bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it wrong to read Chinese fortune cookies?  (Read 17977 times)

Richard D

Is it wrong to read Chinese fortune cookies?
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »

Last night I had order Chinese food for its nutritional value ( lol ) and it comes with Chinese fortune cookies and after eating I broke the cookies open and read what was on the little piece of paper.

As I was reading I said to myself I’m sure God has something to say about this. So the next cookie I ate I did not read from that one!  :-\

OBrenda

Re: Is it wrong to read Chinese fortune cookies?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:26:40 PM »

We already read the end of The Book;) after many Trials & Tribulations, and the LOF for many, we will all live happily ever after.

You won't be Sinning by reading a cookie message unless you believe it is magical. :-\  we know our fortune!
oh and don't bother playing the numbers....It doesn't work tried it many years ago. lol

Just my thoughts,
Brenda
 ;D

EKnight

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »

But what if it's a message from God?

Eileen

firefly77

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »

That's a good question...
Before I became a follower of Jesus, I was reading horoscopes on a daily basis for example. I would only date guys who had a certain astrological sign that was compatible with mine  ::)... I think the emphasis is on believing in their magical power to  impact or influence our lives and this is IMHO what makes it wrong and an exercise in futility. I read fortune cookies for sheer entertainment... As soon as I read it, I forgot what it said.
You and I have a 100% accurate source of truth and our future, and we know it ;D!

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »

I have to say Fortune Cookies have been real helpful from time to time........ such as;

Did you remember to order your take out also?

Sometimes even nailing the truth head on;

People who are late are often happier than those who have to wait for them.

Ideas are like children; there are none so wonderful as your own.

He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at.  ;D

Peace,

Joe

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:10:36 PM by hillsbororiver »

OBrenda

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 11:03:48 PM »

But what if it's a message from God?

Eileen

Not Impossible Eileen,
I believe God can speak to us in any way he chooses!  He spoke a message through a donkey.
I don't think anybody believes that they are actually magical, they are just fun.  I don't personally think it is bad thing, or that we should worry about it at all...

I say Enjoy & Be Blessed,
Brenda
 ;D

firefly77

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »

Eileen,
I guess it would depend on the motive of your heart  ???... If God can use a donkey to speak to Balaam, why could he not use a fortune cookie to speak to someone? Can we ever put God into a box of our own understanding... I think and in a way hope not, at least not in this life.

musicman

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

I have a lawsuit pending against all Chinese Restaurants.  I've read hundreds of fortune cookies and have yet to receive my forturne.  Plus, they are always stupid generic sayings like "you will find happiness from an unexpected source".  Aaaahhh, yeah.  That's what I'll be looking for.  Come on!!  Give me something concrete like, "you'll find 10 million $$ on the beach next Sunday evening.  Or, you'll never have to work again.  Or, women will find you attractive and charming.  Something!!  My case is based on the fact that they are falsely advertising.  Those silly boring statements aren't worth the trouble of cracking open the cookie.  They could all be true even if I lay in my bed for the next month.  Where's the fortune, man?

Douglas Wayne Thomas

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 11:12:33 PM »

Just speaking from experience, I have read many "fortune cookies" and none have ever said anything hurtful, mean, nasty, etc. However many have made me laugh and think good or better thoughts. God does work in mysterious ways and maybe; he even causes people to write things in "fortune cookies" that people might find inspirational. I do not believe that Satan controls every aspect of this world. Sometimes God seems to delight in thwarting Satan. Not really a fair fight seeing as how God created Satan.

One can see "Satanic" influences in everything if you look hard enough, things become a self fullfilling prophecy after awhile, however this website is also like that, eventually if we keep repeating the truth about God, hell, freewill etc. More and more people will begin to see the light and begin to understand God's fantastic plan for mankind, fortune cookies and all.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:14:56 PM by Douglas Wayne Thomas »

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 11:25:37 PM »

Pardon me, but I feel the urge to 'preach'.  ;D

I'm not naming names, but it is a bit over-doing it to worry about reading fortune cookies when we have our TV's on 24/7. 

Richard, you probably did the right thing not reading that second one.  Your concience is tender and that's a gift.  You did it because you want to preserve the Word in your heart, and that's a good thing too.  But you didn't sin by reading the first one.  Jesus is Lord, not some law about reading or not reading.  Do what He leads and what is wise, and obviously DON'T make an idol of what you read.  But don't make a religion out of reading or not reading either, for that SURELY is an idol.

A tender concience is a gift.  It beats an old grnarled, corrupt, seared one.  But it's not the greatest blessing.  The greatest blessing is spiritual maturity and a Life so full of Light that the darkness comprehendeth it not.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:38:30 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 11:42:36 PM »

Very Well Said Dave....Amen!
Brenda

David

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 01:48:47 AM »

Whats a fortune cookie  ???

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 02:10:54 AM »

Whats a fortune cookie  ???

It's probably an American thing, but in Chinese restaurants in the States, they usually serve a little 'cookie' with a strip of paper inside at the end of the meal.  You break open the cookie, and retrieve the paper.  On it will be some 'words of wisdom' or little sayings like those Joe posted.

I seriously doubt they've heard of it in China, either.       
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

David

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 03:09:24 AM »

I see. Well you can almost guarantee that would never take off here. Within no time flat, someone would eat the whole thing, swallow the paper inside and sue the resturaunt........  ;D ;D ;D
They often have posters inside Chinese takaways with lots of confucion "wisdom" on them.

Sirach

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:30:12 AM »

I never get a fortune cookie when i order Chinese food....I never got a fortune cookie when i ate Chinese food in China...must be something from the US  ;D

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 07:04:46 AM »

I never get a fortune cookie when i order Chinese food....I never got a fortune cookie when i ate Chinese food in China...must be something from the US  ;D

Like televangelists.   :-[

Richard D

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »

It’s so wonderful to witness the collective body of Christ with all its truths and even greater when God says there’s the pearl I send to you. And when you received enough then I will have your full trust.

No mans language can express the true joy of listening to Gods elect. Now I’m starting to feel no longer astray and hearing God say its ok.

I love you all so much! Your brother and friend in our Lord Jesus. Richard.  :)

Longhorn

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »

The last fortune cookie I read said that I would very soon meet the girl of my dreams, I new then and there it was a hoax....... Haven't read another one since... I do eat the cookie though....strictly for nutritional value.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

aqrinc

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 02:06:42 AM »

I have had many fortune cookies, yummy sometimes. Still looking
out for that Fortune i was to get shortly several years ago.
Fortune favors the fastest cookie eater; was that Sun Tzu or Confucius or Mao or Jackie

musicman

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 02:42:57 AM »

The last fortune cookie I read said that I would very soon meet the girl of my dreams, I new then and there it was a hoax....... Haven't read another one since... I do eat the cookie though....strictly for nutritional value.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

Hope you didn't meet your wife around that time.  You'll be sleepin on the couch if she reads this one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.