bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Translation  (Read 3972 times)

Sirach

Translation
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:06:20 PM »

" ... an experience of evil hath God given to the sons of man to humble him thereby" (Ecc. 1:13).

Is this the best translation for this verse.....becos i read a lot of other kinds of translations ...  milder kind of translations on this verse. Can anybody help me out ?

Beloved

Re: Translation
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 10:03:08 PM »

This is younngs

(Ecc 1:13)  And I have given my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom concerning all that hath been done under the heavens. It is a sad travail God hath given to the sons of man to be humbled by it.

(Ecc 1:14)  I have seen all the works that have been done under the sun, and lo, the whole is vanity and vexation of spirit!

Perhaps other have more.

We have to eat of the tree of good and evil, we need this experience to REST in the sovernignty of God.  We then learn that we can do nothing of ourselves. otherwise we would always think we could have.

beloved
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:33:33 PM by Beloved »

Kat

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 11:07:49 PM »

Hi Robin,

The word evil in that verse is translated from the Hebrew word 'ra.' 

Strong's H7451 ra‛ - bad or (as noun) evil (naturally or morally). This includes the second (feminine) form; as adjective or noun: - adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease (-ure), distress, evil ([-favouredness], man, thing), + exceedingly, X great, grief (-vous), harm, heavy, hurt (-ful), ill (favoured), + mark, mischief, (-vous), misery, naught (-ty), noisome, + not please, sad (-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked (-ly, -ness, one), worse (-st) wretchedness, wrong. [Including feminine ra’ah; as adjective or noun.]

Concordant
Ecc 1:13 I applied my heart to inquiring and exploring by wisdom concerning all that is done under the heavens: it is an experience of evil Elohim has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it.

Rotherham
Ecc 1:13 And I gave my heart to seek and to search out, wisely, concerning all things which are done under the heavens,—the same, is the vexatious employment God hath given to the sons of men, to work toilsomely therein,

LITV
Ecc 1:13  And I gave my heart to seek and to investigate by wisdom concerning all which is done under the heavens. It is an evil task God has given to the sons of men, to be afflicted by it.

RSV
Ecc 1:13  And I applied my mind to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven; it is an unhappy business that God has given to the sons of men to be busy with.

NIV
Ecc 1:13  I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven. What a heavy burden God has laid on men!

GNB
Ecc 1:13  I determined that I would examine and study all the things that are done in this world. God has laid a miserable fate upon us.

NASB
Ecc 1:13  And I set my mind to seek and explore by wisdom concerning all that has been done under heaven. It is a grievous task which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.

KJV
Ecc 1:13  And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.

Any way you look at this it means something really bad.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:30:44 AM by Kat »

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »

Any way you look and this it means something really bad.

And the word Ra should translated be Evil.  Isn't it interesting how the translators will do anything from using that word?

Craig

Ricky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »

Craig,  it sounds like the translators know what the truth says and means, why would they not translate it correctly. Is God not allowing them to do this, if this is so, then we have no reason to say they are wrong, they are translating exactly the way God wants them to. It does not make any sense why the truth is here now and what it is suppose to mean, because billions of people have died NOT knowing the truth, so what is it suppose to mean to us, and what are we to do with it. I guess God created an evil world with no Hell at the end of it which is probably good for man, because if Hell were real Heaven would be empty.
           Ricky
Your heart is God`s gift to you, what you make of it, shall be your gift to Him.

Sirach

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »

Many thanks all. This vers is a very important one to come to understanding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.