bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Some Help  (Read 4881 times)

Bob Miller

Need Some Help
« on: May 20, 2006, 08:31:46 PM »

Need some help on this! I do believe what Ray is saying here, but I would like to research it myself! Does any body have a way in which I can look into this? Thanks!  Brother Bob

COMMENT: You are out of line, Pastor Tom, when you suggest that I am "deliberately misleading." I assure you that I have hundreds of Scriptures to support what I teach, where as in the above argument, YOU HAVE NONE. It is you, Tom, who needs to be careful. There was no word in ANY literature in ANY language on earth before the second century A.D that had a single word that carried the meaning of "endless time." And that is an historical and etymological fact, Tom. Read my paper on "EVERLASTING" is unscriptural.

God be with you,

Ray

ertsky

Need Some Help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 08:38:58 PM »

i just typed "eternity concept" or something like that into google and heaps of stuff came up. as usual i started to fall asleep half way through the first paragraph LOL!

i dont seem to have been given the mental stamina required to forge through the many articles but here is an example of one of the links that came up. (this was from a muslim philosophy site)

3. The history of the concept

The earliest indisputable appearance of the concept of eternity is in Plato's Timaeus. Parmenides' description of the mode of existence of Being, or the One, in his Way of Truth is much older, but scholars disagree over whether Parmenides intended to ascribe atemporality to Being (see Parmenides §3). Whatever Parmenides meant, what Plato says about eternity is in several respects just what Parmenides says about Being's mode of existence, and to that extent at least Parmenides may be thought of as the inventor or discoverer of the concept of eternity.

Many scholars believe that Aristotle rejected Plato's notion of eternity, although there is also some textual evidence suggesting that, on the contrary, he accepted and made use of it in describing the life of the Prime Mover. Whether or not Aristotle himself accepted the concept of eternity, it is indisputable that the concept came into medieval philosophy through the Platonic rather than the Aristotelian tradition. Plotinus (§4), for instance, has a well-developed concept of eternity, and in Enneads III 7 he stresses the importance of duration in the concept. Boethius seems to have based his definition of eternity on the one Plotinus develops.

Augustine (§8), who was even more clearly in the Platonic tradition than Boethius was, understood and accepted the concept of eternity, which plays a significant part in two of his most important works, the Confessions (bk XI, ch. 11) and The City of God (bk XI, ch. 21). Like Boethius' formulations, Augustine's views of eternity were an important influence on later medieval philosophy.

In the Middle Ages, the concept of eternity was widely used and discussed. It can be found, for example, in Anselm's Monologion (ch. 24) and Proslogion (ch. 13), where it seems taken for granted, as a standard part of traditional theology. But it received its most sophisticated development in the work of Aquinas, who discussed and employed it in several of his works (for example, Summa theologiae Ia, q.10). After Aquinas, although many medieval philosophers and theologians continued to hold that God is eternal, they did not always mean by 'eternal' what Boethius (and Aquinas) had meant by it. Duns Scotus, for example, seems to have held that God's eternality is not co-occurrent with all of time.

In the modern period, with the rejection of the medieval synthesis in theology, the notion of eternity, in the special sense at issue here, was largely abandoned. Hobbes is still aware of it in the Boethian sense 'as a permanent now' (1680: 435), but Locke, for example, takes eternity to be just an infinity of temporal duration: 'By being able to repeat any such Idea of any length of time... and add them one to another, without ever coming to the end of such addition... we come by the Idea of Eternity' (1689, bk II, ch. 14).

f

Anchor

Re: Need Some Help
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 09:56:10 PM »

Quote from: Bob Miller
Need some help on this! I do believe what Ray is saying here, but I would like to research it myself! Does any body have a way in which I can look into this? Thanks!  Brother Bob

Ray

Hello,  may I share my thoughts?

Please consider James 1:5 ...... Luke 11:9-13   ........Proverbs 2:3-9 .... Prov. 4:7....

Have you been  using a  various number of Bible translations and  Interlinears in your Bible study?  (the Bible aids  that convert Hebrew and Greek to English.)  If so,  then you kow how  very helpful  these can be iin a persons personal Bible study. (!)

As we know, as Jesus said, it is our heavenly Father who actually does the teaching.  [John 6:45 ... John 8:47   (This is why Jesus would say: "for those who have ears to listen".

When we put our full trust in God , (having accepted His Son, Jesus Christ and believing upon his name as well as obeying the commandments he gave, we can have full confidence that when we need help in our learning and understanding, that when asking God in prayer, God will listen  when we ask Him for true  knowledge.  Of course we need to "keep knocking" in other words, keep praying, keep seeking for it as "hid treasure". (Proverbs 2:4)  As it takes effort to find a hid treasure, likewise it takes effort to gain knowledge and discreetion. (Wisdom)

God states that "light is sown for  the righteous".  ( Psalms 97:11) So while we ask of Him, we have to examine our Christian walk and to try to correct anything that may not be approved of by God. Proverbs 3:32 ... Prov. 4:7...

Blessings,
                  Anchor

gmik

need some help
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 12:49:59 AM »

I thought the Egyptians taught it.

Anchor

Re: need some help
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 05:41:00 AM »

Quote from: gmik
I thought the Egyptians taught it.

Huh?

Anchor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.