bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you love me you will obey me  (Read 7294 times)

Richard D

If you love me you will obey me
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »

When I read the Sermon on the Mount the message moves me with delight and wonder. As I dwell on every word uttered in that beautiful sermon I feel a sense of love, hope and peace. Then it hits home hard as I realize every word uttered I have not the ability to live by its truths.

Jesus says if I love him I will obey his commandments but the truth is I’m not able to perform and keep all His commandments to the letter. NOW having read Rays papers on free will I realize or believe I can not obey unless God allows me.

I say I love God but God says I don’t unless I obey. I’m perplexed. I know through and through I can not boast. Where to from here is all I ask.

Beloved

Re: If you love me you will obey me
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:27:51 PM »

Wow what an interesting observation, I too have been struggling with this.

As I have studied His Word, I took notice of the words he used.

One of the recent post quoted

(Luke 18:8)  "I say to you*, He will execute justice for them with quickness. Nevertheless, the Son of Humanity having come, will He find faith on the earth?"

But read the next sentence

(Luke 18:9)  Now He spoke this allegory to some, the ones having confidence in themselves that they are righteous, and despising [or, looking down on] the rest:

If God has opened our eyes, we now see that we have no free will, and that we are the beast who sat on His throne.  We know that none except God are righteous and that we are incapable of obeying the letter of the law.

If you listen to Rays teaching on Faith vs works, you now know that Faith is not only knowing but also acting like GOD IS IN TOTAL CONTROL.

We are to try to walk through this physical life seeking HIS WILL. But we have to remember that we are carnal and therefore will fall, we are to repent and continue..

It is not about reaching a pinnacle but it is about endurance.

That is why the second sentence is important re finding faith, that is why Jesus marveled at the centurion and woman from cana, and constantly chided his disciples of having little faith.

Jesus is not the Shepard of thoroughbred race horses but of sheep (someone just recently posted on their special qualities  :P ). 

We are to hear the Shepard and to follow Him...we are not to improvise or to consult mapquest.

Everything that happens is of God's Will, if we lose a job, get married, get a promotion ...all of God. Every person who comes into our life, is an opportunity to show His love, not ours.

This is a mighty work that He is working through His elect.

beloved

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:03:09 PM by Beloved »

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:52:30 AM »

Matthew 11:28  `Come unto me, all ye labouring and burdened ones, and I will give you rest, 29  take up my yoke upon you, and learn from me, because I am meek and humble in heart, and ye shall find rest to your souls, 30  for my yoke is easy (or pleasant), and my burden is light.'

A yoke ties two laborers together.  It's His yoke, and He invites us to take it with Him, rather than pull this weight on our own.  As we do, He teaches us.  He teaches us because He is meek and humble in heart.  Maybe that's the first thing He wants to teach us.  Find you some rest to your soul, Richard. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:22:26 AM »

I was just thinking about this yoke thing, and it dawned on me that the 'burden' is not a work in vain.  You don't yoke two oxen just so they can drag a plow around.  There's a purpose for it.  Maybe it's removing a stump, maybe it's plowing a furrow--but whatever it is, it's not meaningless.  We may not even know what the purpose is, but the Owner of the farm does. 

Just thoughts. 

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:53:30 AM »

Good Stuff Here!

God has always been in control, we've never had a free will.
What is different for me now, is being aware of that! I can surrender to the outcome of every detail of my life.  I need the scriptures to navigate, not mapquest ;). But he controls the winds, the currents, the storms etc.

Obedience by the Spirit of Law means more to me by:  Acknowledging him in all things, his will be done.
Obedience to the Old Law, is a check list of do's and don'ts that our carnal mind takes pride, and credit for.

If we first acknowledge He is All, it is his will that will be done.
Then to the best of our understanding of scriptures purpose to follow him. [LOVE]
Maintain our faith, through any fiery trial and trust his will, in spite of physical evidence.
Make corrections in ourselves, continue to dethrone the beast!

We become partakers of our obedience, but not the source....does this make sense?

Brenda

Sirach

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:39:15 AM »

It is so great to be among you all and just read...great post...thanks

Richard D

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:15:42 PM »

Thanks Beloved and also Dave from Tenn. as well as Sister Brenda, Every response does help me with my understanding and it’s such a joy to belong to this forum. I also learn many things from other post.

It’s good to be here as it’s something I never had before. It’s wonderful to ask and receive answers. Thank you all once again, your friend and brother in our Lord Richard.  :)

firefly77

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:51:13 PM »

Good Stuff Here!

God has always been in control, we've never had a free will.
What is different for me now, is being aware of that! I can surrender to the outcome of every detail of my life.  I need the scriptures to navigate, not mapquest ;). But he controls the winds, the currents, the storms etc.

Obedience by the Spirit of Law means more to me by:  Acknowledging him in all things, his will be done.
Obedience to the Old Law, is a check list of do's and don'ts that our carnal mind takes pride, and credit for.

If we first acknowledge He is All, it is his will that will be done.
Then to the best of our understanding of scriptures purpose to follow him. [LOVE]
Maintain our faith, through any fiery trial and trust his will, in spite of physical evidence.
Make corrections in ourselves, continue to dethrone the beast!

We become partakers of our obedience, but not the source....does this make sense?

Brenda

Brenda, To "dethrone the beast" is what it is all about. The beast must go...
I had an eye opening experience the other day... the end result was that I honestly told God, "I don't love you, but I need you." I scared myself when this came out of me... nevertheless, the more I thought about it the more I had to acknowledge that this was true. As long as the beast is there, we are incapable to really love Him because we don't have a clue what real love is all about which results in partial obedience. God has to reveal to us first what is in our hearts; it's not a pleasant journey  :'(.
So much for my ramblings... I am not sure this makes any sense  ???

OBrenda

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »

Makes sense to me Firefly,

Feels like the kid's game, musical chairs. 
As soon as you think you've kicked him off, here comes another area he likes to lord over!   ::)
Is yours as ugly as mine?   ;D
Brenda

firefly77

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »

As soon as you think you've kicked him off, here comes another area he likes to lord over!   ::)
Brenda

Much, much worse, I am sure... I have asked Him many times, "What do you want with me? I am undone; look at my heart, it is dark and oh so nasty... You will be better off without me."  He patiently takes all my ranting, raving, and grieving over my sin. He stays and continues to work in me :o. That's how I am learning to be patient with others because He is oh so patient with me.

OBrenda

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 03:14:53 PM »

Brenda

Much, much worse, I am sure... I have asked Him many times, "What do you want with me? I am undone; look at my heart, it is dark and oh so nasty... You will be better off without me."  He patiently takes all my ranting, raving, and grieving over my sin. He stays and continues to work in me :o. That's how I am learning to be patient with others because He is oh so patient with me.

Firefly you do well to face "His Royal Ugliness"...  ;)  ...And we remember the profound point Beloved made:

(Luke 18:9)  Now He spoke this allegory to some, the ones having confidence in themselves that they are righteous, and despising [or, looking down on] the rest:

If God has opened our eyes, we now see that we have no free will, and that we are the beast who sat on His throne.  We know that none except God are righteous and that we are incapable of obeying the letter of the law.

If you listen to Rays teaching on Faith vs works, you now know that Faith is not only knowing but also acting like GOD IS IN TOTAL CONTROL.

We are to try to walk through this physical life seeking HIS WILL. But we have to remember that we are carnal and therefore will fall, we are to repent and continue..

It is not about reaching a pinnacle but it is about endurance.

Jackie Lee

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »

Hi Brenda, I love this quote from your post.

What is different for me now, is being aware of that!
I agree even though I struggle at times with freewill it helps us to understand the things we are going through.

indianabob

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »

Firefly,

I like to look toward the future when we will be counseling others who knew us in this life.
What they will see in us at that time will be UNBELIEVEABLE.  They will recognize us, but not believe
what God has done with our selfish personality our faulty character.  But that is the main point.
It is God's work in us and not our work by any means.

God can make something beautiful out of that which had been ugly and base.

That revealtion should encourage others to accept the offer of "remolding" or purifying us to be like Christ.
because with God all things are possible.

So don't be discouraged by what you see in the mirror of your soul today, it will all be made beautiful when God is finished.

Regards, indianabob

Richard D

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »

This was a great thread for me. I finally received the answer I was looking for. I really enjoyed the dialog each and everyone brought to this thread it was awesome for me.

I was dealing with a belief system that’s out of tune with Gods truths. Its funny because I keep thinking I’m suppose to be perfect but I know I not. I just don’t want to pretend I want to be real.

God loved me then God loves me now. It was people that got in the way. I feel a huge burden being lifted this day. Amen Brothers and Sisters.

Sister Obrenda that’s the difference, now I know I sin. Amen. You’re Brother in Jesus and friend, Richard.

gmik

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:11:34 PM »

What a great thread folks.  I love these threads as they remind me of things I did know but forgot bcz I am in another "area" of my life.

Richard, we love newbies-they always bring a refreshing touch to us "oldies".  We catch your enthusiasm again and we get to re learn and re learn.  Love it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.