bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what does this means  (Read 11478 times)

winner08

what does this means
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:13:51 PM »

No good dead goes unpunished. What does this mean?

Beloved

Re: what does this means
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »

I searched five different translations and I cannot find this phrase in any of them , where are you getting it from, what bible what chapter verse?

beloved

OBrenda

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:04:56 PM »

Did you mean....No good deed, goes unpunished?

That means that no matter how hard you try to do good,
Someone complains,
or something bad then happens to you because of it.

Jackie Lee

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 12:31:32 AM »

I also looked for no good deed goes unpunished and didn't find anyplace in scriptures.
My sister asked me to find the verse God helps those that help themselves never found that one either.
It is not there!
I am now looking for another she asked me to find Charity begins at home, so far haven't found that one either.
Charity begins at home sounds familiar though.  :)

musicman

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »

It's almost like a catch 22 (damned if you do, damned if you don't)

Also, ya'll can search for:

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

God gave you a freewill to choose heaven or hell.

Christ died to save you from hell.

Hell is where the heart burns.

Hell to the Redskins (excuse me, hail to the . . . whatever).

ect. . .

Oh hell!!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:47:20 AM by musicman »

AK4

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 03:31:02 AM »

God helps those that help themselves never found that one either.
It is not there!

WOW i remember hearing that dozens of times

Stevernator

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:59:42 AM »

No good deed goes unpunished is a cynical saying about how the world works sometimes. Say if you help someone in need and then they try to take advantage of you or perhaps you take time at work to handle something important outside of your normal duty but you get chastised by the boss for being unproductive. Personally I think that the statement is not true; I think there are great rewards for doing what is right (not necessarily immediate).

WhoAmI

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 04:38:09 AM »

Do any of you ever get told you are just playing semantics when you tell someone that a certain phrase or scripture is not quoted as such?

Jeff

carol v

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:03:41 PM »

The road to hell is paved with good intentions = no good deed goes unpunished.

And while I agree with Stevernator that there are great rewards for doing good -- I don't know -- my life has illustrated the opposite. But I won't tell you guys my life history...you're welcome.

God helps those who help themselves -- well that's just a by-product of belief in man's free will. First we have to help ourselves by "accepting" Christ as our savior and THEN God will help us in return. I get the credit for accepting Christ, for helping myself -- gee, I'm my own savior.

When in truth and in scripture we have to empty of self, become truly humble and realize we are simply nothing good without God. I can "help myself" to go nowhere fast.

winner08

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:16:07 PM »

SORRY EVERYBODY :( :( :( I meant to say no good deed goes unpunished. give me a break. I have just got through Hurricane Gustav. I was tired. So Jeff cut me some slack, it was a mistake. I for one never quote Scripture because I can;t remember where it is in the bible. If I do I  will make sure it is accurate. Oh yea ,I never said it was Scripture. I just was asking if any of yall new what this saying meant. I have no others to ask. Is this not the off topic board?

Darren
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:25:21 PM by winner08 »

Beloved

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

Sorry to imply anything, usually it is a bible verse that people ask about, but I was misled by the spelling.  ;D

I often do not use the spellchicker, and it would not have caught yours because it was a legit word.

There are many things to ask about and there are also many fools who try to give answers    ;D ;D

beloved

Jackie Lee

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »

Hey I liked the question, it gave me the opportunity to throw in a couple of goodies!  ;D

stephen

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 05:35:31 PM »

"God helps those who help themselves" is definitely not scripture, but what I emphatically believe is
"God help those who are caught helping themselves"

love you all

Steve

Jackie Lee

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »

Is there a scripture that implys Charity begins at home?
I haven't found it if there is.

Jackie Lee

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »

Chairity begins at home maybe I found it.
<< 1 Timothy 5:8 >>

If anyone does not take care of his own relatives, especially his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

winner08

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »

I was not trying to offend anybody. I know this is the off topic light hearted board. I myself am just off.

Darren :D :D :D

rjsurfs

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »

I was not trying to offend anybody. I know this is the off topic light hearted board. I myself am just off.

Darren :D :D :D

Hi Darren,

Good to see you laughing and I am glad you made it through the hurricane... I was right in the middle of Elena in '85. 

You're thread is pretty funny if you go back and read it... I can relate as I am "just off" as well... a lot of the time!

Bobby

WhoAmI

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 12:17:14 AM »

SORRY EVERYBODY :( :( :( I meant to say no good deed goes unpunished. give me a break. I have just got through Hurricane Gustav. I was tired. So Jeff cut me some slack, it was a mistake. I for one never quote Scripture because I can;t remember where it is in the bible. If I do I  will make sure it is accurate. Oh yea ,I never said it was Scripture. I just was asking if any of yall new what this saying meant. I have no others to ask. Is this not the off topic board?

Darren

I am totally confused.  ??? Is there another Jeff on this board or is this directed at me? If me, I have no clue what I have done.

Jeff

winner08

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:07 PM »

Jeff:  I thought you were directing you comment was to me on playing semantics. If not I apologize.

Darren

WhoAmI

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 01:35:49 AM »

Jeff:  I thought you were directing you comment was to me on playing semantics. If not I apologize.

Darren

No, not at all. I was really wondering if any on here get told that when they tell others that certain scriptures or phrases are not in the bible.

All is fine Darren.

Jeff
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.