bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for information.  (Read 6026 times)

winner08

Looking for information.
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:17:13 AM »

The info in our Bible comes from earlyer Greek and Hebrew texts. What are those text called and how old are they. For example. The dead sea scrolls, these scrolls are very old and has a wealth of info that confirms alot of the information in the Bible. I am interested in finding out are there any other manualscripts that have been found and how old are they? Also where have they been found? I heard of a couple, but I would like to hear what y'all have to say on this matter. If anything at all.

Darren

Brian

Re: Looking for information.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:32:06 AM »

Greetings Darren,

The last time I checked, many years ago, there were more than 50,000 documents (called manuscripts). I understand that new ones are found frequently so I am sure there are many more now. They vary in date from BC (like the Dead Sea scrolls) to several hundred years AD (I think it's called CE now). The documents can be found under a variety of names. The names, generally, have to do with where they are found or who found them or who's library (collection) they are in. eg CODEX SINAITICUS; CHESTER BEATTY NUMBERS-DEUTERONOMY CODEX; CODEX SARRAVIANUS; CODEX ALEXANDRINUS; RYLANDS LIBRARY DEUTERONOMY FRAGMENT (2nd CENTURY BC); PAPYRUS ROLL OF FIRST CENTURY AD etceteras

They have been found in Palestine itself and in the surrounding countries, in Syria, in Mesopotamia in Egypt and etceteras

Archeologist have discovered Codex (a Codex is similar to our modern book with pages) from the early second century. And in the fourth century, Vellum (sheep skin) started being used in place of Papyrus for leafs (pages). Ancient manuscript study is really a fascinating field of study. I hope this is the kind of information you were looking for.

Have a happy and be sage.
B

WhoAmI

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 04:00:24 AM »

The scriptures we have mention other books.

Book of the Covenant (Ex. 24:4, 7 )
Book of the Wars of the Lord (Num. 21:14)
Book of Jasher (Josh. 10:13; 2 Sam. 1:18 )
A Book of Statutes (1 Sam. 10:25)
Book of the Acts of Solomon (1 Kings 11:41)
Books of Nathan and Gad (1 Chron. 29:29; 2 Chron. 9:29 )
Prophecy of Ahijad and Visions of Iddo (2 Chron 9:29; 12:15; 13:22)
Book of Shemaiah (2 Chron. 12:15 )
Book of Jehu (2 Chron. 20:34 )
Acts of Uzziah (2 Chron. 26:22)
Sayings of the Seers (2 Chron. 33:19)

There is a load of writings labeled as Apocrypha, some written in Hebrew and Aramaic as well.

Just remember Ecclesiastes 12:12 ...of making many books there is no end;

Jeff

winner08

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 06:10:10 AM »

Thanks, This is exactly what kind of info. I am looking for. I notice Brian you put down the Codex of Siniaticus. I just came across this info. about that codex. Man, is it intersting. I try to gather the most information on any given subjet so I can get all sides of the subject. Also Who am I, I will definitely look into these books you mention in the Bible.

Darren

AK4

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:37:58 AM »

Darren,

There is a website that has just about EVERYTHING written on it from the first and second Book of Adam and Eve to Taoism and the like.  Its all free too.  but i want to warn you, You have to guard your mind because alot of whats on there may have some false stuff.  Always compare it to the scriptures and if it has anything contradicting, stop reading it.  If you want to know this website PM me.  I dont recommend just anyone going to this site unless your Faith is strong.

Anthony

carol v

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »

Hi Darren, Ray's audios from the conference "How We Got Our Bible" are very interesting but you've probably heard those. He mentions a website that he gets lots of info from.

There is an interesting documentary they play on History Channel called Banned from the Bible and Banned II which gives an overview of the Apocrypha and pretty much sums up for me why they were banned.

Maybe you are much younger than  I am  ::) but I came to believe a while back that it was going  to be all I could do to study the scriptures that God has given us in this age without delving into the Apocrypha even though the subject is compelling.

Oh, and Ray mentions in his conference that there had to be scriptures being passed down from the time of Adam in order to keep the history up to the time of Moses. I have always just assumed that most of the books mentioned in the Bible were books along that line -- they were books read by those of that age and they have been replaced by the books we have now for our age. If God wanted us to have them, we would.

I very much agree with Anthony.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 07:56:01 PM »

This post refers to AK4's link, not your original question.
Hi Darren.

I don't want you to take this wrong, but I am compelled to speak my heart to you.  I've gotten to 'know' you over the time we've been at B-T forum and consider you a friend and brother.  What you have shared here over time has been a blessing to me, and I've learned a lot from both reading responses and searching for answers to questions you've raised.

But in all truth, I would hate to see you move from seeking God's truth into 'stuff to compare it too.'  From my heart, I just don't think you are ready to do this.  I would pray for you to continue in the Word of God we have , under Ray's teaching.  I don't have time or reason to do these things, and I truly believe you don't either.

Consider what I've said in love, and follow the Spirit of God.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:04:27 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

David

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 07:59:29 PM »

I have a book called "The lost scriptures". The book contains publications of  codices, manuscripts etc found during the 20th century. Most of them are no older than the 3rd century AD, many of them are incomplete. The contain some controversial material such as the so called Gospels of Philip, Thomas, Mary etc. There are some books in it that are clearly fraudulent creations such as the Apocalypse of Paul and Peter.
There are still thousands of manuscripts still being restored, authenticated and translated by experts in this field which will hopefully see the light of day in the future.  One which is creating a great deal a controversy and has already had a fictional book written about it before its even been published, is the so called "Gospel of the Nazarene". It was discovered after minor tremors in the Pompei/Vesuvius region uncovered a prestine Roman Library, cocooned in volcanic rock since 79AD. They found hundreds of manuscripts, most of which were regarded as useless for information purposes, and so were released into the antiquities market. But there were some that were not like most of them. They were not written in Latin, but in Aramaic. These are the ones of interest to Biblical scholars. They confirm so far that the papyri reeds are of the Judean region, as is the vegetable die used for the ink. They are said to be prestine. One of them is said to be titled "The Gospel of the Nazarene" and is adressed to "The twelve".
Its also said by more cautious scholars that much of whats been said of these manuscripts from this library is mearly hype drummed up by the antiquities market to make them ulimately more valuable. If they are ever published, we shall see.

David

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »

Hi Darren.

I don't want you to take this wrong, but I am compelled to speak my heart to you.  I've gotten to 'know' you over the time we've been at B-T forum and consider you a friend and brother.  What you have shared here over time has been a blessing to me, and I've learned a lot from both reading responses and searching for answers to questions you've raised.

But in all truth, I would hate to see you move from seeking God's truth into 'stuff to compare it too.'  From my heart, I just don't think you are ready to do this.  I would pray for you to continue in the Word of God we have , under Ray's teaching.  I don't have time or reason to do these things, and I truly believe you don't either.

Amen brother.
These things are interesting for their historical content, and thats it. What we have in scripture is sufficient for our edification and instruction.

AK4

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:13:51 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Dave in Tenn on Today at 05:56:01 PM
Hi Darren.

Amen brother.
These things are interesting for their historical content, and thats it. What we have in scripture is sufficient for our edification and instruction.

Hi Darren and Dave,

Thanks for looking out for me.  I feel the same way about you guys and everyone on BTF.  Thats why i put that warning.  I really should of made it alot stronger because some of the things on that website contain some Truths but also has contradictions to the Word.  And that is the best/worst way Satan can get someone to stray from the Truth.

I appreciate the concern, but I've already read most of the stuff on that website before ever even finding the BT website and Rays teachings and coming to the Truth.  This was even before i fell in the with the WWCG teachings.  Everything i read before coming to the Truth only reinforces or makes more concrete the Truth that i've learned. 

That is why im a strong advocate about reading other stuff to confirm the Truth you've learned.  Like Ray says you cant learn one thing without knowing the other.  With WWCG i learned the physical of the Word, with Ray i've learned the spiritual.  That's why i absolutely love what Ray put at the bottom of his LOF series installment 14 after Let Me Know.  I knew before coming to BT who the beast(s) was/are from reading stuff by Ellis Skolfield on his site.(Thinking back on it, he kind of reminds me of Ray, the way he wrote).

Before reading anything on that site or any site where it claimed it had something to do with God, I would pray to God first before reading it, asking Him not to let me fall for the crap (being nice here) that i may be reading and to have His spirit guide me.  I earnestly prayed that.  I can safely say that I never fell for anything on that site or any other (except for the WWCG teachings, which i must say speak alot of Truth but not all the Truth).  Now that i think about it I really didnt do that with Rays papers.  I just knew it was true.  Then the Lord kept speaking to me saying that i should question if Ray was right.  So like i did with all the others i tested it and WHAM all the stuff he wrote was right.  I thank God For Jesus giving Ray his spirit and in plain speech revealing His Word.

I read the Book of Enoch from that site and after coming to the Truth, I can see some faults in it. I didnt know then though.

To finish this I want to say thank you for being concerned and you guys are right for people whos faith and knowledge of his Truth, this could be a dangerous thing to do, but then again I didnt have much knowledge before going to all those sites. 

To God be the glory,

Anthony

ps.  I will warn everyone again---that website is NOT for everyone!!!  Be careful what you ask for because curiosity can kill the cat.
This is were I give all thanks to God because if He had predestined me to fall for what i was reading i would of.

winner08

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 10:36:50 PM »

Dave in Tenn: Thanks for that heart felt thread. I mean it, that was nice. I also feel that you are my friend and your posts have been very interesting and a wealth of information. I will keep my focus on Ray's teachings and the word of God. Thanks again for your concern. Let me just say in my own defense that I enjoy these old manuscripts for their history and to compare them to other text of ancient times. I am a history buff. Anything to do with history, archeology or ancient texts. I do alot of reading and research on all kinds of topics. I believe that knowledge is power. I must say first and foremost I believe in Ray's teachings 100% and I know He teaches the truth about God's words. I know Ray's teaching come from God. What better source. Nevertheless I do enjoy reading other texts. But I know where the truth lies.

Darren
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:54:25 PM by winner08 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.