bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zech 14:12  (Read 4301 times)

AK4

Zech 14:12
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »

Zec 14:12
This is the plague with which the Lord will strike all the nations that fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot while they are still standing on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

Is this verse to be taken literally? If not could this verse mean something like this-- they die to the flesh (carnal mind)while still alive, the way they've seen and speak about things (religions and/or beliefs) will rot from thier eyes and mouths--(just my guess)

Anthony

David

Re: Zech 14:12
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:30:22 AM »

Not sure if Ray has covered this verse or not.
One thing is for sure, most of the Bible is NOT to be taken literally, especially the Prophets of the OT. Christ always spoke and taught in parables, and often used OT quotes in His teachings, therefore the OT quotes He used were part of His parables.

I would say you have the jist of this verse, its talking of the destruction of the desires of the flesh, the carnal mind, what part of us takes in what we lust after, namely our eyes. Christ said "Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell."
We lust first with our hearts and minds, but the things we lust after we see with our eyes.

WhoAmI

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:02:29 AM »

I can't pluck it out and cast it from me. This is why the plague must come from the Lord.

Jeff

Falgn0n

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 05:37:14 AM »

I think it is our own flesh & lust and carnality that is in and of itself the thing that becomes like a "disease" to us. Eventually, the most pleasurable things in the world become despicable and disgusting.  Think about the state of our bodies right now, as a result of the degraded food we eat and the state of our minds as a result of the degraded & erroneous information we continually take in.... all you have to do, is add "TIME" to our current lifestyle/s and eventually, the way we live in this world will destroy us (of course I'm speaking for mankind in general)

Young's Literal Translation:
...And this is the plague with which Jehovah Doth plague all the peoples who have warred against Jerusalem, He hath consumed away its flesh, And it is standing on its feet, And its eyes are consumed in their holes, And its tongue is consumed in their mouth.

AK4

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 09:09:33 AM »

Thanks all,

I have a better understanding of that verse now. 

In Jesus,

Anthony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 17 queries.