bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Feel Dissapointed And Happy All At Once...  (Read 5569 times)

Origen II

I Feel Dissapointed And Happy All At Once...
« on: May 20, 2006, 12:28:56 AM »

I may be moving up to Chicago, IL within a year and I was looking at colleges up there. I found this awesome Bible Institute (Moody) that my parents kind of wanted me to go to because it was free tuition and was acredited as a normal university and not just as a seminary.

I was a little turned off at first, though because they recquire their students to tuck in their shirts, wear certain types of clothing, and can't even wear earings (I have two in my left ear), both ON and OFF campus. Meaning that throughout my entire college career there I have to conform to a certain image.

But that wasn't what entirely bothered me...what bothered me the most was the fact that I HAD to agree with certain doctrinal positions, like the Trinity and Eternal Damnation in order to be admitted etc.

My parents suggested that I should just lie and go to the college and get my education. While I thought about that, I realized that I couldn't go there, not just because of my own convinctions, but even if I did lie I would never be able to go through that college always having to lie on my homework and papers; sooner of later someone would find out what I believe and all those months/years of education would be wasted because they would kick me out simply due to a disagreement.

I told them that not only did I not agree with that school, but that I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a place of higher learning that simply failed you or kicked you out because of a disagreement.

They took it well and didn't get on my case about it, but it feels bad to not even be able to get a good education simply because you disagree with a person's position. But at the same time it re-affirms my beliefs in knowing that the truth is not welcomed anywhere.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

SteveB

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:49:41 AM »

I feel for you man. I'd like to take some greek and hebrew and other courses from 'bible colleges' but i'd have to conform to the lies and i wont do it.

You made the right choice. YOu'll learn more on this site than you'd have ever learned in 'religious school' anyway.

I'm happy for you that your doing Gods will. I'll pray that your able to get into another college, tonight. Godwilling, He'll answer it.

Peace...Steve

orion77

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 01:02:11 AM »

Origen II, I just want to congratulate you for your courage for standing up for truth.  God has indeed blessed you with eyes to see and ears to hear.

This walk we walk is not for the weak of heart or those who feel the need to conform to society.  Your stance has honestly gained my respect.

The greatest education we can acquire in this life is to learn of Jesus in Gods way, not the way the world teaches.  Huge dividends come later, stay the course, persevere and endure.  His Spirit is in you, my friend.

God bless,

Gary

Joey Porter

Re: I Feel Dissapointed And Happy All At Once...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 03:45:22 AM »

Quote from: Origen II
I may be moving up to Chicago, IL within a year and I was looking at colleges up there. I found this awesome Bible Institute (Moody) that my parents kind of wanted me to go to because it was free tuition and was acredited as a normal university and not just as a seminary.

I was a little turned off at first, though because they recquire their students to tuck in their shirts, wear certain types of clothing, and can't even wear earings (I have two in my left ear), both ON and OFF campus. Meaning that throughout my entire college career there I have to conform to a certain image.

But that wasn't what entirely bothered me...what bothered me the most was the fact that I HAD to agree with certain doctrinal positions, like the Trinity and Eternal Damnation in order to be admitted etc.

My parents suggested that I should just lie and go to the college and get my education. While I thought about that, I realized that I couldn't go there, not just because of my own convinctions, but even if I did lie I would never be able to go through that college always having to lie on my homework and papers; sooner of later someone would find out what I believe and all those months/years of education would be wasted because they would kick me out simply due to a disagreement.

I told them that not only did I not agree with that school, but that I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a place of higher learning that simply failed you or kicked you out because of a disagreement.

They took it well and didn't get on my case about it, but it feels bad to not even be able to get a good education simply because you disagree with a person's position. But at the same time it re-affirms my beliefs in knowing that the truth is not welcomed anywhere.

Birds have nests and foxes have holes, but the Son of Man had no place to lay His head.  I assume the same will be true for His disciples in these days.  The heathen world doesn't want to hear about repentance and judgment, and the Christian world doesn't want to hear about those same heathen eventually being saved.  

I remember watching the Louis Abbott video on Tentmaker, and after he had spent many years studying Greek, he was offered a very good job teaching Greek at some Bible school.  He was all set to take the job but when they found out that he didn't subscribe to traditional Christian teachings, the job was nixed.  Just the way it is, I suppose.

You're definitely wise to refuse compromising your truths.

Daniel

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 04:00:27 AM »

You did good Origen and you did right by your own conscience and convictions. God bless you for being true to "these". How many put aaway a good conscience and shipwreck their faith in that way? I'm sure many do comprimise themselves in this way to gain the approval of men.

I'm with these guys, you did right by your conscience willing to live honestly and do whats right by your own convictions.

Daniel

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 05:59:21 AM »

2Ti 3:14  But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

Neh 9:20  Thou gavest also thy good spirit to instruct them

Psa 25:9  The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.

1Jo 2:27  But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

nightmare sasuke

Re: I Feel Dissapointed And Happy All At Once...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 06:21:15 AM »

Quote from: Origen II

Can't you take Biblical Greek and Hebrew at a college, and the languages alone, without conforming to or learning of any doctrine?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.