bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wacky Scrabble Words  (Read 4597 times)

youthfortruth

Wacky Scrabble Words
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:26:44 PM »

Hey everyone,

Having played SCATTERGORIES in an earlier post last night, word games have been on my mind. As an avid scrabble player, I  just cannot resist sharing some of the weirdest, yet legal words I consistently see while playing.

Lacer (one who laces)

Outroar ( one who outroars)

Cager ( a basketball player)

Jo..or Joe ( meaning a sweetheart, you can only pluralize Joe though)

And probably the most strangest of all:

ZA ( slang for pizza)

No wonder why the English language can be so difficult to learn.     

OBrenda

Re: Wacky Scrabble Words
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »

Za   ???

Where or who refers to Pizza as Za? :-\

youthfortruth

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »

OBrenda,

I don't have the faintest idea. As a New Yorker I'm used to seeing some pretty odd things, but going into a pizza joint and asking for a slice of.."ZA" would get you much more then just perplexed look.  :)

frecklegirl417

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »

I like to play scrabble too! I thank you for the new words. I never heard of pizza being called za. I am from eastern Pa and if went to pizza place here an asked for za they would think you were from another planet. ;D ;D

gmik

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:39:04 PM »

Za is college slang and my kids used it often. Don't know if it is still in "vogue" or not.

I am not sure about English as being hard to learn.  Others on this forum can tell us tho.   BUT....

My son has Russian as his minor in college and the amount of time studying he has done and looking at the flashcards and his books......

RUSSIAN has to be harder!!! :D

youthfortruth

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »

Gmik,

It's curious you bring up the Russian language. Interestingly enough, in scrabble they allow Greek letters like XI, and Hebrew letters like PE, yet they don't permit the use of Russian letters.

At one time there was a controversy about using offensive words. When the first Scrabble players dictionary came out in 1978, every offensive word you could think of was inside the book. It just so happened that a holocaust survivor was playing scrabble one day and he happend to notice the word "Jew" could be used as a verb ( Jewed: meaning to bargain with). This sparked an uproar, and since then, all words that the average Joe would consider offensive have been omitted from the current fourth edition scrabble players dictionary.

Yea..I have too much time on my hands..tell me about it...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.