bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving Grace & a great song  (Read 4323 times)

carol v

Saving Grace & a great song
« on: August 21, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »

I was watching Saving Grace Monday which was a very powerful episode. Yes, I know this show isn't completely scriptural and shows lots of adult topics but I love it. I am drawn to stories of confused people grappling with their questions about God while stuck in their sins as I was one for decades before having those questions answered. Grace is a complex character questioning God. I really like the title itself as we see that God is "saving" Grace -- no past tense.

Anyway, Monday's episode was about a father who killed his wife and then set fire to his 6 year old son. I was so moved by the song being played that I searched it out on the internet. The internet is a great thing -- I searched by the parameters using Saving Grace plus the title of the episode and song. I found it immediately and the episode had just aired. I wasn't the only one moved by the episode or the song.

The appearance of the singer, Antony, is rather strange so it's best just to close your eyes an enjoy his melodic voice. I found another song I liked as much as the one in the episode.

A Fistful of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CImsEJHYyv4

If It Be Your Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDlMdu2gjw&feature=related

I believe the words to both these songs were written by the poet Leonard Cohen. Probably better quality on the CD's than on youtube so I think I'll have to go to Amazon and download these soon.

And by the way, if anyone decides to catch an episode of Grace for the first time and is put off by how wild she is -- well she was raped as a child by a Cathollic priest and kept it hidden her whole life. Her brother recently found out. She is also a police officer which would be a very hard profession to NOT question God's plan in. She also has an angel, Earl, who appears a lot. As I said, it's not scriptural, but it is a great representation of our journey to discover God and His truth amidst the muddled affairs of our lives.

Samson

Re: Saving Grace & a great song
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »

Hi Carol,

Unless I'm mistaken, my Wife(The Freckle Girl) watches that show, I don't know if she saw your thread, I will bring it to her attention.

Kind Regards, Samson.

OBrenda

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »

Hi Carol,

Haven't seen the show, I'll have to check it out.
I'm not one that has a problem with leaving room for "make believe" so long as it is understood, that it is "make believe." 

IMO Like parables, other peoples stories, can teach us a spiritual truth/or just glimpse their perspective, and are not to be taken literally or as the "TRUTH". Some stuff out there is pure garbage.

Thanks for sharing the songs, very unique! ;D
Brenda

carol v

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »

That's a great way to put it Brenda -- the show is a parable.

I wasn't one of those "saved" early in life, homeschooling my own kids, etc. I spent decades arguing with God out loud and to myself because the stuff Christendom was trying to pass off on me just made no sense at all. My life wasn't quite as wild as Grace's but...well, I'm sure you can use your imagination, haha.

I was a complete hard-headed rebel throughout my life and I see myself reflected in the journey my own kids are taking. That's why I relate to the story of Grace. I also relate to the writers of the show who are asking the same questions I asked but it's just not their time to get all the correct answers yet. I had to wait almost 48 years for those answers while banging my head on the door confused by all the false doctrines that made no sense.

Unlike a lot on tv though, this show is asking the questions. It doesn't shy away from many Biblical references but it also doesn't show the truth as we have come to be shown by God. It's where I was for 48 years. I can relate to that.

It would be very hard to be a police officer and see the evil they see every single day and not believe that the God you've heard about is a hoax of self-righteous delusional people -- which that god is. Sometimes it is still very hard for me to hear about the evil in this world and completely understand. The faith  I have that God's plan and purpose are in control are all I can fall back on when I feel like that.

Anyway, I really enjoy this show but it's "adults" only for sure. I don't mind seeing the pure carnality of man when there is a purpose. Probably why my favorite movie is "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada." That's a whole other thread though  ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.