bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Mark and John the Baptist  (Read 10624 times)

kweli

John Mark and John the Baptist
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:08:36 AM »

Hello everyone

I have a question on something I'm a bit stuck with.

In Acts, Peter (sort of) had a 'side kick' named John. Later I came to understand that the same John is surnamed Mark (which, I kind of thought, is the Mark that wrote the second synoptic gospel). Then, I read John (the Baptist) and Revelations to study his writing style. And then I studied the Johns (I John to III John) and noticed a writing style that is more aligned to the style in the Peters (I and II Peter). It kind of fits well as Peter and John (surnamed Mark) were recorded as being together during their ministry, after pouring down of the Holy Spirit. So now I'm stuck.

Commentaries say John the baptist wrote the Johns, but they aren't John's style. Is John (in Acts) Mark? the other that got me concerned is the 'we' that apostles use when they speak of their ministries. What am I missing?

I don't have an answer already so any response will be welcome.

All Glory to GOD

kweli

hillsbororiver

Re: John Mark and John the Baptist
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:05:18 AM »

Hi Kweli,

Peter's "sidekick" was indeed Mark (John Mark) writer of "The Gospel of Mark." John the Baptist was not an author of any books (he was beheaded by Herod right at the beginning of Christ's ministry) but the other John (brother of James,son of thunder/disciple Jesus loved) wrote the 4th Gospel as well as 1John, 2John, 3John.

Luke accompanied Paul through much of Paul's ministry and was the primary author of Acts.

As to your other question;

"the other that got me concerned is the 'we' that apostles use when they speak of their ministries. What am I missing?"

I am not sure what you are asking, please elaborate.

Peace,

Joe

P.S. John (writer of the Gospel of John) was also the writer of the "Revelation of Jesus Christ."

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:13:47 AM by hillsbororiver »

OBrenda

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:59:50 AM »

Hi there,

May I throw this question out also?

And did the Beloved-John,...author the book of Revelations?

I've heard it different ways?

Thanks,
Brenda

Samson

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:11:34 AM »

Hi there,

Thanks,
Brenda

Yes Brenda,

The Apostle John, Brother of James(the Son's of Thunder-Boanarges) wrote The Revelation, The Gospel of John, 1st, 2ND and third John. My understanding is that Revelation was written in 96 C.E. ; The Gospel of John in 98 C.E. ; 1st, 2ND and 3rd John 98-100 C.E. and the Apostle John died sometime after the beginning of the second century.

Kind regards, Samson.

P.S. No time for references this Morning, leaving for Altoona, Pa to see Daughter.

kweli

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »

Ahhh now it fits. The other John is the disciple Jesus loved, and John the baptist isnt that disciple. I see it now. Thanks Joe. I always thought John the baptist was the author of Revelations, and possibly the Johns. I feel bad that I always thought the other John was insignificant. How terrible of me.

Oh about the other question, I was trying to ask who John the baptist was referring to as we since he wasnt part of the 12. Now I know I was completely off the mark.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »

Hi Kweli,

I am glad to be of some assistance Brother,

You know when you consider the volume that Luke (Gospel of Luke & Acts) and John (the beloved) were chosen and/or commisioned to write they were some very major contributors to the NT, we normally think of Paul as being the most prolific writer but Luke and John weren't slouches either!  ;)

Peace,

Joe

OBrenda

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »

Hi there,

Thanks,
Brenda

Yes Brenda,

The Apostle John, Brother of James(the Son's of Thunder-Boanarges) wrote The Revelation, The Gospel of John, 1st, 2ND and third John. My understanding is that Revelation was written in 96 C.E. ; The Gospel of John in 98 C.E. ; 1st, 2ND and 3rd John 98-100 C.E. and the Apostle John died sometime after the beginning of the second century.

Kind regards, Samson.

P.S. No time for references this Morning, leaving for Altoona, Pa to see Daughter.

Just to verify my BBT ;D (Before Bible Truths) understanding....

C.E. now means current era which used to be A.C. after the birth of Christ.
So in the 96 C.E. Beloved/John would have been in his 70's when he wrote this?

Enjoy your Daughter Samson...
I'm prepairing for a Hurricane hitting here in Florida tommorrow!

Peace,
Brenda

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »

Hi there,

Thanks,
Brenda

Yes Brenda,

Kind regards, Samson.

Enjoy your Daughter Samson...
I'm prepairing for a Hurricane hitting here in Florida tommorrow!

Peace,
Brenda

hi brenda, just wanted to let you know that am praying for you and yours, as well as any other of our sisters and brothers in Christ, who are in the path of the storm fay. seems like we as believers are always in the pathway of some kind of storm in our lives. but what better ways to build our trust and courage, knowing that God can see us through any storm that comes our way. anyway, batten down the hatches and stay safe.

your sister in Him,
claudia
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:51:23 PM by cjwood »

OBrenda

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »

Thank You Claudia,

How very kind.  It sure feels like the dial that reads "Trials & Tribulations" has been turned up a few notches for everybody.  You've got it right, we need to stick together and encourage one another with prayer.  We need to be grateful for what we have been blessed with.  Each day we grow stronger in him.

Your support is edifying,
Brenda 

Beloved

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:12:28 PM »

AC ...  ;D ;D ;D   brenda you mean  like AC/ DC electricity I think you meant A. D. Anno Domin1.e

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

John the baptist preached repentance...he was tough and demanding...
(
Luk 7:24)  When John's messengers were gone, He proceeded to say to the multitude concerning John, "What did you go out into the Desert to gaze at? A reed waving in the wind?

(Luk 7:25)  But what did you go out to see? A man wearing luxurious clothes? People who are gorgeously dressed and live in luxury are found in palaces.

(Luk 7:26)  But what did you go out to see? A Prophet? Aye, I tell you, and far more than a Prophet.

(Luk 7:27)  John is the man about whom it is written, 'SEE, I AM SENDING MY MESSENGER BEFORE THY FACE, AND HE SHALL MAKE READY THY WAY BEFORE THEE.'

If you read history you will find in the writings of some of the early curch leaders who took over many of the churches, they make no mention of John but do talk about Paul and Peter, even though John was still alive. 
I think John was a sun of thunder and was critical of the false teachings that were creaping into the church.

beloved

OBrenda

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »

AC ...  ;D ;D ;D   brenda you mean  like AC/ DC electricity I think you meant A. D. Anno Domin1.e

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

beloved

ROFLOL at my self! ;D ;D ;D
Can I blame that one on my BBT stupidity!
Didn't think so.... ;)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »

Just so everybody's clear, John the Baptist, John the Apostle, and John Mark are THREE different people.  Kinda like Daves and David's on ths forum.   :D
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Beloved

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »

Just so everybody's clear, John the Baptist, John the Apostle, and John Mark are THREE different people.

Absoloodle....I did not make it very clear, I commented on only two of them in my last post .

The third John mark was the first division in the church , Paul was mad because Mark did not want to go on some missions and Barnabas one of the early disciples defended him and the two of them Barnabas and Mark did their own thing.

beloved

AK4

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:07:15 PM »

The third John mark was the first division in the church , Paul was mad because Mark did not want to go on some missions and Barnabas one of the early disciples defended him and the two of them Barnabas and Mark did their own thing.

I always wondered what Paul and Barnabas had a strong disagreement about.  How did you find this out Beloved?  Where did you read this at?

hillsbororiver

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 09:01:24 AM »

Act 15:37  And Barnabas determined to take with them John, whose surname was Mark.

Act 15:38  But Paul thought not good to take him with them, who departed from them from Pamphylia and went not with them to the work.

Act 15:39  And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark and sailed unto Cyprus;

It is apparent the differences or whatever issues Paul may have had with Mark dissipated by the time Paul was concluding his ministry as we read in Timothy;

2Ti 4:11  Only Luke is with me. Take Mark and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry.

Peace,

Joe
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:10:36 AM by hillsbororiver »

AK4

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 09:22:53 AM »

Thanks Joe,

I cant believe  i read right over that!!  I think i was looking for more into it, so to speak.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »

You are very welcome!

Peace,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.