the yahoo e-sword groups.

f

I'm having a problem finding the templates unless you're referring to the STEP library stuff.  Is that what you meant, and if not, could you link me or explain where I can find it on Rick's site?

ertsky

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »

the templates are available here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eSword/files/

but you have to join the group to get them

if you pm me an email addy i'll send 'em over

f

Indagator

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »

Sweet, thanks much  :D .  I just joined that group the other day so I'm good on that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.