bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Balancing Act  (Read 11022 times)

hillsbororiver

Balancing Act
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would this would be a good time to contemplate how we interact with each other especially when it comes to matters we may have differences of opinion on, I hope to keep this relatively short as the scriptures certainly give us plenty to digest.

It is a commendable thing to be vigilant in our quest for His truth, it is not a commendable thing to seek arguments, debates especially with accusations spiced with prideful and snide remarks. It is indeed a delicate balancing act, it is a godly thing to consider first the health of the body rather than being proven right, especially when it becomes obvious that agreement is not forthcoming.

Why is it so difficult to drop a subject, agree to disagree? I have a one word answer. Pride, plain and simple. Sometimes we become so engrossed or absorbed with being "right" on one point we leave behind and forget the most important points. Faith, mercy, compassion, longsuffering, patience, etc.

In 2Peter 1:4-8 we see that we are to add temperance to our knowledge, our knowledge is imperfect and will remain so until that glorious day when we see Him face to face, I suspect that is when we will truly begin to have a perfect knowledge but even then it will be a process and not instantaneous what will be instantaneous is a pure heart and a godly love for all, all these things we should strive for now at the same time recognizing our own imperfections as we behold (often perceived) imperfection in others.

Some verses to consider;

Pro 25:2  It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.

Pro 17:14  The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.

Pro 18:6  A fool's lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes.

Pro 22:10  Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.

Act 17:11  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind and searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Rom 1:29  Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

Rom 1:30  Backbiters, haters of God despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

Rom 1:31  Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Rom 1:32  Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

*Notice how "debate" ranks right up there with some mighty despicable stuff! Let us pray the following words are not being spoken to us at His return.

2Co 12:20  For I fear, lest when I come, I shall not find you such as I would and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:

As I close I wanted to add that overall the Forum has been an oasis for us to search and share together, the brethren (for the most part) have shown spiritual maturity in avoiding vain and prideful statements and this gives me joy, that is one reason I have been content to read and absorb and not post as much as I once did, which I am sure gives more than a few great joy as well!  ;)

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

Samson

Re: Balancing Act
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:48:10 AM »

Thankyou Brother Joe,

May I add, " Pride is before a crash and a haughty spirit is before a stumbling. " Proverbs. 16:18. and " Be minded the same way toward others as to yourselves; do not be minding lofty things, but be led along with lowly things. DO NOT BECOME DISCREET IN YOUR OWN EYES. " Romans. 12:16.

Ray has given us the better part of the Truth; Is it necessary, upbuilding or beneficial getting involved in these senseless debates, perhaps regarding certain words that even Theologians have and are still debating about since the Third Century C.E. as expressed in that Topic that was just locked(John. chapter one).

What we learn and have learned here far exceeds what we have learned elsewhere, if not the quantity, at least the QUALITY OF INFORMATION.

Thankyou Joe, for the reminder and I will pray to my Heavenly Father about this and look inward using self-examination.

In God's Love and Kind Regards, Samson.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:42:01 AM »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for giving us a little brotherly guidance on how we participate at this forum.  I have always appreciated your posts.

At no other time in history has there been this kind of opportunity to have contact with people from all around the world right at our fingertips.  This forum is a great blessing to have so many like minded people to share our walk with.  I have always felt it is a privilege, not just an opportunity to chat, but a privilege to post my comments on this forum.  For the most part I think this forum is that "oasis for us to search and share together," only to be disrupted from time to time I think to keep us on our toes.

May we enjoy this forum together for many more yrs or til He returns  :D

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Falgn0n

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

Kat, allow me to echo your sentiments!  ;D

I have always felt it is a privilege, not just an opportunity to chat, but a privilege to post my comments on this forum.  For the most part I think this forum is that "oasis for us to search and share together,"

I am what one might call: "A confused believer" - I don't know or understand everything that the Bible has to say about alot of things, I only know that there are a few things I CAN NEVER believe again (such as hell and tithing and so on...) I read and study and search at MANY different sources, but the insight I glean from this forum is priceless!
And I do mean from EVERYONE who posts here ;)

You guys r GR8!  :D

Thanks Joe!!

Falgn0n

KristaD

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »

Thank you Joe. I really needed that for a discussion that just started on another board that I go to, God's perfect timing never ceases to amaze me. :)

mharrell08

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »

Thank you for your comments Joe. Personally, I will try to heed to them as well.

Thanks,

Marques

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:50:44 PM »

Hi and thank you all for the positive feedback and for the additional scriptures Sampson. This came as a result of my own need to put things into perspective, it may seem like a small matter to have disputes, personality conflicts and such here but how we respond to the little things (even in our thoughts) is a very good indicator of how prepared we are to handle the big stuff.

We know how during the earthly ministry of Jesus some of the apostles were jostling for a better, more honored position in the Kingdom, before they even knew what the Kingdom was all about. If they had been listening more intently and truly sought His wisdom rather than relying on their own understanding we may not have so many examples of some rather foolish and embarassing words and actions by them recorded in the scriptures, of course this was the plan and served God's purpose and there is no doubt that their past mistakes and lack of faith were remembered along the way as they continued their own journeys. We have their testimonies as an example and admonishment as we continue along the path God has laid before us.

A part of the parable of the sower and a verse in Acts came to mind;

Mat 13:20  But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word and anon with joy receiveth it;

Mat 13:21  Yet hath he not root in himself, but endureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

Many of us know this feeling of joy upon first discovering the real Good News, it is my prayer that my heart is no longer a stony place and that this seedling He has planted is nourished by the Living Waters of His Spirit. The root must be strong to fulfill the requirements of entry into the Kingdom.

Act 14:22  Confirming the souls of the disciples and exhorting them to continue in the faith and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Some of these tribulations are the mundane every day garden variety type, how are our actions in response to these things holding up? I need work!  ;)

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe 

Vangie

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »

Very good points Joe.  I need serious work there too.  Thanks for the reminder and scripture references.  You're a true blessing in my walk.

Love in Christ,
Vangie

WhoAmI

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 02:39:16 AM »

I must say that years back when I came to this site and read posts on this forum I was amazed at how helpful others were and the extra patience and calmness they put forth. I still feel this way to this day. I understand what Joe is saying, it is something that has to be watched. I just wanted to mention this because it made a big impression on me that this forum was not a fighting place.

Jeff

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »

Very good points Joe.  I need serious work there too.  Thanks for the reminder and scripture references.  You're a true blessing in my walk.

Love in Christ,
Vangie

Hi Vangie,

Thank you for your kind and generous words, I am learning here all the time as well, with all of your help!

I must say that years back when I came to this site and read posts on this forum I was amazed at how helpful others were and the extra patience and calmness they put forth. I still feel this way to this day. I understand what Joe is saying, it is something that has to be watched. I just wanted to mention this because it made a big impression on me that this forum was not a fighting place.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I agree that it is a fairly rare occurrence that we have overt disputes with all the over the top comments that can be the standard in relatively large Forums such as BT. The biggest motivation I had in bringing this topic up is how I personally feel and think when certain posts are made, I may not respond with abrupt or challenging words but at times I am thinking them, I am disappointed in myself when this anger arises, when my patience fails, when the old man rears his ugly head.

The other reason I brought this up was for the benefit of others who also may not respond with visable anger but internally they are seething, sometimes to the point where they decide they can't fellowship with others (looking out at them) rather than looking internally at their (and my own) weakness and imperfection in the flesh.

His Peace to you all,

Joe

CEO

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 01:05:20 PM »

Joe

Your replies have changed over the couple of years I have been reading them.  They are now softer and gentler.

I like your new topic choices.  As we build I feel our way gets more interesting, but the fire and excitement of the really great news formerly hidden from us in the scripture is now foundational rather than new.

Thank you for continuing to share and post on this forum.

Askseeknock
Charles O

carol v

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:12:19 PM »

Words of wisdom as always, Joe. Thanks for the reminder.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:52:22 PM »

Pro 17:14  The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.

Does this mean what I think it means?  If so I can scarcely think of a more powerful symbol of how strife begins and how utterly difficult it is to stop once it's begun.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

Does this mean what I think it means?  If so I can scarcely think of a more powerful symbol of how strife begins and how utterly difficult it is to stop once it's begun.

;D

Hi Dave,

Yep, once it begins to flow it is very difficult to halt until it runs its course, but what a relief when it is over!

It is even more intense if a few beers are involved, in both cases!  ;)

Peace,

Joe
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:55:33 PM by hillsbororiver »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »

Thank you CEO & Carol for your responses and very kind words.

Peace,

Joe

OBrenda

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »

Hi Joe,

"Balancing"  is such a difficult thing!  I am so grateful you used that word, because thats were I can get stuck.  I'm beginning to see it's the required "Road" to the Mind of Christ.  No matter if we are a watcher or participant, we all feel off balance, when a situation turns sour!  This is usually the opportunity to see myself the clearest, But in my past, this usually involved much thinking on making myself "Right".  Or the opposite to completely blame myself.

Both must be done and examined to have balance. When we greatly esteem an enjoy someone, it's hard to see them come down a peg or two.  It takes me awhile to digest it all.  My carnal natures wants to fix the sadness, and rescue someone. But when God prunes out our sinful nature it is painfull and necessary to bring forth fruit.  It's blind pride to rush to glue back a dead twig, to a beautiful work he will accomplish in our Brothers & Sisters.  I'm learning to have more faith in God in these situations, and less in myself.

Buy meditating on the scriptures you gave, and the comments added, I will search for understanding of the weaknesses in myself.  They should not only reflect in our relationships here on the forum, but also in our struggles with those we have face to face.

You are a treasure to us,
Brenda

Beloved

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »

Good post Joe, yes it is always hard to get that guy off the throne, we have to be right and better than the other. it it a constant battle with self.

Over the last few months these battles have become less and less important to me. I have been thinking about "how did jesus do the father's will always", he had to ask in each circumstance...each disciple that came He saw each as being sent by the Father , over time he saw who listened and obeted and knew who of them would make it till the end.

He saw the blind and hungry and knew His loving Father would help them so He did. He did not see Himself...He only saw His loving Father working.

When dealing with the Religious, He pointed out their error and saw their evil and their hate of His Father. He saw that they were blind and deaf.

He did not get into worldly arguments, with Rome or with wordly topics like money.  Instead he uses parables to describe the Kingdom and the principles of the Spirit of the Law.

I have tried to go through a day like that...it was nearly impossible because my big self kept butting in like a chattering monkey. 

Arguing with the Babyloneons is a waste of time and effort, arguing with your brethern is worse because you put yourself above them.

We just have to learn to present our point and then let it go, it will be recieved or it won't....if it is Truth it will be received in time.....no bible thumping needed

1Jn 4:11  Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

Thanks Joe and others for your positive comments

beloved

Heidi

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 06:42:30 AM »

" The biggest motivation I had in bringing this topic up is how I personally feel and think when certain posts are made, I may not respond with abrupt or challenging words but at times I am thinking them, I am disappointed in myself when this anger arises, when my patience fails, when the old man rears his ugly head.

The other reason I brought this up was for the benefit of others who also may not respond with visable anger but internally they are seething, sometimes to the point where they decide they can't fellowship with others (looking out at them) rather than looking internally at their (and my own) weakness and imperfection in the flesh."

Thanks Joe...you were lead by the Spirit of God to say the above, as I was doing it myself sometimes.  Getting angry in my heart.

Love in Heidi

Beloved

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »

Heidi,

It is all in God's will, some may not be able to walk to maturity and persevere, whether they stay here or leave.

Learning a hard subject will always be slow, the harded part 'letting go and dieing to self' this is in God's hands.

Crucifying self is what leads you to Faith and the ability to do what is right in the circumstance, even if you are rebuked, humiliated and rejected.

"A life without cause not worth dying for; is not worth living for"
Martin luter King.

Like Joe said it is a real balancing act....zeal for truth and wanting to share vs making it your own cause and responsibily. We have to constantly remind ourselves that we only exist for the cause of the Kingdom. You are the servant sent for that moment ...not the Master.

beloved

kweli

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 06:51:03 AM »

Thanks for starting this thread Joe. Enlightening indeed. I agree with Heidi thatn you were led by the Spirit of God.
He only saw His loving Father working.
Not many people can bring themselves to acknowledge the Father that way. Thank you greatly Beloved. I was going through John yesterday and I was seeing something but couldn't put it in the right words. It is always the Father working. We are but mere vessels. We must acknowledge that it is all of Him, the knowledge, the works, the miracles, everything. I've just grown up a little (spiritually).  :)

All Glory to GOD
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.