bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Story  (Read 4661 times)

youthfortruth

My Story
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:48:13 PM »

Hello All!

My name is Andrew, and as of today, I've been officially approved into the bible truths forum.

Over the past 5 years, this site has blessed my life in ways I could never imagine. My eyes are as open as ever. Making the choice, the right choice, isn't always easy. As a 20 (nearly 21) year old kid, I'm forever grateful that God is willing to reveal truths to me at such a young age. It didn't occur in one night though. In fact, no more then 3 years ago, I was on the brink of suicide. I was an anxious, helpless, go nowhere OCD wreck for all particle purposes. Allow me to share with you how God's grace impacted my courage, and essentially saved my life.

Throughout my teen life, there were countless times I couldn’t complete a homework assignment due to learning disabilities. I hadn’t inherited an obsessive compulsive mind yet (so to speak). Then one day, out of nowhere, I started getting these sudden urges that made me engage in what my family saw as “bizarre” behaviors. These included: hand washing, and reluctance to sit in a chair without the use of a barrier. As unusual and tormenting as it was behaving that way, I passed it off as “normal behavior” simply because I was convinced something terrible would happen to me if I didn’t obey my mind’s commands. After what seemed like an eternity of daily triggers, engulfing the mind, and tearing my family apart, I finally found enough strength to seek treatment.

We had tried almost everything. From hypnosis to meds, nothing had a long lasting effect. Eventually I was evaluated at our university clinic. Being too severe for treatment there, they had recommended I look into going to a place called: “The OCD institute”, a suggestion that would change my life forever. At first I was frightened. I mean, who would want to go somewhere where they nearly deprive you of all the resources needed to relive ritualistic behavior? Then my senses came to me. I quickly realized enough was enough. Something needed to be done. I remember seeing a quote from H.G. Wells that read:

“If we don’t end war, war will end us”

I applied this very principle in the weeks leading up to rehab. I knew that despite the pain, fear, discomfort etc in doing the work, this was something I had to do. I put my faith in God and his infinite wisdom that somehow, someway, I could to this. I could beat my OCD.

On April 18 2006, I stepped into the halls of the clinic, nervous as can be. Initially, I was afraid the other patents may judge and/or ridicule me. There were people there from virtually all over North America suffering from the same issue. I thought to myself: Can I do this?? Will this work??? Why am I here???.

Overtime, in working with hospital staff and socializing amongst the patients, I began to realize how much strength I really had. I wasn’t ridiculed, nor made fun of. In fact, these were some of the nicest, most courageous people I had ever met. It was as if I stepped into a country where our language was one in the same. I was amazed.
Two months later, I walked out feeling like an innocent convict whose prison sentence had just been exonerated. I was shocked at how cognitive behavior therapy changed my life forever. As of today, I don't take any meds for anxiety , and have near total control of my symptoms.

Since the beginning of time, the Lord is known to work in mysterious ways. Although this was a monumental task to overcome at such a young age, I’ve never been angry at God. I feel this was simply God’s plan of restoring hope, courage, confidence, and above all else, strength in my life. With God: "All Things Are Possible" (Matthew 19:26)

Thank you all for reading!!
                                       God Bless!   

mrl1970

Re: My Story
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »

Welcome Andrew

OBrenda

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »

Hi Andrew,

Welcome.  I enjoyed reading your post and was uplifted by your courage.  I have loved ones that struggle with similar issues, but they have not yet realized they are not "Normal" [in that behavior only], and they are twice your age.  God blessed you greatly as at a young age, you understand better than others, how fragile and influenced our minds can be.

I can't imagine after your struggle, that you missed learning compassion for others.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you better, and I hope to see you posting!

Your Big Sister in Christ, (just cuz I'm Old)
Brenda
 ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:50:22 PM by OBrenda »

iris

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »

Hi Andrew.

Welcome to the forum!

Iris

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:54:15 PM »

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad that you have joined us  :)
You are and outstanding young man to have overcome that behavior disorder, instead of letting it rule your life.  Yes as you said it was God's plan and we all have to learn about good and evil. 

I'm glad you have been blessed by this site and I hope you will continue to seek fellowship here. 

mercy, peace and love
Kat

gmik

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:19:59 PM »

Hi and Welcome Andrew!!!

God Bless you for sharing your inspiring testimony!  Our God is an Awesome God for sure!!

Keep posting!

Stevernator

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:37:48 PM »

Hello Andrew,
Let me extend a warmhearted welcome towards you! I am glad that you overcame that hardship. I agree that it is a wonderful blessing to learn these truths at a young age. Hmm now the next step is to figure out where to go from here... Well I'm hopeful because all things are possible with God.
Steve

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »

As a 20 (nearly 21) year old kid, I'm forever grateful that God is willing to reveal truths to me at such a young age.

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. 

When I read your statement above in reference to how young you are, it reminded me of the scripture found in 1Tim. 4:12-16.  Timothy was a young man blessed with spiritual gifts and understanding of God's Word.  I hope his example encourages you as you continue to grow and endure in this spiritual journey.

René

WhoAmI

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »

Hey Andrew,

Your experince with the disorder even though difficult can be a great blessing.
I am quite sure you have now been exposed to things otherwise you never would have been aware of. And now your seeing more things even now. Be at peace and be aware of the miracles all around. Your trials can produce great help to many others. Welcome and God bless.

Jeff

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »

Hi Andrew.  Good to have you.  I'm very glad that God has set you free from OCD.  I couldn't help thinking as I was reading that much of the church suffers a similar affliction...empty ritual due to faulty belief.  Who the Son has set free is free indeed.  Glad to have you here, and I look forward to more learning and fellowship together.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.