bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: holy spirit, or just plain memory?  (Read 6062 times)

Amrhrasach

holy spirit, or just plain memory?
« on: August 22, 2008, 07:50:03 PM »

Often times on any given day while I'm going through normal and mundane regular activities, undoubtedly my mind is busy.  Sometimes thoughts creep in that simply aren't the greatest of thoughts.  Immediately and usually a verse, or a part of a verse, will come to mind.

I've wondered most of my life:  is this the holy spirit speaking, or just my own memory of verses.

Sounds un-complicated doesn't it?

It isn't, at least for me.  If it's just my memory, it's quite possible I live in a house of cards.  And that's dangerous.

Your thoughts?

David

Re: holy spirit, or just plain memory?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:54:18 PM »

Yes it's the Holy Spirit speaking to you and chastening you through the Scriptures. The words of the Scriptures are Spirit, Truth and Life. If we're chosen of God, He uses His words to teach us, edify us, correct us etc.
David

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »

Wholeheartedly agree with David.

Even when I was in 'the world' God framed my mind with scripture to keep me from sinning more than I did.  The closer my walk has become, the more I see this operating now.

Your mind is clearly being renewed, and you should praise God for it.  If God is speaking to you in scripture planted in your mind to guard you from sinful thought, that's no doubt the Holy Spirit.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:03:39 PM »

Sounds like a normal day for me....

The warfare takes place in our minds doesn't it?

Brenda

winner08

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »

I've been asking this same question all my life. Is God really talking to me? Is it just my mind thinking He is talking to me? Most of the time I think it is the latter(my mind). But I am being told that it is God speaking to me. That God has a plan for me. Well if so, I don't know what His plan is. I do notice a big difference in my thinking and speaking on the subjects of God and some tell me they can see a huge difference in me in the last few mos or so. It all started with the founding of Bible-Truths and Ray's teachings. Thanks for everything Bible-Truth and everybody that belongs to this site.

Darren

OBrenda

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »

I think the battle is rightly dividing in our carnal mind,
[which has a carnival of characters and voices]
From the Spirit of God, Which is bringing awareness to what we will be as a new creature in Christ!

Lots of sword fighting, need of bandages for Boo-Boo's
Today I hate myself, which if I stew in long enough, maybe I'll stop being a Butt Head!
Don't Give Up!
We Need You,
Brenda

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 01:16:22 AM »

Thank you all.  It's good to know others go through this, and, to also know that others feel assured it is the holy spirit's guidance.  That's important.

Honestly, it isn't a fair fight, this.......human -vs-carnal fight, to be quite honest.  The "armor" that we are to put on, well, at least for me, doesn't seem like it could withstand a bulls-eye from a cotton que tip.     I absolutely grieve that the carnal and dire side of me is so strong.   

One of the largest mental fights is the doubting.   Here's what I mean, which will relate back to the topic post title. 
The doubting:  "you are a "hobbyist" at God's word.  There is no strength to be gained, or hoped for, because you are a vessel of dishonor.  Give it up. 

(know this, I adore Ray and his teachings.  I've read so much in the last few months that it feels like the words drip from my eyes of these revelations that Ray has been most blessed to discover and share.  It's changed my entire thinking process on God and Christ, and all things there-in. And we're talking YEARS of indoctrination and years of this question:  "Lord, where are you?)

The positive:  "no eye has seen, no ear has heard".  Keep hoping.  Keep reading.  Keep praying.  Keep learning.

I strive for the latter for strength and motivation.  But I'm telling you, it is a difficult and, clearly, a most lonely felt fight. 

Sometimes I just simply want to give up.  But in my most clearest and most true north of mind and heart, I usually hear myself saying with all stubborn intention: "I'm going to keep reading".

i was thinking about the part of your post that speaks of the "armor" that we are to put on. have you ever noticed that all the pieces of armor that we are to put on daily are all for the front of our body, as well as our head, BUT there is no armor we are to put on the back side of our bodies. indeed it must be because God has our backs. he will protect our vulnerable backsides as we put on the armor of His Word on our front side as we go into battle each day living in this world. i just find it interesting that God has our backs.  God is so cool.

claudia

WhoAmI

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 02:08:18 AM »

It is almost written as if memory is bad or not of use. If it is your memory, then what? God is still in control. When you ditch the free will stuff you quit worrying about things like that. Walk on and know God is with you.

Heidi

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 06:23:11 AM »

Sometimes I just simply want to give up.  But in my most clearest and most true north of mind and heart, I usually hear myself saying with all stubborn intention: "I'm going to keep reading".

As of late I have been going through the same motions.  Sometimes I think "what am I doing here?"  Other people clearly know so much more and English being my second language makes it difficult some times.  More often than not I sit here with a dictionary to see what certain words mean (and we all know Ray loves using them!)  ;D

But I will keep on keeping on.  I hear a lot of scriptures in my mind as well and people have also commented that I have changed.....so maybe something is happening.  "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness", God knows....I am seeking. 

Heidi :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 06:25:35 AM by Heidi »

Falgn0n

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 06:28:11 AM »

Amrhrasach, I also come from a history of "years of indoctrination" - I was so fervent, so energetic in "spreading the gospel" and conducting "spiritual warfare" and I spent literally HOURS in the Word and in Prayer - I spent ALL my energy trying to understand why God does not do the things He said in His Word He would do.

I cried out for the lives and futures of my loved-ones, pleading with God to rescue them from "hell".  He led me to MANY scriptures, the most prominent of which was "No one can come to me unless the Father Himself draw them..."

During this time, I learned to discern His leading in my life - always with scripture. Always.

He finally led me to BT, where I discovered that the "hell" I was begging Him to rescue my family from, DOESN'T EVEN EXIST!

I was physically sick for weeks after that revelation.

Now, my whole purpose for living has been taken from me.  I lived for so many years utterly incapable of believing myself to be of any worth to anyone, and then found that through the "gospel" and the fight to save sinners from hell, I could achieve some form of significance in my life.

Now that is gone too, I have nothing left to live for.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH YOUR POST?

this.......human -vs-carnal fight,

What is there to fight? - "...apart from me you can do nothing..." "...for it is God who works in  you to will and to do according to His good pleasure..."

I firmly believe that God doesn't want us doing "more", but "less".  It is He alone, by His own power and Spirit that will accomplish anything in our lives.  He will lead us where He will, through the Word, through experiences, but ultimately to His Son. There is literally and absolutely NOTHING we can do to help or hinder the process, it will all occur on His schedule and in His own timeframe.

Wether you fear that you will 'lose' the battle or believe that you will win, I think is in itself, irrelevant.

My encouragement to you is this: "don't sweat it" - let God finish the work He began in you, because He is faithful to do it. And you know that, don't you?.

Falgn0n.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.