bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acts 11:26  (Read 5835 times)

AK4

Acts 11:26
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:19:01 AM »

I have always wondered what is the significance of this verse

Ac 11:26 -
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

Why are we told this that i put in bold and what could this mean?

Anyone know, Please help

Anthony

mharrell08

Re: Acts 11:26
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:23 AM »

Hello Anthony,

I could be wrong, but I don't see what this could mean other than the obvious. This is the first instance of Christ's disciples being referred to as Christians. A Christian, as you know, is simply one who follows Christ. The same thing as a 'Spiritual Jew', 'Member of the Body of Christ', 'Disciple', etc.

But like Paul says in Rom 2:28-29, it is not what one does outwardly but what one is inwardly that makes them so. Many people lay claim to these titles for themselves, but as Christ says in Rev. 2:9 & 3:9, they are of the synagogue of Satan (aka Babylon aka Christendom). Didn't mean to preach there, just wanted to make that point.

Hope this helps,

Marques

David

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 12:04:02 PM »

I think the significance here, as through the whole book of acts is to do with receiving the Holy Spirit. Throughout the Gospels, there were many that believed on Him, He had many disciples, and most of them by the end of His ministry wanted to kill him. They were not "spiritual Jews" "the Body of Christ", "Christians".....all of which means they were not converted, not even the 12. It was only after Pentecost that they were "converted". So, throughout the Apostles ministry, after Christ's assention, many thousands of disciples that had believed on Christ during His ministry received the Holy Spirit and were converted.
I don't believe that there is any statement in Gods word that simply means what appears to be obvious, I believe there is a spiritual parable in all of Gods word.

AK4

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »

I agree with you both.  I just find myself saying to others, when asked what am i, I say to them no i am not per se a "christian", but am of the body of Christ.

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:58:03 PM »

I know what you mean Anthony. I used to think the same until reading through Titus and I came to this:

Titus 1:15  Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled

and also

1 John 3:3  And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure

Now, I don't worry about what I call myself or what someone else calls me in terms of my belief. If someone wants to pigeon-hole me with Babylon if I call myself a Christian in conversation, so be it. You could call yourself a disciple of Christ, of the Body of Christ, Spiritual Jew, Christian, etc. and someone of Babylon will always initially think you and them are of the same false beliefs. That reason and the scriptures above are why I stopped pondering on it.

Thanks,

Marques

P.S.  David, I agree with your post as well. I meant obvious as in the name of Christian being bestowed upon the disciples for the first time at that particular time. And Christ and Paul further state what the name means in detail. Also, there are obvious statements in God's Word all over. God is love...doesn't get more simplier or obvious than that.  ;)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »

Rom. 2:24  ...for the name of God because of you is evil spoken of among the nations, according as it hath been written.

It's been my understanding that it was the general public or Jews in Antioch that referred to them as Christians, not something they named themselves.  I don't know whether it was a term of some respect, or light mockery.  But it seems to me to be more of a name adopted by the believers than given to them from authority.

But whatever it was, it no longer means the same thing because of those who wear the monicker, and even the heathens understand this.  So use it if you want, but I'd rather be called something that Jesus or the Apostles' called 'us'.  Take any from that list you want...it's all the same.  "Christian" is useful shorthand, but could put you in bad company with some you talk with.

JMO.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

WhoAmI

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 04:20:18 AM »

The more I got away from Babylon the less I cared about labels. I agree about the danger of using the term "Christian." To most people that means you believe in hell and all the other garbage. We know the churches teach a "Jesus" but is it the same "Jesus" we know?

Jeff

chuckt

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:41:55 AM »

It is my belief that this was a derogatory term placed on us, and even if we suffer for being called christians.....

1Pe 4:16 Yet if [any man suffer] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

peace
chuckt

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »

Thanks, Chuck.  That changes my mind twice.  I guess if Peter called us Christians, then we can too. 

I'm thinking that even though we have been called out, we're still part of the House of God.  Where any of us are persecuted, we all are. 

I appreciate you.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

kweli

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 06:56:36 AM »

Hyooo. This topic went well this time around.

Thanks to everybody for their attitude in this thread. The last time around there was a lot of bashing and lashing going on. I almost back-slided lol. Whatever we are, we are in deed. That takes a much higher standing in the heaven-lies. Otherwise we would be hounoring only with lips but denying Him. And there's more. But I'm glad we get the Council of GOD in this matter.

All Glory to GOD
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.